Our 79 Monte Carlo- Pro Touring Project

UMI Performance

Master Mechanic
GBodyForum Sponsor
Jul 9, 2011
Philipsburg, Pa
Okay finally on to some updates:

Transmission- We burnt our TH400 up last fall. We tried to save a few dollars and used a Muncie 4-speed we had sitting around. We did the manual swap and got the car running and working well. The peddles are very tricky and still need some tuning, lack of time is killing us. The Muncie didn't like high RPM's and after 4 laps at Putnam Park road course it locked up seizing 1st gear.

So we decided we better do this right once and for all. A call to Bowler got us a TKO 5-speed, Quicktime bell housing and a McCleod RXT clutch. Bowler really wanted to see us with a T56 however time frame to have this car didn't allow that at this time. We have a big event next week. Bowler was able to turn this transmission around in 1 day for us, excellent service!

Headers- A few asked about headers. The Dynatech headers didn't work right on this car, they hit a lot of places so we couldn't use them. We switched to the Hedmans and so far everything is good and fitment nice. Recommended.

0618153.jpg

0618151.jpg

0618152.jpg

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Thanks for the update Ryan. Glad to see that things are progressing. Did you go with a mechanical or hydraulic clutch? Any photos of the pedals or of the header clearance with the Hedmans?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I like the TKO better than the T56. The T56 is about 50 lbs heavier and you won't need the .50 6th gear on the track.

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
You... *wipes tear from eye* You put a stick in it. :notworthy:

UMI Sales

G-Body Guru
GBodyForum Sponsor
Oct 11, 2011
Philipsburg, Pa
Another big weekend for the UMI Green Machine. We ran the Syracuse Nationals Auto-x and made it to the semi-finals. In the next to last run, I lost to my boss (did I let him win? insert evil laugh here) in the UMI Camaro.

Top four in raw time of 75 cars registered is pretty cool in my book.

Here's a cool pic of a Ferrari F430 which may have been about 2.4 sec slower than the trusty ol' Green Machine...

img_2543.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: 2 users

UMI Sales

G-Body Guru
GBodyForum Sponsor
Oct 11, 2011
Philipsburg, Pa
We just got back from the Ohio Musclecar Challenge which ironically is held in PA.

The Green Machine ran mid-pack against plenty of LS powered and newer cars. We ran a 1:08 which is two seconds faster than last year.

• Winner
Reactions: 2 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Thanks for the onboard video and you did a great job on driving the car. Your hands didn't play too much with the wheel so the car seemed to be behave properly. What gear were you running in the rear. That firebird in front of lost alot of speed in the corners but got a good jump on you on the exit and into the straight. I'm surprised your 4 link was able to push the firebird with the leaf suspension around the corners. Someone set your car up really nice. Did anyone take the tire temps after the race?

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor