What Did You Do To Your G-Body Today? [2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wiper motor was shorting out in wet weather for a while. Last month I discovered the plastic cover was cracked and a PO had replaced the machine screws with an assortment of sheet metal screws. Removed and cleaned it up, glued the cap, sealed it up with rtv and proper screws and put it back in with a new mounting kit from gbody parts. Its a small job but a pita knuckle scraper none the less. Did it work? We will see when it rains...

just been drivin it
really think ive perfected the cooling setup.
champion rad
4th gen camaro fans wired full nuts all the time
flowkooler water pump with billet aluminum impeller
stays around 175-185, even in the 100 degree 100% humidity iowa heat.

Drove it to work, started missing when I turned off the highway onto access road to work. Narrowed down to #8 plug/wire(?) after work. Sent it home and turned over 90k on the way. Almost missed it.
IMG_0817.jpg

Any upgrades to the alternator? Im leaning towards doing this but want to make sure my CS alternator can handle it, mostly on startup.
alternator definitely needs addressed, but it was a shitty reman before the fans, but after a year or so it hasnt put up much protest. its grumbly tho.

I will mention, the only times the car gets above 200*f is when I'm on the highway for around an hour or two at 70mph, which is about 3k rpm. Not much I can do about that unless I go overboard with cooling, but overdrive is in my near future and that will certainly help. It's quite literally the RPM making it get "warm", not even hot. It will hang out at 200-210 but as soon as I back off the speed to 55/60 it will come back down.

I will mention, the only times the car gets above 200*f is when I'm on the highway for around an hour or two at 70mph, which is about 3k rpm. Not much I can do about that unless I go overboard with cooling, but overdrive is in my near future and that will certainly help. It's quite literally the RPM making it get "warm", not even hot. It will hang out at 200-210 but as soon as I back off the speed to 55/60 it will come back down.
My thoughts (not known to be fact, but a plausible theory) are that the slower the water travels through the radiator, the more cooling before re-entering the engine block. Of course, you want a lot of water passing through the engine. So, it seems that an extra (or larger sized) core(s) would allow the water more time to dissipate the heat.
This is also assuming that there are no blockages, and you have a good pump, which sounds like you do.
I know that modern thinking wants temps close to 200*, but when I see that, it begins to raise the anxiety levels into an uncomfortable region.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor