Oct 4, 2017
MEDFORD OREGON
IMG_2863.JPG
IMG_2866.JPG
IMG_2867.JPG
IMG_2868.JPG
IMG_2869.JPG
IMG_2871.JPG
Hello everyone, the wether hasn't been very nice and not having a garage sucks. But it was nice today. I wasn't going to pull the carpet out because it wasn't that bad once cleaned a little. But I wanted to make sure it wasn't rusted out underneath. There is a little rust but not to bad. Should I wire wheel the rust off and then paint it or roll on liner it? Also got the headliner removed, almost totally in one piece. Looks like there is a little surface rust up there as well. Should I wire wheel it and paint it too? The wether striping seems to do its job pretty good. It does leak in one spot. Where the door meets the bottom of the A pillar. It just gets the floor a little wet but I would rather it not leak.
Thank you
Ryan

Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Ryan,
While things are apart, you might as well prime and paint the roof and the floor. First, I would treat and repair any floor rust. You don't want to put things back together only to have to pull it all apart again.
A wire wheel should work fine for you. You might also want to add some sound deadening to the roof.
How's the condition of the headliner board? You might also want to repair any cracks and breaks prior to recovering the headliner...unless you happen to come across a good replacement.
Us wagon guys are not that fortunate finding spare parts for our cars anymore.

Reactions: 1 user

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
If you think the carpet is salvageable, you might take it to a car wash and pressure wash it. You would be amazed how much they will clean up (especially if there are heater core stains like I had). Also, be careful on what wire wheel you use on those floors. A coarse wheel can eat through good metal if you are not careful. I would recommend a brass wheel to start with.

TheLemange

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 4, 2017
MEDFORD OREGON
Ryan,
While things are apart, you might as well prime and paint the roof and the floor. First, I would treat and repair any floor rust. You don't want to put things back together only to have to pull it all apart again.
A wire wheel should work fine for you. You might also want to add some sound deadening to the roof.
How's the condition of the headliner board? You might also want to repair any cracks and breaks prior to recovering the headliner...unless you happen to come across a good replacement.
Us wagon guys are not that fortunate finding spare parts for our cars anymore.

Thank you. Luckily the rust that is there is all superficial. A little clean up then seal it. The head liner board came out almost totally whole. Just the corners where the visors were mounted it broke off. I'm not sure if I'm going to do another headliner. Being 6'4 I kinda like the extra room even if it's miniscule.

If you think the carpet is salvageable, you might take it to a car wash and pressure wash it. You would be amazed how much they will clean up (especially if there are heater core stains like I had). Also, be careful on what wire wheel you use on those floors. A coarse wheel can eat through good metal if you are not careful. I would recommend a brass wheel to start with.

The carpet was trashed. It was just mostly whole. It tore apart into pieces when I removed it. lol
Good call on the brass wheel.thank you

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Thank you. Luckily the rust that is there is all superficial. A little clean up then seal it. The head liner board came out almost totally whole. Just the corners where the visors were mounted it broke off. I'm not sure if I'm going to do another headliner. Being 6'4 I kinda like the extra room even if it's miniscule.

The carpet was trashed. It was just mostly whole. It tore apart into pieces when I removed it. lol
Good call on the brass wheel.thank you
When you get new carpet, get the ACC brand with mass backing from Rockauto. They sell it for less than anybody else, and the quality is top notch!

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: 5 users

Lovingood99

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 15, 2017
Maryland
View attachment 75119 View attachment 75120 View attachment 75121 View attachment 75122 View attachment 75123 View attachment 75124 View attachment 75121 View attachment 75124 View attachment 75125 View attachment 75126 Thanks for the info guys, appears that I don't have very good locksmiths around here. They all pretty much told me I was sh*t outta luck. Oh well I'll figure something out. Where it's parked now isn't the best place for picture but I did take a few.
The front bench is pretty roachey and crunchy, also I'm 6'4 and fat so I needed the seat to move back farther. So I ripped it out and just happened to have a 95 Nissan hardbody bench seat lying around. It fits perfect and the mounts are even in line so new mounts will be super easy to make.
Now on to a bunch of cleaning!

Hey man! I just bought a 80 LeMans too! it was also the first time ive ever tralered car home. the car runs and drives but the brakes are shotty and most of the suspension is shot as well. there was mold all over the carpet so the first thing i did was ull the carpet and clean it and dye it. Looks much better now. Its my first G-body and I love it. I've probably had it for about 2 months and ive done the carpet and a basic tune up. runs good. I still have alot of work to do on it though

Lovingood99

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 15, 2017
Maryland
Hey man! I just bought a 80 LeMans too! it was also the first time ive ever tralered car home. the car runs and drives but the brakes are shotty and most of the suspension is shot as well. there was mold all over the carpet so the first thing i did was ull the carpet and clean it and dye it. Looks much better now. Its my first G-body and I love it. I've probably had it for about 2 months and ive done the carpet and a basic tune up. runs good. I still have alot of work to do on it though

TheLemange

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 4, 2017
MEDFORD OREGON
I don't have a garage, so the lamange has sat all winter. it is starting to get nicer out again. So it is time to get working on it.
does anyone have a wiring diagram for the ignition tumbler. I don't have keys so I am just going to do a couple switches and a push button. I already took out the steering lock. I don't know about re tumbling the ignition but I plan on re tumbling the door locks and trunk lock to fit the keys my neighbor found at a garage sale. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor