BUILD THREAD Project long time coming

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I need some help guys. I need new doors. My current ones don't look too bad from the outside, but the bottom lip is SHOT and there is no repairing it. I need a pair, and also need the glass. I found some at DVAP but between their price, and freight I just can't spend that much. If it means I wait & save my pennies, then so be it. But right now they are at $1500 shipped which seems very high to me. Maybe I'm just out of the loop on used parts prices.
Any other ideas or leads?
Have you considered reproduction door shells? They are available. So is new glass. The reproduction sheet metal always takes work to make fit right but you can buy it from someone big like Summit and do better on shipping. We put reproduction side glass in my brother's Camaro and it was a good experience.

• Informative
Reactions: 3 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Have you considered reproduction door shells? They are available. So is new glass. The reproduction sheet metal always takes work to make fit right but you can buy it from someone big like Summit and do better on shipping. We put reproduction side glass in my brother's Camaro and it was a good experience.
I have thought about aftermarket doors. Jegs has the lowest price actually. Glass is not made though. 78-81 windows are different, just a tick longer. That's why I need new ones. I have later g body glass out of a mid 80's Monte and it's just a tick too short front to back. Most people would never notice, but you can't get the seals to mate well enough so water/rain doesn't come in...

• Informative
Reactions: 2 users

Streetbu

Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Do ya fancy a trip outside the rust belt? There's a yard with tons of old stuff not 30 minutes from me. U pull as well. I really should take advantage of it as long as I'm here.
Colorado is a bit of a hike for me. About a 26 hour drive

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Streetbu

Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Reactions: 1 user

Streetbu

Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Buddy stopped by today and helped me bleed the brakes. I think I finally got them!
Need to fill the rearend with gear oil and it'll be all back together.

Had a leaking header gasket on the drivers side, removed and replaced with a stock style MLS gasket.

20230122_112805.jpg

Removed the pistons and rods from a gen 4, 5.3L I had. Will be using the rods in another LQ4 short block I have, along with the new pistons, and LS3 heads. Still have more stuff to get but I'm in no hurry. This will be next winters upgrade.
20230122_154009.jpg
20230122_150837.jpg

Reactions: 8 users

Streetbu

Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Brutally cold day. This was last night
20230203_220845.jpg

Perfect to spend it in the garage. Decided to hang the new pistons on my gen4 rods and install the rings.

20230204_124727.jpg

Ran into a few issues though. Ring lands were damaged. It was a sealed box when I got it. Must've been done at the factory. I didn't bother to look that closely at them when I got them. Had to file the burrs off the ring lands so the rings could rotate and seat all the way. 🤬

20230204_132051.jpg

20230204_132020.jpg

20230204_132015.jpg

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 8 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor