What did you do to your G-Body today? [2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
On the weekend, I figured out what I wanted to do with the 15 degree angle the tansmision sits at for the mount since I chaged the bellhousing so the transmission sits straight, I cut a wedge out of an aluminum block to put inbetween the stransmision and the transmission mount to straighten it out. I had to move the mounting bracket on the Iceman crossmember so I cut it off and re welded that. I had to make a floor brace cause the one I had that was modified got tossed out by accident. I cut a new one out of 1/4" plate with the plasma cutter I just bought. I had to cut it so it curves around the u-joint on the driveshaft, The T5 is 3" longer than the 200 r4 and the stock brace interferes with the u-joint. I started to make the doubler for the firewall at the master brake and clutch out of 1/8 material. I was doing my measuring with a tape since I forgot to bring some tracing paper but I was have too much fun with the plasma cutter and cut off too much on one side. I have enough material to make another but I figured I should wait until I have the tracing paper...:)

Reactions: 4 users

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Reactions: 2 users

Stupidquestionspro

Master Mechanic
May 23, 2019
Tampa Bay Area
Awesome new development on the car had to pull over on the way to work today and unplug the wiper motor because they decided to run constantly on their own during the one time it wasn’t raining in Florida. Now I have to work on troubleshooting to figure out exactly what to fix and pray the parts won’t break the bank. Kinda need wipers for summer in Florida not exactly cool with the shoelace or rainx drive fast solutions.

Also I’m fairly certain I’m going to have the pleasure of having to replace the switch inside my column considering this is a tilt column, delay, with cruise and I can’t remember if it was originally column shift or not plus I’m having steering looseness issues what else should I do while I’m in there or what other parts should I replace to save myself the frustration and double work later?

Thanks for the help.

Also posted in my build thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

383_StealthRam

Greasemonkey
Dec 29, 2016
Awesome new development on the car had to pull over on the way to work today and unplug the wiper motor because they decided to run constantly on their own during the one time it wasn’t raining in Florida. Now I have to work on troubleshooting to figure out exactly what to fix and pray the parts won’t break the bank. Kinda need wipers for summer in Florida not exactly cool with the shoelace or rainx drive fast solutions.

Also I’m fairly certain I’m going to have the pleasure of having to replace the switch inside my column considering this is a tilt column, delay, with cruise and I can’t remember if it was originally column shift or not plus I’m having steering looseness issues what else should I do while I’m in there or what other parts should I replace to save myself the frustration and double work later?

Thanks for the help.

Also posted in my build thread.

Before you rip your steering column apart to do the wiper switch, it may be worth a look at the wiper motor parking pawl (under the plastic dust cover) as sometimes those can get a little bent, or the switch itself that extends the arm to grab the pawl and "park" the wipers might be bad. If that pawl doesn't catch the arm/lever and get pulled over the wiper motor will keep running even though you turned the switch in the car off.

YMMV, but thought I'd mention it as something else to check....service manual should have pretty simple diagnostic tree to check for proper troubleshooting of wiper/park, and switch circuits.

HTH

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users

Stupidquestionspro

Master Mechanic
May 23, 2019
Tampa Bay Area
Thanks unfortunately I wasn’t using the wipers at all. I was just driving and hadn’t used the wipers all day. It just suddenly started running and no matter what I did it wouldn’t shut off though it would change speeds so I had to unplug the motor.

That’s why I’m thinking column switch because based on my research the stalk on the column really cannot do that it just communicates to the switch but the switch is where the problem typically lies.

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
Cut and flipped valve covers around. 3/8” of A/C box clearance and mucho rocker to valve cover clearance. I WILL HAVE A/C WITH THIS SWAP!
D8981CD4-A31E-429A-9C98-E830A1F16EB2.jpeg

• Winner
Reactions: 10 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Not too much, the motor blew. I checked it and it was really hot so I let it cool down while I checked a few things but it would not start again. I wasn't seized but I'm pretty sure it's fried. So now I'm looking for a motor to replace it and I think I found one so I'll have the compressor up and running again tomorrow so I can do what I needed to get done today....:)

• Sad
  • Wow
  • Dislike
Reactions: 3 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Not too much, the motor blew. I checked it and it was really hot so I let it cool down while I checked a few things but it would not start again. I wasn't seized but I'm pretty sure it's fried. So now I'm looking for a motor to replace it and I think I found one so I'll have the compressor up and running again tomorrow.....:)
Make sure you make a thread that hits 200 pages on replacing it. :LOL:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor