BUILD THREAD Tomeal's Elky Build

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
I believe oil fill tube needs a large O ring that seals to valve cover
Feels loose enough like one should be there. Started looking before and wasn't coming across anything. May have to hit a dealer to get a part number. Or dig around online longer to find it.

Reactions: 1 user

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Fixed it for ya!

View attachment 202262

So another question. Since my engine came out of an express box truck the power steering had a remote reservoir. Me trying to be frugal, I'm looking for an inexpensive option. I have the one off the box truck, just not sure of a good place to put it. Don't really want to buy a new pump with a reservoir. Don't have the front clip on, maybe I'm missing an idea there. Anybody else have any ideas?

View attachment 202265

I also bought a truck oil fill tube. It seems loose. I think there should be some kind of gasket on it. Anyone know if it needs one?

View attachment 202267

Anyways next is hooking up the brakes for the 8.8. Guess I will have to start plumbing the fuel system also.

Man I got a bunch of sh*t to work on and I'm here just staring at it brainstorming!

Yes, it needs an o-ring. And pretty much any container will work.

Reactions: 1 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
You need the correct o-ring on that. You got ‘part guyed’ on that thing.

The o-ring is very fat and will see very tight with a new one. They get flat-ish after seeing some heat.

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
After digging around on a gm parts site I think I might have found something. Found that the diesel motors use the same o ring on the cap and filler neck.

As a test took the o ring off my cap and put it on the filler neck....

IMG_20220710_142206969_HDR.jpg

It's just barely loose enough to spin. I think it will seat fine. I'll pick up a new one for the cap this week and try it on there to see if it's any better. This cap came off another motor.

Reactions: 2 users

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
Got the caliper out and measured. The cap and the filler neck came out almost the same. Pretty sure when I get the new o ring it will work fine.

So anyone who gets a donor motor from an express/savanna, it looks like the oil fill cap gasket will work on the oil filler neck.

Gathered up the rear brake hoses for the 8.8 to figure out what all I need to connect it to my existing lines.

Got the sending unit, going to stop and see how I want to start to plumb that.

May try to get the clip put back on this week so I can start to figure out all the plumbing up there. Slow progress, but progress.

Reactions: 3 users

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
Got the new o rings in today. Fit snug on the filler neck. Felt good and secure when I installed the neck into the valve cover.

Also got a rear center brake hose for a 92 astro. It is longer than the stocker. Has the same connections.

Got adapters to convert from metric bubble flair on the axle to sae on the longer astro line. Just need to fit hard lines in on the axle.

Reactions: 4 users

Ugly1

Royal Smart Person
Oct 26, 2021
Lost in the woods of NH
I'm going to have a lot of questions coming soon, and it's easier to have them in one place.

I guess a pic to get things started.

View attachment 198563

Current state of the s!ht show.

I will update with where it was, and how it came along this week as I dig up old pictures of progress.
that happens.everything takes longer than we think it should.these small doses of progress like dropping an engine in place or getting the nose hung back on always kept me moving forward.sometimes NOT looking at the overall picture works out,it's easy to become overwhelmed. think smaller obtainable goals if you have to.
I know that one well!

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor