The Made in USA thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 4, 2012
Speaking of Made in USA, Craftsman used to be made in the USA.

Today I called craftsman about a 71- year old egg beater drill I had that broke to see if I could still get my lifetime warrantee replacement. :rofl: I was really just bullshitting with them, but I found out in the end, craftsman tools are not actually warranted for life. They couldn't replace my 70 year old drill. :(

Wildmani

Master Mechanic
Sep 17, 2010
Brantford, Ontario, Canada
pontiacgp said:
If you read this the suppliers outside of Japan are not even mentioned...

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/03/ ... CA20120302

Japanese automakers have been working to disaster-proof their sprawling supply chains ever since last year's March 11 earthquake and tsunami devastated the country's northeastern coast, forcing many to halt or reduce car production for more than six months.

True, but there's no need for them to be mentioned in that story. They had no disaster proofing to do. One of the interesting spin offs of that whole situation was the backlog of other parts we ended up with because they were all in the pipeline.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
They do have suppliers in the US but they don't give any details about anything including numbers, they seeem to be very secretive about their suppliers. I don't trust Toyota and if you ask me they spend as little money here as they can so they can send more back to Japan

CWPottenger

G-Body Guru
Oct 9, 2012
joesregalproject said:
Speaking of Made in USA, Craftsman used to be made in the USA.

Today I called craftsman about a 71- year old egg beater drill I had that broke to see if I could still get my lifetime warrantee replacement. :rofl: I was really just bullshitting with them, but I found out in the end, craftsman tools are not actually warranted for life. They couldn't replace my 70 year old drill. :(

Most of their hand tools still are made in the USA. As for your hand drill they no longer make that product which is why it can not be replaced. If you had taken in a 70 year old wrench or socket they would have gladly exchanged it with a new one made in the USA.

Some Craftsman outlets are trying to not cover broken tools, or replace with a non USA made replacement(these are not warrantied). Sadly like all things today the customer must pay attention and demand the service they are owed.

Craftsman Hand tools do have a LIFETIME REPLACEMENT OR REPAIR WARRANTY period no exception or exclusions provided that the tool is still being manufactured.

Here is the actual wording:

Craftsman hand tools are guaranteed forever. If any Craftsman hand tool ever fails to give complete satisfaction, return it to Sears for free repair or replacement. This warranty gives you specific rights and you may also have other rights which vary from state to state. Other Craftsman tools are covered by limited warranties.

Nov 4, 2012
Well then DAMMIT I'm suing Craftsman!

No, here's what they offered me- I could take the tool into the sears, and have them bring out a manager who would then determine whether or not the tool should be covered by warranty, and if it is deemed covered, I would instead receive money in the amount the tool is worth, with the value of the tool being deemed by the manager.

I said back "well what if the manager is racist and gives me an unfair price?"
She replied- "That is up to the manager."- WTF?
I then said- well if he's gonna give me the money, do I have to give him the tool (pretend sniffle)?
Her- "Yes the tool must be turned over to the store to receive the compensation."
Me- "Well aren't there any exceptions? It has a lot of sentimental value! (Fake cry) My Grandad bought it a long time ago!(fake cry)
Her- "I'm sorry there are no exceptions, it's corporate policy."
Me- "BULLSHIT POLICIES!!! (Lots of fake crying)"

She actually didn't hang up in me. She went on to explain the policy and the purpose of the policy and everything, for about 15 minutes. I got a kick out of it anyways.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Hmmm, as much as I love Craftsman tools, we all know Sears doesn't "make" anything. It is contracted out and re-badged as Craftsman or whatever. I wonder who actually makes the tools, and where? WFIW they rarely break and I always get them replaced, no problemo.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Thank's Steve. "Craftsman brand hand tools, made for SEARS by Danaher Tool Group, are now a mix of USA-made and imported. (Craftsman power tools are imported). Available from SEARS and KMart. " I guess that's the K-mart influence. I will have to eyeball each one I buy from now on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor