What Did You Do To Your G-Body Today? [2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
LOL, ROTG and LMFAO!!!! For that act of mechanical indifference you will probably be lucky if it doesn't cost you the skin off at least two knuckles plus one slashed finger tip. It's a well known urban myth that toys hate to be ignored and/or have desired repairs or upgrades stalled/stopped in mid-work. They can and will have their revenge, usually by having a perfectly correct and new part fail to fit or work right once installed, or fighting the install every inch of the way, and turning a 10 minute "easy" repair into a 10 hour battle that includes having the dog hiding under the porch, the cat nowhere to be seen, and the wife on her way to her mothers for a weekend "visit".

Nick

That sounds like a run of the mill repair, not a toy repair.

• Agree
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users

bmxer_coon

Apprentice
Jan 29, 2011
Eastpointe, MI, 48021
Mocked up and tacked in some intermediate pipes last night to join the manifolds to the complete system i picked up second hand a little while back. Also made new brake lines from the master back.

Attachments

• 20210827_201639.jpg
    20210827_201639.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 85
  • 20210827_201506.jpg
    20210827_201506.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 88
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
They are all Toys in one form or another. Some are for work, and some are for play, and some might be for a rainy day. (Hee, Hee, Hee) Your run of the mill commuter vehicle is still a toy, just one that you play with more roughly than the others you own and that you tend to ignore or take only the minimum care of until it bites you on the A** and you have to throw some time and money/parts at it to resolve the problem.

Nick

• Agree
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users

bruisedbanana79

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2021
Aligned guideplates and lashed all the valves. Intake will go on tonight and will be ready to drop in possibly tomorrow afternoon. 8EDE50F4-A7C0-4AF3-B659-1D2D4B248D94.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: 9 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Ignored both of them to get some A/C seat time and road trip miles with the wife in.

Maybe when it cools off a little.....

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Taped off all the bits that I did not want to paint to protect them from overspray. Applied the third/last coat of Rust Mort after I brushed down some of the lumps that the stuff seems to create when it runs into pockets of rust and attacks them. Wound my 4.5 up and smoothed out some of the casting ridges next to the upper ears. Nothing like being in the middle of wrestling the elephant only to find that you have sliced your finger tips open on a sharp edge or casting seam.

Nick

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
I FORCED the third time in to being the charm. My third new power steering pump was clocked wrong, so I grabbed my first bad one (the one where I tried to bend the return tube, but deformed the back of the reservoir instead), and using a rubber mallet, I removed the reservoir portion from the pump portion. Since that came apart easier than I expected, I did the same with my old pump and swapped the old reservoir onto the new pump. Worked out fine, reinstalled into bracket and mounted on the engine. Next, I installed the brand new steering gear box, put the belt on, and checked for leaks. No leaks, good. So after that, I proceeded to begin installing the AC compressor, and condenser.
20210828_105630.jpg

20210828_173757.jpg

After reaching the point of the second pic above, I installed the condenser in front of the radiator, put the shroud and the fan blades on, and installed the alternator belt. I had to remove my cheap little air horns to mount the condenser, so tomorrow I will relocate them, then double check the fluid level in the pump (air and foam from initial fill and checking for leaks). After that, I will be ready to make an appointment with the AC shop to have the evaporator flushed out good before charging with freon (they will also be able to tell me if I have all of the correct switches, solenoids and what-have-you). While I am relocating the air horns, if I remember to, I will install the front air dam that I picked up at the wrecking yard several months ago. I also need to find a better place for the oil cooler. I had cut the plastic ties when I removed it from the front of the radiator the last time I attempted to install the power steering pump. It is currently zip tied to the back side of the grill, and I don't want the weight and vibration to crack the grill plastic.

Reactions: 4 users

John Wm. Zick

Drag Racer Forever !!!
Supporting Member
Jun 10, 2021
Winter Haven, Florida
Taped off all the bits that I did not want to paint to protect them from overspray. Applied the third/last coat of Rust Mort after I brushed down some of the lumps that the stuff seems to create when it runs into pockets of rust and attacks them. Wound my 4.5 up and smoothed out some of the casting ridges next to the upper ears. Nothing like being in the middle of wrestling the elephant only to find that you have sliced your finger tips open on a sharp edge or casting seam.

Nick
Keep on keepin' on Nick. It'll payoff in the end!! JZ

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Watched the rain fall, shot the first coat of the Rust Check, discovered that the dipstick tube on my 5.3 was completely adamant about remaining in its tight little hole, and ended up having to clip the mounting bracket off it so that I could finish removing the passenger exhaust manifold because my eyes were not deceiving me, it had cracked completely around the runner tube. Not broken off, just an ugly fine split that kept on going until it came back to itself. Part of me says to introduce it to my MIG and see what transpires. Another part says what will transpire is "SNAP!!!" as the damaged section parts company with the balance of the casting. STill another says to bring it with when I make my next visit to the yard and see what the Ouch will be for a another. And the last part is thinking "Hedders" which part is question is now taking a mential beating from all the others because I have no budget for fancy-schmancy tubing that would commit suicide after a winter or two of local driving.

Nick

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user

DSPbuilt

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2016
Cape Coral, FL
Today was a good one!
Finally finished the carpet although I’m super happy with how it came out. I think it’s just the shifter and how I cut around it.
I paint the old sill plates. I couldn’t find my nice ones but these came out decent.
Put the seats in buttoned most of it up. Then took the kids for a rip around the neighborhood, and did some groceries.
Hot start problem seems to be gone as well!
70CC1483-BFD7-4980-95DD-769B9398E509.jpeg
4A291ABB-0349-4733-B2C0-C3006AF6C439.jpeg
A1241CB5-1598-4E32-8134-6B2D565573CE.jpeg
5A5FDDB1-8DC7-4571-B7EC-70DADD5A734A.jpeg
7F64C71D-95EC-4679-BC4C-2A58B349A12C.jpeg
5777D395-141B-4D06-93F1-BB2E73D28C2F.jpeg
BD568BF8-CC8A-4937-8BA9-E9712D88EFBC.jpeg

• Agree
Reactions: 9 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor