other rust and body issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
David,

I've seen roof skins installed with panel bonding adhesive on TV. That might be an option but mig-ing the roof skin on around the edges at the factory 'pinch' welds is relatively easy.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

malibujustin

Master Mechanic
Mar 11, 2017
David,

I've seen roof skins installed with panel bonding adhesive on TV. That might be an option but mig-ing the roof skin on around the edges at the factory 'pinch' welds is relatively easy.
Jared...was going to panel bond the half skin I got. But taking off the roof rail weatherstrip I found some ugly rust just down on the A pillar about 3-4 inches on both sides. So since the one mr Greg is sending has about 7 inches of a pillar i am going to cut it just below that and weld the whole thing on. And at the back c pillar seam. His braces look way way better than mine. But since I bought some panel adhesive I will find something to use it on. Maybe in places on the floor pan?? Thanks

Reactions: 1 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
David,

I glue roofs on all the time but only full skins not sections that half roof would be a good candidate for a tig welder but it sounds like that is not in the cards wen you do weld it you need to stop the heat transfer so it doesn't buckle from the heat you can do that by putting clay on eather side of the seam a cheeper way is wet newspaper cut in strips or folded in strips the wet paper or clay will absorb the heat and stop it from traveling threw the panel also do small tack welds and move around a lot so as to not make concentrated heat keep a body hammer and a wet rag handy cooling hot meal with a wet rag shrinks it whenever you do a weld you can tap it down with a hammer wile it's hot to keep the overall profile of the roof in check you won't always need to tho it's called hammer welding another tip is if you get in trouble and blow a hole in it you can hammer the end of a copper pipe flat like a spoon dolly and hold it to the back side of the hole and fill the hole in with the mig usually the weld won't stick to the copper it works pretty good

• Informative
Reactions: 2 users

malibujustin

Master Mechanic
Mar 11, 2017
I glue roofs on all the time but only full skins not sections that half roof would be a good candidate for a tig welder but it sounds like that is not in the cards wen you do weld it you need to stop the heat transfer so it doesn't buckle from the heat you can do that by putting clay on eather side of the seam a cheeper way is wet newspaper cut in strips or folded in strips the wet paper or clay will absorb the heat and stop it from traveling threw the panel also do small tack welds and move around a lot so as to not make concentrated heat keep a body hammer and a wet rag handy cooling hot meal with a wet rag shrinks it whenever you do a weld you can tap it down with a hammer wile it's hot to keep the overall profile of the roof in check you won't always need to tho it's called hammer welding another tip is if you get in trouble and blow a hole in it you can hammer the end of a copper pipe flat like a spoon dolly and hold it to the back side of the hole and fill the hole in with the mig usually the weld won't stick to the copper it works pretty good
Thanks for the tips. I will be cutting down on a pillar as mine are toasty about 3-4 inches down. The one I purchased from g-boz has about 7 inches of a pillar. But I will surely use those tips on the c pillar and if necessary on re-welding the b pillar to the roof structure. Thanks again

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor