What Did You Do To Your G-Body Today? [2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Putting my spoiler on and going to sand and buff it. Had to tweak the new pedestal mounts holes were in a different spot they came from the Parts Place...don't want to mess around sending them back. Will post some pics of the finished product.

Attachments

• 20210518_162446.jpg
    20210518_162446.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 106
Pulled off some of the bondo the PO put on it. There was some rust coming through it. Going to pick up some rust converter. I really wanna try to have my rustoleum paint job done soon. I’m tied of looking at it the way it is.

View attachment 175680
View attachment 175681
Looks good so far...is it a hard top or vinyl? Throw some tiger hair in the seam before you finish it out with body filler it is moisture resistant. I've used the plastic lead they make for the seam but wasn't impressed. When I got into bodywork 35 years ago the bodymen used to put in real lead. The next time I do it I will use 3M panel bond. I used it to glue the loose wings on my 84' Hurst trunk spoiler...it was put together with body filler before the previous paint job from 22 years ago...lol.

Looks good so far...is it a hard top or vinyl? Throw some tiger hair in the seam before you finish it out with body filler it is moisture resistant. I've used the plastic lead they make for the seam but wasn't impressed. When I got into bodywork 35 years ago the bodymen used to put in real lead. The next time I do it I will use 3M panel bond. I used it to glue the loose wings on my 84' Hurst trunk spoiler...it was put together with body filler before the previous paint job from 22 years ago...lol.
It was a vinyl. I’m probably going to weld a plate like motorheadmike did. Haven’t decided yet. I’ll look into the tiger hair as well.

Tried to (unsuccessfully) clean the BFG brown letter tires again 🙄. Looks like some burn out videos are now in order. I need a reason to buy a new set that actually has crispy white letters.

1621446949575.jpeg

Last edited:
Tried to (unsuccessfully) clean the BFG brown letter tires again 🙄. Looks like some burn out videos are now in order. I need a reason to buy a new set that actually has crispy white letters.

View attachment 175782
Try sanding them (no joke). I read that's the only thing that will work. I read that the white is actually pretty deep. I read about someone rubbing the letters with a rock and getting results but I think I'd try some 320 and decide if I needed to get more aggressive. If you do this, please post back with the results.

Try sanding them (no joke). I read that's the only thing that will work. I read that the white is actually pretty deep. I read about someone rubbing the letters with a rock and getting results but I think I'd try some 320 and decide if I needed to get more aggressive. If you do this, please post back with the results.
Thanks for the reply. I have tried sanding them to no avail. The problem is the white material itself has yellowed.

View attachment 175782
What did you use to try to clean it?

What did you use to try to clean it?
Sandpaper, goo gone, comet, Ajax, bleach white, etc. etc. The issue is that The supplier was/ is using a different process and materials for 15” series tires. It is a known issue and no amount of cleaning will make them white.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor