Water in cylinders, now what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LT1B-Body

Greasemonkey
Feb 25, 2021
Maricopa Arizona
I got it unstuck! Only got it rotated about 270 degrees tho.
I used a sweet little flywheel turner.

Reactions: 3 users

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
Buy a wrecked or blown trans g-series van with a 350 engine. Running should be $500 or less for the entire vehicle.

Pull the engine, scrap the remaining 3500# for $300 and sell the cat converter.

Engine is free, direct swap it into your car in a couple hours labor.

Done.
If you go this route, as an additional incentive you can take the TBI wiring harness and computer with the motor.

It only takes about 30 minutes to remove and is basically a stand-alone EFI system. Being in a van, there is extra wire lengths to work with and the computer slots right in where the CCC computer would be in the passenger footwell.

Reactions: 1 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
If you go this route, as an additional incentive you can take the TBI wiring harness and computer with the motor.

It only takes about 30 minutes to remove and is basically a stand-alone EFI system. Being in a van, there is extra wire lengths to work with and the computer slots right in where the CCC computer would be in the passenger footwell.
Also, depending on year you choose, comes with a bonus serpentine setup saving a couple hundred

Reactions: 1 user

LT1B-Body

Greasemonkey
Feb 25, 2021
Maricopa Arizona

This is a good idea!
I have a tbi 305 in my caprice wagon, so I already have a bit of experience with it.

LT1B-Body

Greasemonkey
Feb 25, 2021
Maricopa Arizona
Earlier this morning I hooked up a fresh battery and cranked it over, and it made it past the rough patch. It's spins freely now.
I'm still try to get it started though.

After it starts and I can test the trans, I'll pop a head off soon to see how it looks.

LT1B-Body

Greasemonkey
Feb 25, 2021
Maricopa Arizona
What color did chevrolet paint their engines in '78? Did they go to black yet?
I scraped some grease off the oil pan, and chevy orange shone through.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
What color did chevrolet paint their engines in '78? Did they go to black yet?
I scraped some grease off the oil pan, and chevy orange shone through.
Change to blue was supposed to be in 1975 when they went to unleaded gas. Some people say they had some 76 trucks with orange, but may have been summer/fall of 75 builds. Also recall that engines would be assembled a few months prior to installation at a different plant.

Pretty much anything built later in 1976 calendar year onwards switched over is the concensus

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor