What Did You Do To Your G-Body Today? [2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I just started the GP, alternator now is charging 14.46 with no load except for fuel pump and DRL, when I shut her down the battery was sitting at 12.76......

reading about the CS144 there are complaints that without load they are great but they have a hard time keeping up especially when in traffic and sitting at idle alot..... :unsure:

Reactions: 2 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I just started the GP, alternator now is charging 14.46 with no load except for fuel pump and DRL, when I shut her down the battery was sitting at 12.76......

reading about the CS144 there are complaints that without load they are great but they have a hard time keeping up especially when in traffic and sitting at idle alot..... :unsure:
I've never heard that one, but anything is possible.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
Out with the old:
IMG_20200729_235309.jpg

And in with the new:
IMG_20200730_143507.jpg

I got it started and it runs fairly well, although it is a little lean at idle. I'm not sure if I got all the vacuum hookups correct, as this thing has more vacuum ports than I have friends and there isn't a good port diagram anywhere for this thing.

I also installed a more DOT friendly set of headlights for the somewhat focused low beams. The high beams (right) will be replaced with another set of these if they prove out good. IMG_20200730_003947.jpg

Reactions: 4 users

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
I also installed a more DOT friendly set of headlights for the somewhat focused low beams. The high beams (right) will be replaced with another set of these if they prove out good. View attachment 153279
I think I’ve seen a video review on those lights (not a shill vid either), the low beams were pretty decent in terms of the cutoff and how far they throw light.
The high beams were like having a lighthouse strapped to the front of your car....

Reactions: 5 users

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
I think I’ve seen a video review on those lights (not a shill vid either), the low beams were pretty decent in terms of the cutoff and how far they throw light.
The high beams were like having a lighthouse strapped to the front of your car....
They look good when pointed at the garage door, I haven't got a road test done yet, but they have to be a step up from the other set. One of the worst things about the other set is that they are electrically noisy as hell. It takes a LOT of EMF to completely blank out an FM radio, but 4 of those pulled it off. Having to use the CD player to have tunes on the drive home was getting real old.

• Wow

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I load tested the Red Top and it passed but it was real close to the line for weak, After the car sitting for a hour or so starting it checking the alternator with a multi gauge the alternator give out 14.1 volts and it drops to 38 when warm. The alternator is on the driver's side and the ford style solenoid is on the passenger wheel well. I have an 8 gauge wire from the alternator and the volts drop 2 at the solenoid. I have a 2 gauge wire from the solenoid to the battery in the trunk (truck for Jack). There is no voltage drop from the solenoid to the battery. I have the wire for the Fast ecu connected at the solenoid along with the battery wire but the handheld screen for the Fast is reading 1/2 volt less. With both fans on and a few other things the alternator puts out 13.6-7 volts so that is good

I know that the battery passed the load test but on the Fast screen the voltage sometimes drops below 10 volts when starting the car. The starter is a CVR mini and it's not dragging. I'm not happy about the 2 volt drop from the alternator to the solenoid so I'll be getting a better quality 8 gauge wire and I'll be cleaning the gronds to see if that is causing the voltage drop.

I redid the timing and put a few more dregrees in it cause I keep reading Fast likes timing. The GP did die on me a couple of times when the fan kicked in when at idle so I did a few adjustments to the Fast system that I read about and that seems to have cured that issue. .... :popcorn:

Reactions: 4 users

Rus

Master Mechanic
Oct 7, 2016
Queensbury, NY
I got my custom tach back for my 79 Buick Century Sport coupe. Matches my custom 170 mph Speedo.
65567493-68BB-4402-AF82-638CF938ABB4.jpeg

• Winner
Reactions: 15 users

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
Good news: Quadrajet is up and running and after I got the distributor on the right port, she pulls pretty good. There may be some geometry issues hooking up the cruise control pull cable, and the kickdown cable is right at the limit of its adjustment range but I think it is in a good place.

Bad News: On the test drive, the transmission did not want to shift out of 1st gear unless shifted manually, and 3rd gear would only shift in about half the time. No slip, no rough shift, no rough downshift, just won't upshift on it's own.

Somewhat optimistic news: When I got back home, I found that the trans was low on fluid. Not super low, but it is low. I don't have any fluid here but I will pick some up in the morning. I hope the TH 200 lives to see another day, but I wouldn't be surprised if it has reached the end of it's lifespan.

• Sad
Reactions: 5 users

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
They look good when pointed at the garage door, I haven't got a road test done yet, but they have to be a step up from the other set. One of the worst things about the other set is that they are electrically noisy as hell. It takes a LOT of EMF to completely blank out an FM radio, but 4 of those pulled it off. Having to use the CD player to have tunes on the drive home was getting real old.
Yeesh that’s pretty bad. I was planning on getting a set for high beams but if there’s that much electrical interference, it’s a deal breaker.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor