What did you do to your G-Body today? [2011-2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.

chophead

Greasemonkey
Apr 25, 2015
pa hill billy hell
Well today was..... well a day.
Took my 82 cutty for the new exhaust because the 3inch flowmasters stopped right before the rear end which made driving a bit mind rattling. They tried reusing the flow masters but they both had brokenbaffles in them so ok new ones are going on.
Since it was on the lift I noticed the skinny tire on the weld wheel was missin about 12inchs of rubber down to the steel cords!! And I got no spared!!
I also noticed coil boosters in the springs because its still has the 6cylinder springs...ooh and no SWAY BAR!! So I call umi and since they are based in pa and true usa made I ordered a 1.25 sway bar. Since I know my plans are building a pro touring car I figured at least I have the sway bar. So the guys at the exhaust shop hooked me up with a cross over and tail pipes that come out right behind the rear tire. And they even threw a set of crusty rally wheels so I could get home.
Since I had time till my physical therapy my son who stayed home because he was sick lol walked around the junk yard with me by because I knew I saw a ss monte carlo a week ago in the yard. Well it was still there and I am glad it had no sway bar because I might have been sick that I order one already. But the v8 coils are there!! And of course I found 5 other g bodys with v8 springs and sway bars.
I know I plan on a lower set of springs but to save money till I can do my brake swap and tube a arms and rear control arms I figured the 50 for the ss monte springs are worth it.
so right now I feel sick I spent money and even more sick cause I still have to spend more on an alignment and of course tires for my new 17x8s but I know then it will be semi safe to drive. And I still have to buy a new carb so my plans were a 750 street demon carb for her.
And even tho I complained I gotta say Todd on 322 just down from Annville did a good job on the exhaust but I noticed coming out of the junk yard the pipes were hiting something at the rear , must be the rear or control arms. He said he will take care of it so thqt cool.
Also while there I gotta say I have a clean g body guy, not a rust hole anywhere. Body bushings even looked good,vvery very happy about that!

L.A.X-RATED

Royal Smart Person
Aug 25, 2010
Took my 86 el camino to my mechanic on roll back Saturday... GP dash and harness from a V8 car is not compatible with my V6 ECM....we don't know what we don't know...in my research no one ever mentioned this incompatibility... since an engine swap was not part of the plan and the harness plugged in for 90% of the connections I never thought about the ECM being a problem....in fact I didn't realize it got information from the dash harness... my mechanic say's worst case we have to go to pre ECM carb and distributor...then I can eliminate the whole ECM mess (I like the sounds of that)....I think the only other thing it controls is the convertor lock up...the new dash and red interior looks awesome....I need some parts from a GP dash is anyone has one they are parting out!
what gp dash "parts" are you looking for?

Flyers9928

G-Body Guru
Jul 30, 2014
South Central Pa
What yard had that many G-bodys? and did you see a rear sway bar? thanks

chophead

Greasemonkey
Apr 25, 2015
pa hill billy hell
I cant do much bending right now cause of my injuries but I saw Malibu's with no ac heater boxes, v8 Malibu's and monte carlos plus el's. Its a yard in pine grove called Klingers. I can alway check on something if anybody needs anything! Plus they have other old metal all the way back to the teens! And of course newr stuff. The owner has his days but he will allow you to cruz the yard and his prices are very fair. You can pull it or he will. And I have spent all day there and not covered the whole place.

Flyers9928

G-Body Guru
Jul 30, 2014
South Central Pa
Does that place back up to the turn pike? I'm looking for a rear sway bar I have an 86 olds cutty

chophead

Greasemonkey
Apr 25, 2015
pa hill billy hell
Its about 45 mins on a good day north of Lebanon, Reading.
about 35 or so from Harrisburg. 50mins from Hazelton.
Plus I looked where he said the olds where but I swear I only saw a few on the wall. But then again its had to see everything and I must have missed them cause he said he had quite a few out there. And since I knew just where the other easy to get to g bodys are and the fact I knew where that ss monte was sitting I went straight there. I have to go there today to get my coils I can see if the monte has the rear sway bar if you like? If it does I will buy it because I am sure someone will want it.
But so ya know its a great place to go and spend a Saturday. Bring lunch and water plus a camera. I have lots of wall art from pics of once might race cars to rusty street warriors. My favorite is the pics I had blown up of the cars and trucks that show trees growing up threw the engine bay or threw the floor boards and out the windows of a old vw. My favorite is the tree lifting the truck up growing up threw the bed, classic!

Flyers9928

G-Body Guru
Jul 30, 2014
South Central Pa
Sound like a good trip to me! When I lived in Shippensburg me and my buddy used to go to a place in Newville that backed up to the turnpike. It was acres of cars, but they were not a you pull it. I begged the guy to let me walk around but he was supper worried about "liability" if I were to get hurt. You told him what you needed, he pulled it. Kinda sucked but they always had what we needed. Let me know on that rear sway bar, how much and if you get it grab the hardware.

Last edited:

chophead

Greasemonkey
Apr 25, 2015
pa hill billy hell
Well the monte ss coils were a bust, as in one was broke. And sorry the rear sway was gone. I looked at 3 v8 monte carlos and I just gave up. Ordered a pro lowering kit and a set of kyb gas a just shocks for front and rear. I hope there will be no more issues and since the rear is getting new springs I mite just get the umi control arms. Wish I could get the umi rear sway bar and front upper and lower tubular a arms but I think I will have to settle with the umi sway bar for the front,kyb shocks, pro lowering kit.
I did order the 750 street demon carb,a black summit aircleaner and throttle bracket kit.
So now I have to find help to get everything installed (hhelp in pa anyone?) Because I just had surgery and need another operation now on other shoulder and knee.
Once I have everything installed I can get a alignment and get my tires to go on my new 17x8's!
Hell whats 290 and 190 for a umi sway bar and rear .control arms after all this? Yes a bit more then I wanted to spend but I love this car so hell just do it. Aleast I can sell the weld wheels and holley 650bp after this and maybe get enough to buy more parts? Lol!
Also let me know if you come down from shipburg, takes me about 1hr cruzin to get to there or less

mymontess

Greasemonkey
Dec 23, 2014
North York, Ontario, Canada
Almost finished reassembly after the cam swap. Threw the air cleaner on to get an idea of what it will look like finished. Engine compartment looks nasty, trying to resist the urge to rip the car apart & tie it up for the long term. Gonna get it running & on the road, will clean it up as I go, maybe paint the core support & inner fenders over the winter. Gonna throw a before pic to show the difference.

IMG_1469.JPG IMG_0306.JPG IMG_1468.JPG IMG_1467.JPG

Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Changed the serpentine set up and need to get a new ps hp hose. Hopefully my steering knuckle will come in tomorrow so I can get my Delphi 600 box installed. Looking forward to see how that box works. Measured up the BMW seats and they look like they will fit nice. I bought 2 door BMW seats and have the sport seats that were from a 4 door. Going to use the frame of the 2 door seat and put the sport seats on them....

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor