What Did You Do To Your G-Body Today? [2022]

Status
Not open for further replies.

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
it's a small thing but it's heading in the rite direction though.awesome.

Reactions: 2 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Not sure China is the culprit in this case although if their manufacturing plant is in Shanghai, all bets are off. If the parts even show up I may have to boil them in alcohol to sterilize them. 'Tween Covid and Bird Flu, no wonder the Vegans are winning. Ref: Joke of the day, ,maybe the time is ripe for a truly stinker of a B Horror Movie, "Attack of the Paranoid Porkers" or something stranger.

Reactions: 1 user

Tucker H.

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 19, 2020
Well preparing for my wedding this weekend, I went ahead yesterday and changed the oil and filters on my Bonneville, greased all the suspension I could, and today its cleaning and washing out.

Gotta run to Kentucky today too, so I'm gonna map my fuel economy again, factory 3.8 v6 with the th200c(weak reverse gear) and 2.41 gears, 2 weeks ago I took the Bonneville to nashvile and round trip I averaged 17 mpg. So after a simple tune up I'm curious if it will squeak out a little more.
Wish me luck!

Attachments

• 20220503_165250.jpg
    20220503_165250.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 70
  • 20220503_165430.jpg
    20220503_165430.jpg
    1,003.2 KB · Views: 65
Reactions: 3 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Not sure China is the culprit in this case although if their manufacturing plant is in Shanghai, all bets are off. If the parts even show up I may have to boil them in alcohol to sterilize them. 'Tween Covid and Bird Flu, no wonder the Vegans are winning. Ref: Joke of the day, ,maybe the time is ripe for a truly stinker of a B Horror Movie, "Attack of the Paranoid Porkers" or something stranger.
China bad.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Dad installed a random sub and amp in the car. Sounds ok. Needs a box actually fitted to the car/sub.
Spent 2 hours trying to figure out why the mf blower motor wouldn't work to discover a wire pulled out of a butt connection.

Reactions: 2 users

gbodytoys

G-Body Guru
May 1, 2014
Detroit, MI
I drove my car to the Chevy body shop a few blocks up the street to see if they could find a paint (or mix one) for my bumper fillers. The Lead paint guy was super patient and helpful. Seems like it was House of Kolour with a gold undertone. If I can get it, they'll spray them for $100 total. That aside, I had a piece of masking tape that was stuck on the car for 10+ years that I couldn't get off. I asked the guy if they sold something and he told me to pull in the back. He took some paint thinner and took about 10 minutes of his time slowly getting the residue off, then he passed the job off to his employee who spent another 10 minutes, then buffed the entire decklid. All of this....FOR FREE. I passed the employee $20 though because of the great job that he did.

I don't seem to meet a lot of people/shops in the car journey that are just good folks and I was VERY appreciative to those guys. I would list the name of the shop, but I don't want them to possibly get in trouble for doing stuff for free on the clock.

71543ec71589d42030fdd5603634cbec91517ee8-1.jpg

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: 14 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I drove my car to the Chevy body shop a few blocks up the street to see if they could find a paint (or mix one) for my bumper fillers. The Lead paint guy was super patient and helpful. Seems like it was House of Kolour with a gold undertone. If I can get it, they'll spray them for $100 total. That aside, I had a piece of masking tape that was stuck on the car for 10+ years that I couldn't get off. I asked the guy if they sold something and he told me to pull in the back. He took some paint thinner and took about 10 minutes of his time slowly getting the residue off, then he passed the job off to his employee who spent another 10 minutes, then buffed the entire decklid. All of this....FOR FREE. I passed the employee $20 though because of the great job that he did.

I don't seem to meet a lot of people/shops in the car journey that are just good folks and I was VERY appreciate to those guys. I would list the name of the shop, but I don't want them to possibly get in trouble for doing stuff for free on the clock.

View attachment 197906
I love hearing stories like this one. Thanks for posting it. Your car looks beautiful, by the way.

Reactions: 5 users

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas
Out with the OLD, and in with the NEW.... Holley(0-80783C) 650cfm vacsec 4150 style, i ordered it yesturday morning from a local O-reily store and recieved it this afternoon, this is more on par with what my ZZ4 will actually like IMO, the 770SA will be cleaned up, put away and used as a spare/backup once i finally install the new unit.

Im done messing with my 770cfm street avenger emissions carb, all street avengers are, produced lean buggers they are with their insatiable hesitation and leaner air bleeds, the only fix is to mess with the metering block orifices and air bleeds, and its not a jet or accelerator pump/cam issue. Apparently, my 650cfm "classic" is a revised version compared to the one shown from holley's website, figure whats currently shown is how i pictured the classic style would be and what i was expecting to receive, but i got an upgraded one it seems.

Holley - https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/carburetors/street/parts/0-80783C

Nice editions to the carburator though... actual sight glass on both front and rear fuel bowls instead of plugs, an electric choke instead of the manual type and a rear metering block for changing jets instead of a metering plate. I dont understand the newer style choke flap, theres a small rectangular opening facing the rear of the choke horn, it doesnt completely close off the air like the original holleys and on my avenger carburator. I did notice a small booboo from holley, there was a lower front fuel bowl screw, just one, that wasnt tightned down all the way, sticking out about a 1/8 of an inch, thought maybe it was one of those slightly longer screws that was put in by mistake, typically used with billet metering blocks that are slightly wider. It was the correct 2 1/2" length, so after unscrewing the bolt out completely to measure, i retightened it back in slowly all the way, the threads into the main body seem super snug, like the feeling of binding, but luckily that wasnt the case.

I decided to go with this "classic" style carburator because i wanted to keep the classic theme with an old school car, like my '79 mailbu, but i wont be using it right away unfortunately. I have to reconfigure the PVC valve connection, my 770SA has that connection under the front fuel bowl along side a 1/4" full time vac port, the 650cfm unit has only one 1/4'' full time vac port under the front fuel bowl, so i'll need a different rear vacuum port over my currewnt one that screws into the back side of the intake that sits just behind the carburator so everyting will be proper once again, i've read its best that the power brakes and the PCV valve have their own seperate vacuum source connections and not to "T" them on the same line.

So w/o futher adue...

Attachments

• 650cfm 1.JPG
    650cfm 1.JPG
    144.8 KB · Views: 72
  • 650cfm 2.JPG
    650cfm 2.JPG
    171.9 KB · Views: 64
  • 650cfm 3.JPG
    650cfm 3.JPG
    140.4 KB · Views: 63
  • 650cfm 4.JPG
    650cfm 4.JPG
    223.8 KB · Views: 65
  • 650cfm 5.JPG
    650cfm 5.JPG
    163.6 KB · Views: 62
  • 650cfm 6.JPG
    650cfm 6.JPG
    172.3 KB · Views: 66
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Turns out it wasn't China, it was OPG. They paused the shipment because apparently they only accept Paypal for domestic shipments. Anything outside the national limits and they require a credit card. Me, asking them "Why no Paypal for shipments up here to the land of the Frozen Chosen apparently confused them but there is no "Why not" for their discrimination on the website. Meanwhile I had already carded the order to cut the dance card short and that got lost in the translation. So when I did ship them my "WTF inquiry, that kind of kicked things along and the box is on its way. Meh.

Nick

Reactions: 1 user

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas
Donald Trump aside, but either way...

• Haha
  • Agree
Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor