My 1,400rwhp TT LT1 Street Car Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drag racer

Apprentice
Jun 30, 2016
Calgary, Ab. Canada
Looking good. One of a kind. Keep the updates coming. Can almost hear the load screech from the slicks. when they are trying to catch up after a burn out. Carry on Sir.

Reactions: 1 user

3XBrownCutty

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2008
NW PA
Is this your full time job? You have to have 2x the hours into this thing because you are filming everything that you are doing. I want to be like you when I grow up.

Reactions: 1 users

RecklessRegal

Apprentice
Feb 17, 2019
Is this your full time job? You have to have 2x the hours into this thing because you are filming everything that you are doing. I want to be like you when I grow up.

No actually, and you're right it takes substantially longer when filming it. However, my day job does involve video, so it allows me to have the equipment on hand to run a channel like this.

Reactions: 6 users

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Awesome work going on here & even more so that the next GEN is assisting. I would have loved to have been introduced to the car scene in such a way. My dad didn't even change the headlights in the family cars much less be able to teach me about the correct way of building one. Kudos to you for that.

I'm over 50 now & just started doing my own fab work in the last 10yrs.

Reactions: 3 users

RecklessRegal

Apprentice
Feb 17, 2019
Awesome work going on here & even more so that the next GEN is assisting. I would have loved to have been introduced to the car scene in such a way. My dad didn't even change the headlights in the family cars much less be able to teach me about the correct way of building one. Kudos to you for that.

I'm over 50 now & just started doing my own fab work in the last 10yrs.

Thanks, my father was a mechanic for 40+ years and always had project cars, but never really had the means to do anything with them.

Done yet?

sh*t, I wish. I've been having a ton of set backs which has just destroyed my progress.

Reactions: 2 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Thanks, my father was a mechanic for 40+ years and always had project cars, but never really had the means to do anything with them.

Ditto. I honestly believe part of me is motivated by that fact.

Reactions: 2 users

RecklessRegal

Apprentice
Feb 17, 2019
Well we had a ton of delays that basically destroyed December's video. I messed up a weld which ruined a tube, you can't get 1-5/8 .083 DOM locally so it has to be shipped in and it was on back order. That, combined with travel, holidays, and work really got me in a rut; but I'm happy to say we are back.

It's time to start on the 25.3 certification, 25.3 is a standard mandated by SFI and it ensures the car is safe enough to run as fast as a 6.50 at this weight. All of the 25.x specs start out as a 10 point cage and then go insane from there, so for the cage portion I'm just using a pre-bent kit from S&W Race Cars. The main hoop fit great, the halo.... not so much. So we're still working on that.

IMG_20191119_131611.jpg

At least with the main hoop in place, I know the outer frame rails are where they need to be, so I can move on to the floor bars. This whole setback happened because I had to move the outer frame rails for the main hoop. What a clusterf*ck.

The floor bars require a few braces between the inner and outer frame rails, as well as diagonals under each seat and an X in the center of the car. This should give you a better idea.

IMG_20191229_142617.jpg

Some of these angles are way to tight to do with a notcher, at least unless you have $3,500 for a Mittler Brothers, which I do not; so I'm impressed with the fitup cutting them by hand. It's really a mind ****, but notches are all straight cuts, it's wierd because two round things mate up perfectly with a straight cut, but that's how it works.

IMG_20191231_145407.jpg

After a few days of fighting it, we finally got the passenger side all fitup and ready to be burned in place. Now that we have it figured out, the other side should be much faster.

IMG_20200101_111211.jpg

And as always, if you want to watch the video instead - here it is with my ugly *ss face included (I still hate the speaking parts in these)

Reactions: 8 users

Drag racer

Apprentice
Jun 30, 2016
Calgary, Ab. Canada
Nice. Coming along eh! At least when you get he/she appraised. Would love to see appraiser face you can say ok roll video. LOL! I noticed you have gone to a steering rack system. I would like your advise or if you know if someone make a kit for 79 Regal. My next project. Keep up the great work.

RecklessRegal

Apprentice
Feb 17, 2019
Nice. Coming along eh! At least when you get he/she appraised. Would love to see appraiser face you can say ok roll video. LOL! I noticed you have gone to a steering rack system. I would like your advise or if you know if someone make a kit for 79 Regal. My next project. Keep up the great work.

I don't really have any plans to get it appraised, but I might just for the video. I used a TRZ rack, they will have everything you need for your car and are a great group of guys to work with. It's a manual rack though, so keep that in mind.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor