other rust and body issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
Also,if you have a mig you can weld washers on and use an old slide hammer with a hook type attachment. Since I've had a Miller 210 w/argon for years, and washers are cheap,I couldn't see wasting the money on a stud gun. I never really cared for them when I worked in body shops, to bulky.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users

malibujustin

Master Mechanic
Mar 11, 2017
I don't know what year your project is, but after 1979 you should not torch braze sheet metal. They changed the makeup of the steel for 1980 on. The outside of the braze/weld area which generally would be white will eventually crack. In the 80s many body shops that still used brazing suffered huge lawsuits. That's why mig and other electric welding became the only way to go. I have seen many cars with broken sheet metal around brass/welds.
It is an 80 model. Sounds like good advice. But I have found factory brazing around the windshield to roof seams. Brass. And I am not using brass. I am using silver, tin, nickel rods. Don't know if that makes a difference. My pop silver brazed a patches onto my front fenders on my 66 malibu 12 years ago. Still on there. Can't tell it wasn't welded. Now if I had a better welder to work with i would weld it. Thanks for your input

Reactions: 1 user

malibujustin

Master Mechanic
Mar 11, 2017
Also,if you have a mig you can weld washers on and use an old slide hammer with a hook type attachment. Since I've had a Miller 210 w/argon for years, and washers are cheap,I couldn't see wasting the money on a stud gun. I never really cared for them when I worked in body shops, to bulky.
Your talking about standing them up...hmmm. good idea to pull out the dent. Thanks

Reactions: 1 users

malibujustin

Master Mechanic
Mar 11, 2017
Got the rust cut out of the door jamb and patch bent up and put in place today. Grinded down area. Needs some touch up. Then a lil por15 and lil filler. At least the rust is gone.

Attachments

• 20170530_192311.jpg
    20170530_192311.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 146
  • 20170604_195015.jpg
    20170604_195015.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 149
Reactions: 2 users

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
It's the flame that causes the damage on 1980 and later sheet metal. The factory had ways of doing it without a flame.

malibujustin

Master Mechanic
Mar 11, 2017
It's the flame that causes the damage on 1980 and later sheet metal. The factory had ways of doing it without a flame.
Looks like they smeared the brass on at the windshield points I mentioned earlier. Lol. Didn't even grind it any. The sheet metal used on my 66 was aftermarket.

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
I've read that the Harbor Freight stud gun was ok but no personal experience with it. The Magna Spot is outstanding. Studs will only do so much though. I've gotten too rough and actually pulled them off, creating a small hole. I'm no expert. On the Mig skills, just get out there and practice David. That's what it takes. I welded on two quarters, two rockers, a trunk dropoff, a wheelhouse patch, a tail panel and a door skin on my brother's car. Now I've done two rockers and five quarter panel patches on my Dad's car. I just now feel like I'm getting to where I know what I'm doing.
The harbor freight stud gun works fine the harbor freight studs suck you need good studs from an Autobody supply store also the harbor freight slide hammer has a roll lock like the stinger T handle so it works better if you don't slide the hammer the stinger slide hammer screws on the stud so it works better I often weld on a row of studs and use duck bill vice grips to pull them all at the same time

• Informative
Reactions: 3 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
I've read that the Harbor Freight stud gun was ok but no personal experience with it. The Magna Spot is outstanding. Studs will only do so much though. I've gotten too rough and actually pulled them off, creating a small hole. I'm no expert. On the Mig skills, just get out there and practice David. That's what it takes. I welded on two quarters, two rockers, a trunk dropoff, a wheelhouse patch, a tail panel and a door skin on my brother's car. Now I've done two rockers and five quarter panel patches on my Dad's car. I just now feel like I'm getting to where I know what I'm doing.
The harbor freight stud gun works fine the harbor freight studs suck you need good studs from an Autobody supply store also the harbor freight slide hammer has a roll lock like the stinger T handle so it works better if you don't slide the hammer the stinger slide hammer screws on the stud so it works better I often weld on a row of studs and use duck bill vice grips to pull them all at the same time
So mr Doug, do you think the silver brazed patches I did in door jamb will crack and fall out? Thanks
Get a mig look for a used one at home I have a Miller cricket I've had it 14 years and it was 20 years old when I got it

Reactions: 1 user

malibujustin

Master Mechanic
Mar 11, 2017

Get a mig look for a used one at home I have a Miller cricket I've had it 14 years and it was 20 years old when I got it
Wish I could afford one. Have looked around a lil for a used one. I have a cheap harbor freight flux core one that is a pos. Even my pop who has been welding and brazing for 50 yrs says it's a pos. I've seen him braze a 2 inch hole shut like it was nothing. Now I am wondering if my patch work will hold up. Pop says it looks ok. I've beat on it with a hammer. Seems solid. It is a sheet metal patch that's silver brazed around edges. My 66 is holding up fine.

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor