other rust and body issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

malibujustin

Master Mechanic
Mar 11, 2017
2017-06-05 03.31.16.jpg
The area I have circled in pic is brass that the factory put on there. Now I don't know how they did it. But it is there. Would like to know how they got it on there without it being hot. Curious???

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

malibujustin

Master Mechanic
Mar 11, 2017
It's the flame that causes the damage on 1980 and later sheet metal. The factory had ways of doing it without a flame.
Just curious about this too...how hot does propane torch get? I've read different things.

Reactions: 1 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
  • Informative
Reactions: 3 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
David,
I would definitely consider welding the roof on. If you're able to borrow a MIG. that's what I would suggest. I think it's a stronger weld than braze or silver solder.
The roof is where you need the strength. In the jamb area you should be okay.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
It's amazing how much auto body has changed over the years at work I glue panels on and weld threw the glue with a inverter technology resistance welder that's a hybrid 10000 volts off of battery power the new thing is silicon bronze mig welding on seams because manufacturers don't want us mig welding anymore I hate late model collision and all the I-CAR crap I need to know. I think anyone can go on the I-CAR web site and look up procedure not shore give it a try

• Informative
Reactions: 2 users

malibujustin

Master Mechanic
Mar 11, 2017
David,
I would definitely consider welding the roof on. If you're able to borrow a MIG. that's what I would suggest. I think it's a stronger weld than braze or silver solder.
The roof is where you need the strength. In the jamb area you should be okay.
I am going to weld the roof on mr Jack. Going to try to use the pos harbor freight welder or try to borrow my cousin miller welder if he will let me. Plus I will have pop present for that job. Experience

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
David,
Try to borrow your cousins MIG with the gas. If you're not too familiar using it, try it out on some pieces of scrap metal.

• Agree

malibujustin

Master Mechanic
Mar 11, 2017
David,
Try to borrow your cousins MIG with the gas. If you're not too familiar using it, try it out on some pieces of scrap metal.
Pop said that would be the best way to go to as the gas makes a much cleaner weld. Will do though.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
It's amazing how much auto body has changed over the years at work I glue panels on and weld threw the glue with a inverter technology resistance welder that's a hybrid 10000 volts off of battery power the new thing is silicon bronze mig welding on seams because manufacturers don't want us mig welding anymore I hate late model collision and all the I-CAR crap I need to know. I think anyone can go on the I-CAR web site and look up procedure not shore give it a try
Pop said that would be the best way to go to as the gas makes a much cleaner weld. Will do though.
Just don't do it in wind the gas is heaver than air and blows away then the weld is not shielded causing the metal to boil and pop or blow threw

• Agree
  • Informative
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor