What Did You Do To Your G-Body Today? [2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.

MalibuDavyou5

Master Mechanic
Mar 2, 2020
Wyoming
Ummm. . . Can't really do much today, other than shovel my way out. :LOL: Have a Winter storm going on until about noon today. 20210310_081826[1].jpg

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Ummm. . . Can't really do much today, other than shovel my way out. :LOL: Have a Winter storm going on until about noon today. View attachment 170140
I remember a trip a few years back now. We were visiting at my brother in laws place, stayed a few days around Christmas.

Whelp, it snowed probably 8-10 inches or so in the afternoon/evenjng. Ended up shoveling the driveway that night when people were in bed, half because I somehow missed doing it, half to help out at waking up.

It's nice outside in the snow during the quiet middle of the night.

Best part is it flurried/blew about 1/2" over the cleared part overnight, and I left about 1/4-1/2" shoveling so you didn't hear the scraping. so I got to watch him go through the ritual of getting dressed for the snow work, drinking coffee grumbling about having to go out on his day off and do it, normal routine. Then from the bay window got to watch his face and confusion when he opened the garage door and there was only 1/2" and nothing to remove :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Jakefromstatefarm

Master Mechanic
Feb 26, 2014
Repairing what the wind destroyed yesterday...

Had the garage door open and the walk through door to the back open, wind was blowing it's normal 20-30mph but a massive gust blew through, picked up the mint dash I had siting on a shelf just waiting on me to install the new interior, and threw it across the garage into the floor, 3 busted corners and 5 cracks later... She ain't so mint anymore.. fack! Been working on repairs all morning, got 1 corner left.. and the worst crack of them all, right in the side of the center stack... I don't really care for windy days much, but now I have a new reason... Thinking I may need to get around to the interior swap sooner than planned just to avoid random thing like this from happening again.

• Wow
  • Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 6 users

Jakefromstatefarm

Master Mechanic
Feb 26, 2014
I should have taken before and after photos, but it's repaired now... Still frustrated.. dash made it 40 years with no cracks and a random situation ruined it's mint-y-ness...

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user

80/MALIBU/COUPE

Greasemonkey
Feb 17, 2021
TUCSON AZ
1615494226853.png
1615494257190.png

pulled the carpet .. rear floor pan had the super old battery powder and pennies smell/ taste in the air like a battery was sitting in the back for a few years
the carpet was the og carpet but with a thinner carpet laid / glued on top of it .. big acid eaten whole in that aswell ..

Reactions: 5 users

Jakefromstatefarm

Master Mechanic
Feb 26, 2014
Hits keep on coming, new discovery for today. I was going to attempt to put bucket seats from a different car into my G-Body, only to discover the mounting points don't line up, okay, no biggie (planned on that).

What I didn't plan on was the footprint of these seats being 2" wider than the available floor space between the sill and the tunnel.. I could make brackets and still get them installed but at which point, the seats sit 3" higher than the previous seats... Not gonna work...

Plan A,B... T, U, I think I'm on V now...

Now remembering why I parked this thing years ago... Frustration at every junction...

This frustration could have been alleviated had I measured better before purchasing... Expensive lesson and something I'll never do again..

383_GrandPrix

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2016
Quebec, Canada
Hits keep on coming, new discovery for today. I was going to attempt to put bucket seats from a different car into my G-Body, only to discover the mounting points don't line up, okay, no biggie (planned on that).

What I didn't plan on was the footprint of these seats being 2" wider than the available floor space between the sill and the tunnel.. I could make brackets and still get them installed but at which point, the seats sit 3" higher than the previous seats... Not gonna work...

Plan A,B... T, U, I think I'm on V now...

Now remembering why I parked this thing years ago... Frustration at every junction...

This frustration could have been alleviated had I measured better before purchasing... Expensive lesson and something I'll never do again..
What did the seats come out of? I've seen somewhere on the forum that someone put late model GTO seats in their G body and from what I understand are a good bit bigger but they were still able to fit.

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
What did the seats come out of? I've seen somewhere on the forum that someone put late model GTO seats in their G body and from what I understand are a good bit bigger but they were still able to fit.
Yeah I have a buddy who put a blue set of the GTO seats in his Malibu

Reactions: 1 users

Tim & sleek

Apprentice
Apr 24, 2018
Fort Wayne, In
So I m upgrading my 7 5/8 rear end ( I know some will say Y ) I'm stay with the drum brakes but put new lines on a posi 342 gears all for about 400hp. My question is in the center back brake hose, the bolt that is holding it down the line to the diff I can not find replacement it is a shoulder bolt what have some of you used

Attachments

• 20210312_110336.jpg
    20210312_110336.jpg
    394.7 KB · Views: 83
Reactions: 1 user

Jakefromstatefarm

Master Mechanic
Feb 26, 2014
2010 volkswagen golf gti. I chose these because all adjustments are manual (forward, back, recline, up, down, and lumbar) and because the seat belt holder on the shoulder is the hidden release to hinge the seat back forward and unlock the track and let the seat slide as far forward as it can until it hits the steering wheel/dash/ or end of the track...

The side to side distance of the original seats brackets center mounting hole to center mounting hole were 14.5".. these tracks are 18.5" center to center ... The problem is then that the outside of the tracks is too wide to fit between the tunnel and the sill. I could raise the seat up to combat some of that, but once I raise it high enough to fit, it's nearly too high (about 2" higher than original buckets). Even with the seats adjusted as low as they will go.

About to throw this thing into the corner of the garage again for several months when I'm done being frustrated by it ... And resealing the motor without pulling pan is fun... If it still leaks... Back to the corner it shall go.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor