BUILD THREAD Project Olds Cool (Recognition!!)

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Greetings from Three Hills Alberta!

The car ran great on the way up, absolutely nothing bad to report. Not very sunny today, but as long as the rain holds off it’ll be a nice day. Already ran into a couple of G body owners, including fellow member @ranlett.
Great to see it out and about! I heard that ranllett guy has a sucky car. :) J/K!! Hope everyone had some fun!

Reactions: 3 users

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Saw the ol girl got spotted on one of the G Body pages on Facebook

Reactions: 6 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
  • Winner
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
Mr Worldwide....

international love pitbull GIF

I saw it on the Alberta G body group on the facebooks. I was jealous, especially considing I was in the middle of a mosquito cloud of about a million mosquitos...

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The wife said she saw that somebody had posted it on Alberta Car Shows on Crackbook, and my buddy Dustin out in Swift Current Saskatchewan sent me a pic of it on Instagram too.

Gaining notoriety I guess!

It was a great day, tons of interest and people stopping to check it out all day, my favourites were the ones that would glance over at it then stop and do a double take. There were more than a few people that were very interested in finding out how I did the brushed finish on the bumpers and trim.

The rain held off for the most part, it kind of spit a little bit off and on at times, but dry mostly thankfully. No out of town road trip would be complete without at least a little bit of excitement, and this day was no different.

All was well right up until the very end of the show, as people were leaving we decided it was time to shut it down and pack up ourselves. We packed up the chairs and cooler etc into the trunk, and once everything was in, I closed the trunk lid. It hadn’t been more than a millisecond after the “click” when I realized to my horror that the car keys were still in my jacket pocket that I had been wearing earlier that morning.

The jacket, that was now residing in the trunk that I had just closed and locked.
😖😖😖

After the panic and “wtf do we do now??” had passed, I started the grey matter working overtime. If being a mobile service tech has taught me one thing, it’s how to think on your feet. I dropped the glove box door down to access the wiring behind it and removed the orange constant power wire from the floor courtesy light connector. Carefully stuck it into the incoming side of the remote trunk release button, and voilà:

Trunk popped open, and we were outta the woods.

Obviously not my finest moment, but I think it was a pretty good recovery. The rest of the trip was uneventful thankfully, we stopped for a quick bite on the way home and I snapped a few more pics. I particularly like this side shot I took from inside the restaurant, I don’t have many good side profile pics from a distance:

DA940161-C6FA-4A7A-8349-529945EA52F1.jpeg

EC47FC86-982C-411F-BAD1-37BAA677223D.jpeg

D0106DD4-021A-47D5-BE10-54373F4C1392.jpeg

The car is currently filthy, there was a ton of airborne pollen that stuck to the car at the show, plus the dead bugs it murdered on the trip back. It was late and threatening to rain by the time we got home, so it didn’t get cleaned before I parked it. I’ll have to do that the next nice day we get here, as well as making sure the wiring I monkeyed with is properly put back together.

All for now on this car guys, thanks for following along on it still.

D.

Reactions: 15 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
The wife said she saw that somebody had posted it on Alberta Car Shows on Crackbook, and my buddy Dustin out in Swift Current Saskatchewan sent me a pic of it on Instagram too.

Gaining notoriety I guess!

It was a great day, tons of interest and people stopping to check it out all day, my favourites were the ones that would glance over at it then stop and do a double take. There were more than a few people that were very interested in finding out how I did the brushed finish on the bumpers and trim.

The rain held off for the most part, it kind of spit a little bit off and on at times, but dry mostly thankfully. No out of town road trip would be complete without at least a little bit of excitement, and this day was no different.

All was well right up until the very end of the show, as people were leaving we decided it was time to shut it down and pack up ourselves. We packed up the chairs and cooler etc into the trunk, and once everything was in, I closed the trunk lid. It hadn’t been more than a millisecond after the “click” when I realized to my horror that the car keys were still in my jacket pocket that I had been wearing earlier that morning.

The jacket, that was now residing in the trunk that I had just closed and locked.
😖😖😖

After the panic and “wtf do we do now??” had passed, I started the grey matter working overtime. If being a mobile service tech has taught me one thing, it’s how to think on your feet. I dropped the glove box door down to access the wiring behind it and removed the orange constant power wire from the floor courtesy light connector. Carefully stuck it into the incoming side of the remote trunk release button, and voilà:

Trunk popped open, and we were outta the woods.

Obviously not my finest moment, but I think it was a pretty good recovery. The rest of the trip was uneventful thankfully, we stopped for a quick bite on the way home and I snapped a few more pics. I particularly like this side shot I took from inside the restaurant, I don’t have many good side profile pics from a distance:

View attachment 200020

View attachment 200023

View attachment 200021

The car is currently filthy, there was a ton of airborne pollen that stuck to the car at the show, plus the dead bugs it murdered on the trip back. It was late and threatening to rain by the time we got home, so it didn’t get cleaned before I parked it. I’ll have to do that the next nice day we get here, as well as making sure the wiring I monkeyed with is properly put back together.

All for now on this car guys, thanks for following along on it still.

D.
You have everything but the yellow button for the trunk release?

Reactions: 2 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
You have everything but the yellow button for the trunk release?

No, it’s all there Jared. But the button is dead with the key out of the ignition. It’s on switched 12 volts. No key, no worky.

So I basically just fooled the button into thinking it had power by putting the constant 12 volt power wire from the courtesy light to the trunk popper “out” wire.

• Winner
Reactions: 5 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
No, it’s all there Jared. But the button is dead with the key out of the ignition. It’s on switched 12 volts. No key, no worky.

So I basically just fooled the button into thinking it had power by putting the constant 12 volt power wire from the courtesy light to the trunk popper “out” wire.
I didn't realize the system required the key to be on. It's been so long since I used the yellow button from that era. The button is on the dash in the Roadmaster and is always hot. That was my frame of reference.

Reactions: 2 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa

Convert it to battery hot & never worry about locking things in the trunk like that. I'm doing that as part of the RKE conversion since newer cars only lock out the switch when the car is out of park.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor