Malibu wagon maximum stock tire size?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reddzedd

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 14, 2020
I've come across the usual AR Outlaw IIs and think that's the wheel I want to go with. I'm able to find the right bolt pattern and rim dimensions, but can only find 3.75" backspacing for the 15x7 and 15x8 rims. Will this also work? If not, is there a work around for the backspacing?

I should also add the 15x8s have -19mm offset, and the 15x7s have -6mm of offset.

If I understand correctly, does that put the front combined backspacing at 4", and the rears at 4.5"?

Last edited:

icr242005

Apprentice
Mar 3, 2018
The other set is of rims I have American racing) are 3.75 backspacing with 255/60/15 and they work fine. I selling those tho.

Attachments

• ACEF2C03-8C86-4F1B-837E-E43DAF772C7E.jpeg
    ACEF2C03-8C86-4F1B-837E-E43DAF772C7E.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 242

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I should also add the 15x8s have -19mm offset, and the 15x7s have -6mm of offset.
If I understand correctly, does that put the front combined backspacing at 4", and the rears at 4.5"?
AR list them as 3.76" BS for the 15 x 7 and 3.75" BS for the 15 x 8.

NJ Longroof

Random guy
Feb 27, 2020
Thank you all for the input!

Now about the car itself. It's a 1978 Malibu wagon that I recently picked up. Story says it was predominantly a California car, but moved through Arizona, Missouri, and finally Illinois where I picked it up. It has 95k on the odometer. with the stock 305, TH350, and rear end in it still.

Since it was a (mostly) southern car, it is entirely free of rust, which is rare up here in the northern states. I plan to keep it this way, my rule being it never see snow and/or salt. Right now, the plan is to get everything in working order.

The car is extremely sound mechanically speaking. The 305 has a bit of lifter tick, but that's not too concerning as it's getting swapped out soon enough. The trans shifts quickly and firmly, the plan being to rebuild it to handle a little more power later on.

The gauge cluster has seen better days; the fuel gauge constantly reads full, the charging and temperature gauges don't work, but at least the oil pressure gauge does.

The plan is to get it running soundly and slowly start 'rodding it out. All is up in the air for now, but what sounds good is a mild street build 454, rebuilt TH350, and possibly a 9 inch conversion for the rear.

Here's the best picture I have of it so far, right after some carb cleaner and a new air filter getting some fresh gas. Seems as though it has a rather cheaply done paint job, but a little buffing is proving to turn that around quite nicely.

View attachment 133613
Did you buy that from Country Classic Cars?

gofast5054

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 7, 2020
Nice to read all the info, I have a 80 Malibu wagon, want to put 315/60/15"s on it. so from what I have seen the whole frame has to go bye bye correct.
Thanks

NJ Longroof

Random guy
Feb 27, 2020
Thank you all for the input!

Now about the car itself. It's a 1978 Malibu wagon that I recently picked up. Story says it was predominantly a California car, but moved through Arizona, Missouri, and finally Illinois where I picked it up. It has 95k on the odometer. with the stock 305, TH350, and rear end in it still.

Since it was a (mostly) southern car, it is entirely free of rust, which is rare up here in the northern states. I plan to keep it this way, my rule being it never see snow and/or salt. Right now, the plan is to get everything in working order.

The car is extremely sound mechanically speaking. The 305 has a bit of lifter tick, but that's not too concerning as it's getting swapped out soon enough. The trans shifts quickly and firmly, the plan being to rebuild it to handle a little more power later on.

The gauge cluster has seen better days; the fuel gauge constantly reads full, the charging and temperature gauges don't work, but at least the oil pressure gauge does.

The plan is to get it running soundly and slowly start 'rodding it out. All is up in the air for now, but what sounds good is a mild street build 454, rebuilt TH350, and possibly a 9 inch conversion for the rear.

Here's the best picture I have of it so far, right after some carb cleaner and a new air filter getting some fresh gas. Seems as though it has a rather cheaply done paint job, but a little buffing is proving to turn that around quite nicely.

View attachment 133613
Was that listed on Country Classics in Illinois?

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Nice to read all the info, I have a 80 Malibu wagon, want to put 315/60/15"s on it. so from what I have seen the whole frame has to go bye bye correct.
Thanks
It will have to be notched. You won’t get 11-12” of tread width in the wheel well without a notch.

A skinny 285 will fit on an 8 or 9” wheel. Do you really need that last extra inch? 4.25” backspace is needed on an 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor