What did you do to your G-Body today? [2011-2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely nothing. The car is in the driveway buried under 2 days worth of snow. I've got my garage converted into a powder coating shop, so no room for the car at the moment.

Bent a Spectre dipstick tube to the proper contour today, but during my initial test fit its super sloppy in the block. Has anyone had any luck RTV'ing one in place?
I'd weld a bracket to it and attach it to the nearest bolt. Never had good luck with rtving any dipstick.

I have one of these from an early 90s loaded Blazer. How do I test it to see if it works? I also got the pigtail so I can wire it in, but it never occurred to me to use it in a G-body...
there is 3 power wires and 2 grounds, hook them up accordingly and it will do a bulb test of the digital.

Took my motor apart to inspect the carnage. It's bad. Only way it could be worse is if #7 decided to exit stage left. Crank will need turned, rods resized with new bolts (assuming the old bolts stretched and are no longer good), bearings of course, and might as well balance it. $1500 wing wangs for that.

The amount of material removed during a crank turn and rod re-size sill not require a re-ballance or need to alter the balance. That change will be less than a few grams.

Reactions: Texas82GP
The amount of material removed during a crank turn and rod re-size sill not require a re-ballance or need to alter the balance. That change will be less than a few grams.
While true, I do have a non stock balancer up front. And the 350 Buick is externally balanced. TA Performance claims it's a stock replacement, bolt it on and go, I'll contact them and see if their balancer is weighted the same as stock.

I also figured out my engine's shimmy problem. Damn driver's mount ripped apart. I wonder if there are stronger mounts I can get. To be fair, I did get 3.8 mounts. Just because they fit don't mean they'll work is the lesson I learned today. I've always heard people having trouble with 350 Buick mounts tearing on the driver's side, but I've never been able to find ones that aren't the stock black rubber replacement ones. I compared the 350 mounts to the 3.8 mounts, the 350 did seem heftier, but it was more expensive at the time. I'll go with the 350 mounts next go around.

Wired the electric fans, started wiring the gauges.... changed the proportioning valve for the rear disc brakes and discovered my pinion seal on my fresh rebuilt 8.5 was leaking....... :wtf: So it looks like I will have to pull the yoke off and replace that seal, take 10 steps forward and 5 back haha

Painted the hubs of the GN axles - getting ready to swap the Torsen into the wagon's old 7.5. And now it's snowing...my kids were doing the Snow Day dance. Not likely.

I'd weld a bracket to it and attach it to the nearest bolt. Never had good luck with rtving any dipstick.
Still looking for a long roof parts car so started making the hood I want. I'm making an all steel Corvette Stinger hood. I bought a Vega hood for the center hump section, and a Goodmark,cowl induction scoop that I cut down and shaped like the Vetttes. All I found on the net was 1 fiberglass one for $500.00,No steel ones. Will post pics when done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor