BUILD THREAD Project Olds Cool (Recognition!!)

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Okie dokie guys, update time and it's gonna be a big one again tonight.
So get comfy with your favourite beverage, and let's get down to it!

I failed to mention in my most recent update that I'm now on my last week of holidays, so it's been GO time around here lately.
I'll try and keep the text to a minimum tonight, and let the pics do most of the talking.

After another day and a bit of more filling, blocking and sanding (sometimes insanely little areas), I finally got the filler work around the back window done.

IMG_3148.JPG

IMG_3149.JPG

IMG_3151.JPG

After finishing that up mid afternoon yesterday, I consulted the reconnaissance photos I took of the 442 in the wreckers a couple weeks ago for placement of the trim studs.

I laid out 1/4" masking tape at the spots that needed a stud, as near as I could determine from my pictures.
Once I had one side laid out, I measured their placement and duplicated it on the other.

IMG_3152.JPG

IMG_3153.JPG

IMG_3154.JPG

Once I had that done, I removed any filler that may have been underneath, and began welding the studs in with the UniSpotter. I had to redo roughly a half dozen or so, just to get the optimum positioning of the mouldings once they were installed. In most instances, I didn't need to move them much, only about a 1/16" or so. This made a huge difference in how far the mouldings sat down flush tho.

Then install the clips, to make sure they went on all the way:

IMG_3155.JPG

IMG_3156.JPG

IMG_3157.JPG

Outta room for pics, so...

Continued >>>

• Winner
Reactions: 5 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Of course, with the clips installed, I had to test fit the mouldings. This was actually a fairly important step, as I mentioned earlier if I didn't, I wouldn't have known where the mouldings sat and that a couple studs needed to be moved.

Here's the mouldings in place after moving the necessary studs. Pay no attention to the condition of the mouldings, they're still in "as found" condition after pulling them from the junkyard.

IMG_3159.JPG

I'm very happy with how the mouldings fit, but if you look closely at the upper right corner of this next pic, you can see I had the slightest of gaps still, just in the one spot.
Yet another reason for test fitting.
I went back and addressed this area before proceeding any further.

IMG_3160.JPG

Other side fits great!

IMG_3161.JPG

IMG_3162.JPG

Satisfied that everything was done, I spent the remainder of the evening cleaning up the garage, and putting things away.
I really wanted to pull the car outside and blow it and the shop out, as well as give it a good sweeping but the sky was threatening, and sure enough it rained later.
Blowing the car and shop out would have to wait till morning.

This morning, while still cloudy and humid, I got the window I needed to pull it out and give it a good cleaning.
After that, it was pull it in and start masking.

IMG_3163.JPG

IMG_3164.JPG

I never would've made it as a painter.

Not because I can't paint, on the contrary, I actually love doing it, but because I absolutely DESPISE masking! I'd probably rather light my shorts on fire, with me still in them!

But I can still get by I guess...

IMG_3165.JPG

IMG_3166.JPG

Got the mixing station all set up...

IMG_3167.JPG

Continued (again) >>>

• Winner
Reactions: 6 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
After blowing everything off and giving it all one more final wipe down, I hit the front and rear window channels with 3 coats of DP50 epoxy. And yes, I did indeed prime right over those crappy old speakers! They saved me having to mask off the openings!
:rofl:

IMG_3168.JPG

IMG_3169.JPG

IMG_3170.JPG

IMG_3171.JPG

After an hour and a half cure time to top coat, I mixed up some color and began spraying it. This method is called "wet on wet", it allows for no sanding of the primer before top coating with color. It's not done very often, but in this case it was perfect for me, as these areas don't need to be absolutely perfect. They just need to be done for protection before the glass goes back in.

I apologize for the quality of these next couple pics, it was getting late in the afternoon and the lighting was kinda funny. It looks better and brighter in person, more and better pics upcoming in the next post.

IMG_3172.JPG

IMG_3173.JPG

IMG_3174.JPG

Continued >>>

• Winner

SoFloG

Royal Smart Person
Mar 9, 2016
South Florida
These tips aren't the ones I like to refer to as "leg slashers", the slant is only like 30 degrees, and the edge itself is rolled. So there are no sharp edges.
Thanks for the suggestions!

Oh bro I totally meant sharp as in like cool crisp lookin! I've always preferred the rolled stainless tips as opposed to cheap chrome rust magnets.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
With the back covered, I turned my attention to the front. The upper three sides received 3 coats of color, but I left the bottom portion untouched. This needs to be painted satin black to match the cowl and firewall areas. Unfortunately I can't do it until tomorrow, the fresh paint needs at least 12 hours to cure before it's safe to tape over.

IMG_3175.JPG

IMG_3176.JPG

IMG_3177.JPG

IMG_3178.JPG

IMG_3179.JPG

IMG_3180.JPG

Here's the pics of the back I promised earlier, now unmasked and ready to go:

IMG_3181.JPG

IMG_3182.JPG

IMG_3183.JPG

As soon as I had the first coat of epoxy on, I got on the phone with my glass guys. As some of you may know, this has been the driving force behind getting these areas done. They've been pressuring me a bit to come back and get the new windshield installed.

I was able to make an appointment for this Thursday, they'll come and install the windshield and reinstall the back window at the same time. (I've already had my good friend retint the back window after it was damaged during removal, so it's ready to go too).
Thursday is perfect, it gives the fresh paint some time to cure before the glass goes back in.

After the glass is reinstalled, I can do a small amount of reassembly. The trunklid can go back on, as well as the windshield wipers, stainless moulding, and related parts.

After the black is done at the base of the cowl tomorrow, I'll pull it outside and take some more pics.

So that's it guys. The pressures off now, and I'm relieved for it. I'm not used to being under a deadline in my hobby!
I'd love to hear your thoughts and comments, let me know what y'all think!

Till tomorrow,

D.

• Winner
Reactions: 9 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Donovan, the quality of work you've put into getting the channels prepped for paint is top notch! Now that you have color sprayed it really shows the crisp lines and attention to detail!

A huge sigh of relief to have that done and be able to get the glass back in soon. The white looks so clean, and the other color? looks absolutely amazing ;)!!!!

Now you can get back onto the passenger side sail panel and address the remaining rust issues being the pressure is off before the glass is installed!

Well done sir!!!

Scott

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
As always Donovan, the workmanship is outstanding. Obviously you don't plan for the car to be all white moving forward. I'm looking forward to learning what your two-tone plan is. Have you decided to paint the entire car?

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Awesome, top notch as always!

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Beautiful work as always, Mr. D.
You haven't left any stones unturned on this project.
I'm sure you'll be happy to finally get your glass in place.
Keep up the good work my friend. You're an inspiration to us all.

• Agree

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor