Need Advice- Crashed UHaul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cuse99

Master Mechanic
Dec 21, 2020
This is a curious situation. In my experience when I rent a car I agree to take responsibility for any damage. Either I provide my insurance, I pay for the damage, or I purchase insurance at the rental desk. I've never been at a rental desk without one of these options being required before I rented the vehicle or trailer. Sounds like something is missing in this story. If the OP purchased insurance at the desk, then the OP is covered. But if not it.... what insurance info was provided at the time of rental? Did the OP give his fathers insurance policy info?

1 RARE T

Master Mechanic
Jul 14, 2015
Adulting sucks.

You rented their equipment without insurance and damaged it. You can’t really be confused why they’re coming after you?

I suspect they contacted the Company/Agent you put on the agreement and were told you don’t hold your own policy, only your father.

Dad doesn’t have any responsibility here.

Any guesses who does?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Adulting sucks.

You rented their equipment without insurance and damaged it. You can’t really be confused why they’re coming after you?

I suspect they contacted the Company/Agent you put on the agreement and were told you don’t hold your own policy, only your father.

Dad doesn’t have any responsibility here.

Any guesses who does?
My shot-in-the-dark?

The renter.

Companies have state minimum coverage of their own regardless of whether you purchase the waiver. But that company will have a subrogation right to recover against the driver.

If the driver has insurance, without an exclusion, then the insurance indemnified renter to the limits of his/her policy - and renter becomes responsible for excess.

We don't have all the info I'm sure.

But most rental companies just state if you don't have personal insurance, or if it doesn't cover, you are personally liable, including loss of use damages and diminished value. An enterprise or hertz may not even ask for policy numbers, just for you to state your deductible. Uhaul asks even less, because the agreements usually contain language letting them recover against you.

Most credit cards have rental protection, but, not for anything with a cargo compartment such as a truck bed, flat bed, cargo box, or van body... they word it pretty tight.

Many insurance companies exclude cargo carrying vehicles you rent because of the replacement cost. When listed as an additional driver via household status on another policy, there's usually restrictions on who can own a vehicle, types of damage/losses, what constitutes a covered even, etc.

So my guess is it goes like this: uhaul says only the trailer had a damage waiver. At least deductible if not exclusions (such as additional driver is only covered when operating a covered household auto) apply via the household driver policy. Renter may be violating some cooperation clause requirement if nonresponsive too long triggering other provisions. Then renter gets left holding the bag for some, if not all, damage.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I purchased insurance for the truck and trailer. I'm trying to find the contract but if I can't hopefully I can maybe find it in their system. It was less than 3 months ago.

And "still hounding" I guess is a bit of an overstatement. There was the standard calls from Uhaul and the guy/his insurance and I dealt with that. I assumed it was all done with. A few days ago is when I got a new call from Uhaul asking for insurance info, policy number, case number etc. But there is none of that. Not because I don't have my own personal insurance (my cars are registered to me but are on my dads insurance) but because the dads insurance never got involved and I don't see why they should be. I purchased the Uhaul insurance, I was using a UHAUL truck and trailer.

Plus when I dropped the replacement truck off I expected to have to answer for "where the hell is the truck we gave you" but nope. Just gave them the keys and the dude shoed me out.

I don't understand why this is even an issue. It was caused by weather. Would they still be doing this if a tornado picked the truck up and threw it at the focus?

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I haven't found the physical papers yet but I went through my texts and found these

Last pic is the fees they had me pay because duh.
Capture+_2021-04-09-01-39-47.png
Capture+_2021-04-09-01-39-59.png
Capture+_2021-04-09-01-40-05.png
Capture+_2021-04-09-01-40-15.png
Capture+_2021-04-09-01-40-21.png
Capture+_2021-04-09-01-35-28.png

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
And lastly
There was NO damage to the trailer. They let me take it with the new truck back home.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I purchased insurance for the truck and trailer. I'm trying to find the contract but if I can't hopefully I can maybe find it in their system. It was less than 3 months ago.

And "still hounding" I guess is a bit of an overstatement. There was the standard calls from Uhaul and the guy/his insurance and I dealt with that. I assumed it was all done with. A few days ago is when I got a new call from Uhaul asking for insurance info, policy number, case number etc. But there is none of that. Not because I don't have my own personal insurance (my cars are registered to me but are on my dads insurance) but because the dads insurance never got involved and I don't see why they should be. I purchased the Uhaul insurance, I was using a UHAUL truck and trailer.

Plus when I dropped the replacement truck off I expected to have to answer for "where the hell is the truck we gave you" but nope. Just gave them the keys and the dude shoed me out.

I don't understand why this is even an issue. It was caused by weather. Would they still be doing this if a tornado picked the truck up and threw it at the focus?
I've got an idea about all this.

Your damage waiver listed on your screenshot was safemove. NOT SAFEMOVE PLUS. safemove ONLY protects against damage to uhaul's truck, and not indemnify your liability for property damage to others.

It was the truck that hit that other car, NOT the trailer. That's a distinction, and it means the safetow has no bearing.

Now uhaul's policy was the primary insurance carrier. Any coverage you had would be secondary. As a plaintiff, the person whose car you hit has their choice who to go after... and corporations are easiest to get a payout from rather than collect from a private party.

It sounds like having paid the property damage claim on the vehicle you hit, (unrelated to what you were driving) they are now trying to determine if/who your insurance information is to get reimbursed by your liability carrier. And absent that, you'll need to pay them yourself.

Next time, spring for the safemove plus for the few extra dollars and they cover you on liability too. That's the big difference between the two coverage levels. Safemove provides collision/comprehensive. Safemove Plus provides collision/comprehensive AND 1,000,000 in liability

• Informative

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Cool. Wouldve been nice if I knew the one I went with was ****ing worthless.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Not ****ing worthless. If it was, you'd be on the hook for the truck damage too.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
For what it's worth, the cop already took an accident report so your insurance was going to find it and ding you for damage regardless. The police report usually lists vehicle damage as minor/moderate/heavy and where, as well as fault.

At this point, I'd just turn over the info and hope whatever policy you were on/under that was in effect at the time pays the subrogation claim so you don't owe anything.

And play sweet to the uhaul insurance people so that if your insurer doesn't pay, they work with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor