What Did You Do To Your G-Body Today? [2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Put some new tires on the front of the coupe, and discovered that the reman 605 steering box from the donor car has 1/4 turn slack in it. Not sure how I missed that before.

I have a couple 800 series boxes, one from the 84 MCSS that looks suspicious, and a reman Cardone. Total crapshoot either way. Had planned on using one (both?) of them on the wagon,

Some days, it's a beat-your-head-against-the-wall sort of feeling.

Reactions: 5 users

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
Got tired of the rear view mirror falling off every time it got hot, and took the mirror button to work so I could sandblast it.
IMG_20201017_020939.jpg
IMG_20201017_021110.jpg

The glue should stick a little better now...

• Agree
Reactions: 11 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Brought the Cutlass up to a big show by the house. Should be 500+ cars easy! Fun fact,last time I attended this show it was 2011, two months later my car was being stripped down!
20201017_090659.jpg

• Wow
  • Winner
Reactions: 15 users

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
Hopped in to run down for coffee, battery was nearly dead. I had one incident on Wednesday that had me thinking that I was still having hot start issues. So, when I returned from coffee with the other car, I got the old battery acid tester out. When I popped the caps off, every cell was nearly dry, so I added water and put the charger on it. When I finish enjoying my coffee, I will pack some tools for a junkyard run to look for some more AC conversion parts.

Reactions: 7 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I had the same problem and used a "good" glue, next time the mirror fell off it took part of the windshield with it.... :popcorn:
Steve,
What glue do you recommend? I've been using Loctite and if I'm lucky the mirror stays on for a few months. One of my cars, I actually scuffed a spot on the glass itself with some light sandpaper. I think the heat has a lot more to do with it than the glue itself.

Reactions: 3 users

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Steve,
What glue do you recommend? I've been using Loctite and if I'm lucky the mirror stays on for a few months. One of my cars, I actually scuffed a spot on the glass itself with some light sandpaper. I think the heat has a lot more to do with it than the glue itself.

Jack,
I had issues trying to get the strobe light bar to stick to the windshield in my daughters Jeep. I stopped by the local body shop and the owner told me to buy a 3M primer pad. Its a little package with a sponge brush inside thats coated with an adhesion promoter for glass. Never heard of it until he told me about it. Its only a few bucks. I saw them on Amazon but I was able to get one at the local body shop supplier. It worked 100000%. The bars been up for months. The double back tape really sticks to this.

1602949731710.png

• Informative
Reactions: 6 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Steve,

I'd like to know what the windshield guys use, I got a windshield put in a few years ago and whatever they used it is still holding. I like the suggestion mikester posted

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
I had the same problem and used a "good" glue, next time the mirror fell off it took part of the windshield with it.... :popcorn:
Actual rear view mirror adhesive was lucky to last me a week. I had the best luck with Loctite 401 super glue.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Jack,
I had issues trying to get the strobe light bar to stick to the windshield in my daughters Jeep. I stopped by the local body shop and the owner told me to buy a 3M primer pad. Its a little package with a sponge brush inside thats coated with an adhesion promoter for glass. Never heard of it until he told me about it. Its only a few bucks. I saw them on Amazon but I was able to get one at the local body shop supplier. It worked 100000%. The bars been up for months. The double back tape really sticks to this.

View attachment 159751
Jack,

View attachment 159751
Mich,
Thank you for the useful information. I always knew that there was a better solution out there. After all, the glass shops have got to be using a good heavy duty product. I suppose with using the 3M adhesion promotor you can use any product with it. Loctite, 3M, Permatex, etc.
That might make the difference in the long run. I'm getting sick and tired of going out to the car and finding the mirror hanging, or on the floor.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor