Our 79 Monte Carlo- Pro Touring Project

Crossmember looks great. The welds on that rear diff are really clean too.

UMI Performance said:
Crossmember came out very nice and we are debating whether or not to offer it as a new product? It is tubular and light weight, it offers all kinds of exhaust clearance and tucks against the floor nicely.

If you can make them cheaper than the G-Force units, I'm sure people will buy them (including me probably).

I like that crossmember and how it simplifies removal and installation with it being on the bottom of the frame. I think the problem I'd encounter with that set up is I have boxed my frame but to cut a couple of holes shouldn't be a problem. If you decide to make them for a 200 4r it's just a small modification to the tongue to use it with a T5

pontiacgp said:
If you decide to make them for a 200 4r it's just a small modification to the tongue to use it with a T5
Once again meaning I would probably buy one at the right price.
Actually, according to this picture it seems like TH400 crossmember doubles as a 200-4R crossmember.
tranny_dimensions.jpg

Is that right?

Since engineering data is always better than speculation, I set up a test.

With a full weight SBC and a TH400 installed in the car, and with our prototype crossmember unloaded, I zeroed a dial indicator. I lowered the transmission onto the crossmember and it deflected 0.015". What we appear to have is a strong, lightweight, nice fitting unit!

DAED0C8C-31A9-4D0E-A7B8-BBCF3AC8A110-10987-0000080320D74A46_zps4ab81d55.jpg

--Ramey

UMI Sales said:
What we appear to have is a strong, lightweight, nice fitting unit!
Which means you're going to start selling them after a trial period in the car?? :wink: 😛
Have you weighed both that one and the factory unit? I'd be interested in seeing those numbers.

UMI Sales said:
Since engineering data is always better than speculation, I set up a test.

With a full weight SBC and a TH400 installed in the car, and with our prototype crossmember unloaded, I zeroed a dial indicator. I lowered the transmission onto the crossmember and it deflected 0.015". What we appear to have is a strong, lightweight, nice fitting unit!

DAED0C8C-31A9-4D0E-A7B8-BBCF3AC8A110-10987-0000080320D74A46_zps4ab81d55.jpg

--Ramey

what type of engine mounts are you using?

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor