Jun 4, 2009
I concur..."A" for effort but why would you want to do such a thing!!! :rofl:

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
84cutspreme said:
I concur..."A" for effort but why would you want to do such a thing!!! :rofl:

I give you an "A" for honesty.....why would you ever admit to doing such a thing... 8)

supkylesup

Master Mechanic
Mar 7, 2010
Toledo, OH
i dont understand it either
but it is pretty interesting
bad part is not many people are going to ever realize it used to be a cutlass
so all your hard work
wont be that noticable
till you tell them everything you did to it
which may get kind of annoying having to tell your story to everyone that calls it a regal

but wait a damn second
where do you live
you got ohio plates
where at in ohio are you located?

Crossbreed

Greasemonkey
Sep 16, 2009
Ah, the hatemail, lol.
Ok, so let me shed some light on this. Okay, for starters, I have always been a Regal fan. But for the most part any Regal I've ever found has been way out of my price range. I managed to get my hands on a beat up 85 Regal for free through a friend and I was going to fix it up (it's in the background of the photo), but alas it had rotted floors, rotted frame, rotted quarters, etc. The only things good on it at all were the front clip and the interior.
Now moving on. After income taxes came back, I had $1,000 at my disposal to try and find the right car. Still couldn't find any Regals for under $4K, but I stumbled onto an 85 Cutlass for $1,200. A solid Arizona car with very little rust (it sat in Ohio for 2 years), but it was hit in the front end and the interior was DESTROYED.
So I've got 2 85's sitting here, each needing what the other has. Unfortunately, the Regal was sooo far gone, I couldn't use it as a starting platform. So I did the opposite. I wasn't going to butcher the Cutlass to fix every rotted piece on the Regal, it would be immoral.
Trust me, I've gotten plenty of flack from my own friends about why I'm doing what I'm doing. The most common phrase was "why don't you just leave it as a Cutlass?". Answer? I don't like the way Cutlasses look. Sorry if that offends you. You're not me. I'm not about to fork over a ****load of cash fixing the interior (and frontend) of a car that I'm not really that into... especially when I have all the "donor" pieces sitting 10 feet away.
So long story short... I can't afford the Regal I want, so I'm building my own.
If it bothers you... well, sorry, doesn't bother me one bit. I actually appreciate the comment from the guy who said "After all that hard work, people aren't really gonna notice anyway", because that is what I'm actually going for. I'm not trying to advertise it with bright shiny neon signs. I'm going for subtlety.
I'm building this car for me. Not to sell. It is that far different from some old man building up a classic Ford hot-rod and throwing a Chevy 350 in it?
So as for the hate mail?... Hate away.
And the guy who said "FAIL"?... Hey it's not like I'm trying to put T-Tops from a Camaro on it. :rofl:

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
That puts the project in a whole different lite. ....good luck and kudos for trying that conversion

Reactions: 1 user

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
Not bad!.............I would try to adress the differences in the quarter lip though, maybe graft the ones from the Buick on to the cutlass to make it flow a bit better. Is the trunk off the regal too wide or narrow, or shaped totally different? Any way to get rid of the Cutlasseque rear bumper/cover set up in favor of the Regal style will help the appearence too..Good so far though.

Member # 77

Apprentice
Feb 19, 2010
Hampton Roads, Va
So basically the front 3/4th is Regal and the back 1/4 is Cutlass?

I just giggle thinking of you coming up on some young kid in traffic and they see the Regal front end. They get all excited and as you go by it turns into a Cutlass.
I guess really only real Cutlass and Regal fans will notice.
Huge project but as long as you like it who cares what others think.

I know everytime people see my Regal some like it and think wow that is cool. Then others say: OMG! you spend all that money to do that? You are nuts. Well maybe I am but I had fun and will still have fun with it.

Now all I have to do it win the lotto. :rofl:

Stoopud

Master Mechanic
May 21, 2007
Cleveland Ohio
My first car was an '80 Diplomat that I put a '78 Volare front clip on. I did it for very similar reasons (guy hit my Diplomat first time I ever drove it and wiped the front end - uncle had a rear ended '78). So I understand and respect your reasoning. It's your car and as Humpty used to say "do what you like". I wanna see the car when it is done.

I have seen one Cutlass with a Regal front clip. You could tell something was off, but you had to look for a few minutes. It definitely looked better than an un-driveable Regal or an un-driveable Cutlass. Good luck.

Remember: If necessity is the mother of invention, poverty is the father.

Reactions: 1 user

bigjoenvegas

Master Mechanic
Dec 2, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
And the guy who said "FAIL"?... Hey it's not like I'm trying to put T-Tops from a Camaro on it.

^^^^^^^^^
BURN!
It's a great idea, keep up the good work!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor