Rear Axle Identification

vonclod

Greasemonkey
Nov 19, 2012
Delta B.C.
martin.ca said:
Ideally...

axlecodeloc.gif

But on mine, I found it easier to look up the RPO codes from the VIN via the big book behind the GM parts counter. And it had been already changed in the past.
thanx man much appreciated

May 28, 2013
I also gave a 8.5 gn rearend and I am having trouble identifying the axle tube code. It is 9tp g 091. If anyone could help I would appreciate it thanks.

stevenc8337

Greasemonkey
Nov 24, 2012
NYC
im currently running a 7.5 with 4:10 gears posi trac in my Malibu out of a 1982 el camino that originally had posi 2:41 gears. if anyone is wondering about it being dependable my motor is pushing over 450hp to a worked th350 and I haven't had any issues with the rear end. when I pulled mine out the junkyard it had a metal stamp on it saying posi fluid only and a code stamped on it but I would have to go look at the car for the code.

firebuick

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 7, 2014
montreal quebec canada
here you can see both side by side notice the 7.5 the cover is not round like the 8.5

the only mode you need to do is to cut 1 inches from youre driveshaft brake , drums ,is all the same

axld86

Greasemonkey
Nov 7, 2013
between disney and bush garden,FL
does anybody have a backing plate to backing plate measurement for our factory 7.5/7.625" ? reason I ask is the 9'' G-body I ordered from a rear end shop has my wheels /rim VERY close to my frame rails, and I sold my original one before I thought to measure it.

axld86

Greasemonkey
Nov 7, 2013
between disney and bush garden,FL
does anybody have a backing plate to backing plate measurement for our 7.5/7.625'' rear ends? reason I ask is I installed a G body 9" and my wheel/rim are VERY close to my frame rails and I sold my original before I thought to measure it.

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Hey fellas, resurrecting an old thread here.
Through a very lucky set of circumstances, I stumbled on an '85 442 in the wrecking yard here. Naturally, I first determined that it was indeed the 8.5" 10 bolt, and mostly confirmed that it had the 3:73 gears (about 80% sure). I checked the RPO code on the underside of the trunklid, and it did NOT have the G80 (posi) option. Seeing that it's definitely stronger and better geared than my 2:56's, I snapped it up today anyways.
:)
Now that it's out and safely at home soon to go in, I tried researching the axle code stamped on the front of the passenger side tube. Unfortunately, nothing I've found on any of the common sites corresponds to what my stamping actually is.
Can anyone definitively decode and identify what my axel code is?
image.jpeg

In case it's not clear in the photo, it reads:
8TF G 007
Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide on this.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I would remove the cover to check the gear ratio and if it's a posi. Who knows what has been done to the rear end after all these decades and I'd want to change the oil anyway

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I would remove the cover to check the gear ratio and if it's a posi. Who knows what has been done to the rear end after all these decades and I'd want to change the oil anyway

The cover will definitely be removed and repaired/replaced as the auto wreckers I got it from punches a hole in the bottom of the cover to drain the oil before it hits the yard.
With no oil in it, fresh lube is mandatory.
All the research I've done so far points to most if not all 442 rears in '85 as having 3:73 gears. I've already confirmed its not a posi, but I found that the axle code being different than what's listed online as strange. Still hoping someone can shed some light on what this code breaks down as or meant originally. Anyone?

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
from my '85 service manual, 3.73 gears, open carrier.
IMAG0807.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor