Need Advice- Crashed UHaul

Status
Not open for further replies.

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
I do not have my own insurance but am under my dads. I dont know why it would matter. Its not my personal vehicle or trailer.
If you are under your Dad's, that's ok. I'm just asking, because most places in North America, if not all it is illegal to operate ANY motorized vehicle, other than maybe some dirt bikes, ATV's etc, on public roads without valid insurance.

Because let's say, worse case scenario- you get sued by U-Haul or an insurance company. The FIRST thing the judge is gonna be wondering, is if there was some form of valid insurance at the time of the accident. If you are caught without it, not only will you lose that court battle, but you will probably lose your license.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I find it odd Uhaul doesn't require proof of insurance to use one of their vehicles.

It was essentially a blizzard, with near 60mph winds. It was so windy there was a state wide tow ban that wasnt lifted until the next day at 10am.
20210115_155327.jpg

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Don’t be surprised if u-haul is trying to get some type of governmental assistance with the repair because of the road conditions that are deemed the responsibility of the state by ‘someone’.

NY has some deal where the state is partially responsible for deer hit accidents. It’s the craziest thing ever afaic. we’re going to be on par with California before long.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Don’t be surprised if u-haul is trying to get some type of governmental assistance with the repair because of the road conditions that are deemed the responsibility of the state by ‘someone’.

NY has some deal where the state is partially responsible for deer hit accidents. It’s the craziest thing ever afaic. we’re going to be on par with California before long.
Here in Pa the state managed roads the state covers 1% of all claims regardless of who'd at fault.

Reactions: 1 user

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
What does “ under your dad‘s Insurance“ mean? That sounds questionable to me. Usually an insurance company will include other drivers under someone’s vehicle policy at extra cost. When this happens your name will be specifically listed on the vehicle policy as an authorized driver. You have your own vehicle right? How is that insured?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I've been preoccupied off-site lately, and haven't gotten on much. Lots to catch up on.

My observations- we've rented uhauls. The $8/day sounds like safety on the trailer. A test reservations shows this as the rates around here:

Screenshot_20210408-204636_Chrome.jpg

Now, their FAQ as to when damages must be paid if not covered by a damage waiver also says this:

Screenshot_20210408-204510_Chrome.jpg

Not going to opine whether their failure to charge upon return absolved you of responsibility, BUT, an argument can be made that company policy appears to require charging upon return, and, how can they prove damage charges now being made aren't including damage that occurred somehow AFTER the return?

As for stonewalling or obstructing insurance info... didn't the police ask for it at the accident scene?

Also, I'd wonder what your personal exposure becomes if your blocking answering causes some deadline to pass voiding some subrogation notice right uhaul or the other vehicle owner would've had. There may be some state law regarding your compliance. There could also be tons of fine print in the boilerplate sections of the rental agreement.

End of the day, you rented a piece of equipment. You chose to drive in the weather that was happening. You hit something and did damage. If the truck had defective suspension you could've swapped it out for another unit - we've done that many times with uhaul and penske both, everything from rough idle and engine lights on to just having cupped tires that rode horrible. If you had a valid damage waiver you call and tell your insurance that. Then you turn over the info anyways, and let your insurance assert those defenses because you know they won't want to pay.

That's my thought anyways.

Reactions: 2 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Mr. Sony,

Do you still have your copy of the rental agreement (contract)?

Drkuhar

G-Body Guru
Sep 27, 2018
Girard, IL
What does “ under your dad‘s Insurance“ mean? That sounds questionable to me. Usually an insurance company will include other drivers under someone’s vehicle policy at extra cost. When this happens your name will be specifically listed on the vehicle policy as an authorized driver. You have your own vehicle right? How is that insured?
I think his situation was like my son. He had no car of his own but the insurance had him on the policy as an occasional driver (under dads insurance) but not on the cards of mine or his mothers car ( 2 cars/3 drivers). He could drive them but was not listed on them. When i got a second car he had to be listed on it as 3 cars /3 licensed driver

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Not going to opine whether their failure to charge upon return absolved you of responsibility, BUT, an argument can be made that company policy appears to require charging upon return, and, how can they prove damage charges now being made aren't including damage that occurred somehow AFTER the return?

3 months later insurance people from Uhaul are still hounding me asking for my insurance info and what not.
Sounds like this has been going on for a while based on the (added bold) statements

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Sounds like this has been going on for a while based on the (added bold) statements
Could be, and wouldn't surprise me. Still, it doesn't sound like any charges were made at time of return, which my speculation is that their rental contract would mirror their corporate FAQs. Then again, the bigger the company, the less what they do usually makes sense.

If it was me I'd be getting my insurance involved on the front end to see if they would cover me, or if there was an exclusion.

Insurance rates will already take a hit from the police documenting the accident when the renewal searches your driving record - just like they find speeding tickets. Can't hide that it happened from them. So, if there's an exclusion, they'll tell uhaul the same thing. And if there ISNT, then there's a free lawyer to fight against paying, and maybe even a contributory negligence claim from the rental for faulty equipment... and how that works is state specific.

I just can't see not dealing with my insurance company regardless and just give them any info I could find that raises excuses and defenses. Then AFTER doing that, tell the. I was going to provide their info to uhaul.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor