Long Time Lurker. Talk Me Off the Ledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike86gp

n00b
Oct 7, 2021
Williamstown, New Jersey
Hey everyone! I've been lurking one here for the better part of a year toying with the idea of selling my 86 2+2 clone. My father and I built this back in 2006 from a 65k mile V6 car and a totaled 2+2. It was actually my first car in high school ( drove it to prom and everything!) At the moment it's just taking up garage space but I would like to hear folks thoughts on selling it.. The other direction is into a modern resto-mod. I have an infant now and my other car, a 75' Corvette is not very family friendly. I have no idea what it would be worth with today's crazy car market... Anyone want to talk me off the ledge?

Attachments

• Pontiac-Grand-Prix-Aerocoupe-Mroczek-10032021-1673.jpg
    Pontiac-Grand-Prix-Aerocoupe-Mroczek-10032021-1673.jpg
    529.7 KB · Views: 102
  • Pontiac-Grand-Prix-Aerocoupe-Mroczek-10032021-1676.jpg
    Pontiac-Grand-Prix-Aerocoupe-Mroczek-10032021-1676.jpg
    329 KB · Views: 95
  • Pontiac-Grand-Prix-Aerocoupe-Mroczek-10032021-1682.jpg
    Pontiac-Grand-Prix-Aerocoupe-Mroczek-10032021-1682.jpg
    402.6 KB · Views: 107
  • Pontiac-Grand-Prix-Aerocoupe-Mroczek-10032021-1725.jpg
    Pontiac-Grand-Prix-Aerocoupe-Mroczek-10032021-1725.jpg
    419.7 KB · Views: 104
  • Pontiac-Grand-Prix-Aerocoupe-Mroczek-10032021-1766.jpg
    Pontiac-Grand-Prix-Aerocoupe-Mroczek-10032021-1766.jpg
    295.6 KB · Views: 106
Reactions: 2 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
So build a bigger garage already! You're going to need the space 'cause "baby stuff/kid stuff/yard stuff" just grows exponentially to consume any space it can claim. Toys in particular. Don't know how many dining rooms have lost their meaning due to being overrun by toys. At least with a bigger garage you will have room to stash your toys as well as a spot for the family grocery getter/mom-mobile; and she Will be wanting that, no doubt.

Essentially, my vote is that you keep your rides.

Nick

Reactions: 3 users

dgmeadows

Greasemonkey
Mar 29, 2017
Georgia
As a guy who is currently spending significant funds to build a "like my high school ride but better" resto-mod, my advice would be to keep it. It took me quite a while to find the right 1979 Olds Cutlass Calais with t-tops as a base - you would have an even more difficult time finding another GP 2+2 10 years from now.

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
If you can keep it. It will be a cool project with the new addition to your family

Reactions: 1 user

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Nice setup! Interesting to see how different paint schemes work with the lines of the 2+2.

As a fellow 2+2 owner, they aren't worth much. It's probably worth even less with the paint & interior being obviously not a 2+2 OE bodied car. Project 2+2's sell for $1000-$7500 all day long, driver quality seem to go $6500-$15000, museum quality examples see to go 12-20k.

Your car seems solid driver quality but maybe a little lower because the rebody. It's a nice car for sure but tough to get the money out,

That being said, it's going to be hard to replace with with something that's equal or better for less money. Say you get $10k out of the car which I think would be fair to decent. It's going to be almost impossible to get a roller for that price (or less) that is as nice or better. What kind of modern family friendly restomod would you want to build? A 4 door or wagon A body chevelle? If you aren't stuck to a specific chassis outside the G body, starting with the devil you know is a good call most of the time.

Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
If the frame is in as good of shape as the body, then it's worth keeping unless you have zero interest in the car. But little kids turn into big kids that would find that car ultra cool (most of the time) if they have any interest in the car hobby.

So I second Nick's recommendation - build a bigger garage haha. The LT1 makes it more valuable to me, but not to a purist.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Hey everyone! I've been lurking one here for the better part of a year toying with the idea of selling my 86 2+2 clone. My father and I built this back in 2006 from a 65k mile V6 car and a totaled 2+2. It was actually my first car in high school ( drove it to prom and everything!) At the moment it's just taking up garage space but I would like to hear folks thoughts on selling it.. The other direction is into a modern resto-mod. I have an infant now and my other car, a 75' Corvette is not very family friendly. I have no idea what it would be worth with today's crazy car market... Anyone want to talk me off the ledge?
Welcome to the site from Houston. Cool car. How long have you had it? What does it mean to you? Will you miss it when it's gone? Few of us still have our first car. You almost never get them back when they are gone. If you have a place to store it, I say keep it. Take care of it and you'll still have it when the kids are grown. Plus you can keep it running and enjoy it along the way.

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
Like dgmeadows, I too, am building a Malibu they way I wished I could when I was younger. It took forever to find another one (and it's still not a '78 like I would have liked). You said your other car is a '75 Corvette which is not family friendly. If you absolutely can't keep both cars, it may make better sense to keep the 2+2 since its a better family vehicle. This is a vehicle that is much harder to find, especially in such good condition. But if your not needing the money, keep them both and build the bigger garage!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Car seats fit in the back of A/G bodies, strollers & related items fit in the trunk. Just saying from experiance.

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
You only have two choices, keep it or sell it. If you sell, you may be right, you may be wrong. Time is the only way to tell. If you keep it and you're wrong, you're not out anything. If you're right, it's priceless. JMO

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor