MONTE CARLO New fuel tank replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
I would think the galvanized/Ni Terne coating is better than being painted. Galvanized coating won't chip away like paint. Just not sure if the galvanizing is coated in the inside as well.
If you go on rock auto it tells what the tanks are coated in. The opgi restoparts tank looks identical to the liland global which is painted silver w/ galvanized inside, the spectra tank is lead/tin Coated inside and out, the dorman tank is powder coated w/ galvanized inside.
I stand by my statement. More guys buy gm FI tanks for HACKED up ls swaps than holley FI Tech etc going into gms combined. And usually they throw money away.
I don't understand why an ls swap is a hack job, but cramming a 350 in while cutting,chopping,grinding off anything in your way is considered top notch engineering.
We all know atleast 50% of 350(sorry fresh built 383 stroker) swaps are a rat's nest inside a basket case, but that mfker will hop a coke can, and i bet u cant grab that 100$ bill off the dash, son..
But God forbid you build a harness, and use a computer. What exactly is it about an ls swap that = hack job in your eyes? Curiosity has gotten the best of me.

Reactions: 1 users

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Forgot dat 3/4 Cam and Double Hump Heads sonny....

Anticipation Popcorn GIF

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I don't understand why an ls swap is a hack job, but cramming a 350 in while cutting,chopping,grinding off anything in your way is considered top notch engineering.
We all know atleast 50% of 350(sorry fresh built 383 stroker) swaps are a rat's nest inside a basket case, but that mfker will hop a coke can, and i bet u cant grab that 100$ bill off the dash, son..
But God forbid you build a harness, and use a computer. What exactly is it about an ls swap that = hack job in your eyes? Curiosity has gotten the best of me.
It's a law of averages.

MOST, (not all) LS-Swaps you see in this part of the country are hack jobs with rats nets of wiring and rigged up, and many get abandoned halfway through. There are well-sorted ls-swaps, including on this site, that I have complemented as looking well done.

Some very ignorant folks on this site and.in this thread (not you) push a narrative regarding some of us that dislike LS engines as not appreciating the well-sorted and well done work, and like to resort to personal attacks for comments against an LS although they freely bash everyone else's cars that don't follow their tastes. Narcissistic Hypocrites if you will that can't tolerate an attack on the holy ls but bash away anything else.

SOME SBC swaps are likewise poorly done, but, Far Far FAR few hack job sbc swaps exist compared to ls ones as the cars were 1) designed to hold such a motor, and 2) very little needs to be changed to make such a switch, even 3.8 to sbc, comparatively speaking.

There are dozens of low income types around here who insist they can ls-swap a car for tb-to-pan engine plus $200 in parts and materials. They are hacks, and, their cars are hack jobs, engine bays look worse than tynan's did. And I've seen many such hack jobs around, guy who buy parts from me like to try showing off their ingenuity... if you call it that. Good luck troubleshooting such a mess. And I've been seeing them all over thr state, from higher income areas in the north side suburbs of East Cobb outside Atlanta, to when I moved down the coast and see guys from SC, coastal GA, FL... or when I'm up in MA in sept/oct and deal with guys from CT/RI/MA/VT/NH while vacationing and selling some stuff out of my new england warehouse.

For every well-sorted ls-swap around there are literally dozens of hacked up cars that are either ticking time bombs or never truly run correctly. And let's not forget how many nice otherwise original and/or survivor cars and trucks that are always for sale "original drivetrain removed and sold, have ls 5.3 available for extra money" where they hack apart a nice original car and give up their homebrew garbage ls project realizing they're in over their heads.

Many reasons to hate the ls, besides how much 97% of them always sound like garbage, an engine with a fart/gurgling exhaust note, piston slap problems, and how unreliable they are in the world of sensors failing compared to other brands that just don't seem to have any of those problems...I could keep going on other reasons to hate the ls.

But you were asking about hack jobs, and, fact is, proof is in what I see.

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
"most LS swaps are hacked and very few SBC swaps are hacked"....

So this is your bias to constantly run your head about LS swaps. Got it. 🌈

Have you even fckn seen some of the car builds out there? I've seen hacked stuff in EVERYTHING.

Hacked to good ratio isn't based on the engine type, it's based on the IQ and mechanical ability of the person "building" the vehicle.

Good well articulated mound of yapping sh*t you typed there tho. Bravo.

leonardo dicaprio bravo GIF

Last edited:

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Hacked to good ratio isn't based on the engine type, it's based on the IQ and mechanical ability of the person "building" the vehicle.
Not true. More complicated set-ups inherently present more expense to do properly, and, more opportunities to 'hack' and take shortcuts both due to those cost considerations and number of modifications necessary to pay for.

Fact remains hacked to good ratio does change between engine types, and, IQ has little to nothing to do with mechanical abilities.

But I like how you again resort to personalized attacks based on disagreement with your worldview.

Care to tell us you basis for bashing relentlessly every ford and mustang out there, incessantly, for a guy preaching ls tolerance?

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Aaaaannnd….I must’ve missed something. I thought this thread was about someone wanting a plain old replacement gas tank. OPGI does not make gas tanks. They are simply a vendor. I’d still go with a spectra premium if made in Canada. Regardless of which vendor is selling it.

Reactions: 1 users

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
It was about gas tanks. Some of us talked about gas tanks, then others talked about how gas tanks go into other's builds not to their standards apparently...which that shouldn't be of concern given it's other people's stuff.

I missed that memo also about relating it to unrelated stuff, right there with you.

Scrolling through that OPGI site I saw that too, looked like a vendor of a few brands.

jimsmonte80

Apprentice
Aug 22, 2011
Yep, this thread got way off topic.
Anyway, from what I learned, seems like the two tanks out there are Dorman and Spectra. Maybe a third, depending what OPGI uses as a supplier. But all these standard tanks for non-LS swap engines, all range from $110 to $150. I did have a spectra fuel tank installed back in 2017, which ended up rusting on the inside roof of the tank. Rust also attacked the sending unit. I can probably blame oxy fuels and condensation, which I have taken action against. But I would still like to get the best corrosion resistant tank out there.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Anyway, from what I learned, seems like the two tanks out there are Dorman and Spectra. Maybe a third, depending what OPGI uses as a supplier. But all these standard tanks for non-LS swap engines, all range from $110 to $150. I did have a spectra fuel tank installed back in 2017, which ended up rusting on the inside roof of the tank. Rust also attacked the sending unit. I can probably blame oxy fuels and condensation, which I have taken action against. But I would still like to get the best corrosion resistant tank out there.
For under $50 or so you could buy a quart of coating from a supplier like KBS or por-15 that are designed to seal the inside of the tank from any liquid making contact with the metal.

We're fortunate that repop tanks are so easily available. There's been some 30s and 40s cars and trucks I've worked on where you get 3 choices - 1) search forever for used and hope, knowing it's a PITA to ship a west cost tank due to freight rules, 2) make a fuel cell, 3) seal your existing but imperfect unit after having it cleaned as best you could.

It'd be overkill, but, coating a new tank like that from the start is likely to keep you from having any tank issues, although, sending unit may still be fair game.

Reactions: 1 user

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Anyway, from what I learned, seems like the two tanks out there are Dorman and Spectra. Maybe a third, depending what OPGI uses as a supplier. But all these standard tanks for non-LS swap engines, all range from $110 to $150.
You mean non EFI Engines, several factory GBody EFI stuff out there since 1986

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor