problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
Get a hammer, smack the ratchet out. Really the wiring doesnt seem right but honestly I dont know what to tell ya. I wouldnt think they should all be red. Typically you would run the largest cable, the one going to your batter to the largest stud. Then the others would run to one or both of the smaller studs. I dunno though, someone may have tampered with your wiring over the years.

David Williamson

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2011
CHRIS.O said:
Get a hammer, smack the ratchet out. Really the wiring doesnt seem right but honestly I dont know what to tell ya. I wouldnt think they should all be red. Typically you would run the largest cable, the one going to your batter to the largest stud. Then the others would run to one or both of the smaller studs. I dunno though, someone may have tampered with your wiring over the years.

We already tried hitting it with a hammer still no budge.
But yeah that's what I was thinking that someone just screwed this all up before I got it.
Now I have no idea how it goes, but I guess I will put it back the way it was unless I can get an exact picture of how they go.

David Williamson

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2011
pontiacgp said:
if you can reverse the ratchet then tighten up the bolt till you get the ratchet out

That was the first thing we tried but its so wedged between that our fingers cannot reverse it.
Its just so annoying that I did this and now no way to get it off, i feel so dumb and so helpless.

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
Try a tire iron (crowbar). You may break the ratchet or the socket. Use an extension on the ratchet so that the only thing near the starter and the exhaust is the socket. I use wobble extensions, you can find them at Autozone, Advance, etc. They help with angles but arent as flimsey as swivels. I also recommend that you use 1/2inch drive ratchets and sockets if you can get them. Good luck!

David Williamson

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2011
bill said:
Try a tire iron (crowbar). You may break the ratchet or the socket. Use an extension on the ratchet so that the only thing near the starter and the exhaust is the socket. I use wobble extensions, you can find them at Autozone, Advance, etc. They help with angles but arent as flimsey as swivels. I also recommend that you use 1/2inch drive ratchets and sockets if you can get them. Good luck!

I will try that, I will also go loo for them at autozone tomorrow, to make this all a little easier.
also to have them if I ever get into a tight spot like this again.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Worst that will happen is they break so use lots of penetrating oil and be carefull. As for the wiring, one huge red wire is the battery cable and it goes on the big stud. The other red wires are the 12 volt feed for the whole car, with fusible links, and they should have large ring terminals just as big as the battery cable, as they go on there too. One wire is for the key switch and it goes to the "S" terminal on the solenoid and probably a purple wire IIRC. The other stud on the solenoid is marked "R" and is for older cars with points type ignition, just ignore it.

David Williamson

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2011
Bonnewagon said:
Worst that will happen is they break so use lots of penetrating oil and be carefull. As for the wiring, one huge red wire is the battery cable and it goes on the big stud. The other red wires are the 12 volt feed for the whole car, with fusible links, and they should have large ring terminals just as big as the battery cable, as they go on there too. One wire is for the key switch and it goes to the "S" terminal on the solenoid and probably a purple wire IIRC. The other stud on the solenoid is marked "R" and is for older cars with points type ignition, just ignore it.

Okay thank you! so very much.
So when I loosen/take off the y pipe nothing horrible will happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor