Please help me

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
I'll again say that the 2004r is your best bet. Every one of them I have seen has been dual bolt pattern but I have heard some are not. For a true 400-500 horsepower your gonna be rebuilding it to handle that power if your gonna have a spirited right foot. I imagine if your building a small block like that then your gonna have a spirited right foot haha.

monte ss496

Apprentice
Oct 5, 2010
MadMax1235 said:
Oldsmobile makes excellent engines, but sbcs only get so much attention because of their MASSIVE amount of aftermarket support.
there is a reason why they made millions of chevy engines and not as many olds engines! think about it!

cutlass79

Greasemonkey
May 8, 2011
merrillan wis
the th200r4 came with 2 dif bolt pattern the chevy bolt pattern and the buick pontiac in olds bolt pattern. i have one of each sittin im my garage.one came form the stock buick 3.8 6v that came stock in my cutlass and one that was bolted to a 350 out of a monte.if u want a th200r4 to bolt to a sbc just find one with the chevy bolt pattern.im running a th400 with a shift kit now and i like it better then a stock th200r4

beermonkey9417

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
des plaines, il
200 4r has 2 bolt patterns, chevy with bop(dual pattern), and also just a bop pattern. i got mine for 85 bucks and spent 400 rebuilding it by myself. yay!
*edit*
(chevy>olds, but im biased
razz.png
)

Rocket

Greasemonkey
Oct 18, 2011
Reserve Mines, NS
monte ss496 said:
MadMax1235 said:
Oldsmobile makes excellent engines, but sbcs only get so much attention because of their MASSIVE amount of aftermarket support.
there is a reason why they made millions of chevy engines and not as many olds engines! think about it!

a higher rate of replacement parts sales due to failure :mrgreen:

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
monte ss496 said:
This is the most illogical statement I have heard in awhile.

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
Here's what the machinist working on my Pontiac 455 had to say about Olds and Chevy. He said GM picked the wrong engine to go corporate with in the late 70's, partly because the Vette crowd wouldn't want an Olds engine in it :lol: Had GM progressed with the BOP stuff they'd be light years ahead too.

He also says Olds has superior machining and better metallurgy than Chevy. He said the Chevy blocks usually have way more core shift than any other GM engine. We're talking the 1st gen blocks though. The LSx engines are a different animal though. I don't really consider those a Chevy engine anyway, it's a corporate block.

I was a Chevy man at one time myself. After venturing off into the BOP stuff it became more interesting although the parts cost a little more. IMO, the BOP stuff is easier to work on anyway (plugs above the manifolds for instance!). SBC's are good for beginners and budgets though. However, If I drove a bowtie I'd keep one in it.

monte ss496

Apprentice
Oct 5, 2010
-83MONTESS- said:
monte ss496 said:
This is the most illogical statement I have heard in awhile.
okay spock! i'm not ragging on olds engines! but you cant argue with the success of the sbc! its been in production since 1955 ! nuff said!

monte ss496

Apprentice
Oct 5, 2010
Rocket said:
monte ss496 said:
MadMax1235 said:

a higher rate of replacement parts sales due to failure :mrgreen:
it's really amusing to me that the fastest car in this guys sig has a 383 small block chevy in it! yet the man is ragging on chevy's! listen guys i've had a bunch of olds powered cars and they were nice, never had a complaint

Rocket

Greasemonkey
Oct 18, 2011
Reserve Mines, NS
I'm not raggin' on Chev, happen to like them alot...but the fastest car with the very mild 383 is in a 2450lb car, the 2 Olds' are 3375lb(455) & 3650(350)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor