What Did You Do To Your G-Body Today? [2022]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas
Just upgraded my new holley "classic" 650cfm vacsec 4150... i had all the parts already on hand for another project, not the 770SA carburator.

The throttle body/metering blocks and bowls are made from aluminum, the entire carb feels really light, the 770SA weighs a ton for having cast parts, figure i wasnt going to use the new carb for a spell due not being able to have a vac fitting available for the PCV valve. Fortunately, the 650C uses the very same throttle plate the 770SA uses, everything is exactly the same, the layout, the gasket, the ports, the same green pump cam, return springs, and even the same size throttle blades(#172), its just the diameter of the venturies in the main body that dictates the CFM between these two, there shouldnt be any issue, so i swapped the bases.

In addition to switching throttle plates, replaced the metal rear bowl float with a nitrophyl notched float, added rear jet extensions, converted the vacuum secondary pod to a quick change spring kit, i'll be keeping the as installed 6.5hg power valve, the 67(front), the 73(rear) jets and the silver(plain) vacsec spring as a baseline to see how the ZZ4 likes it, then i'll tune from there, also notice how the vacsec lower housing uses a small hole instead of a check ball to meter the vacuum and the metering blocks also came with vent whistles.

Attachments

• carb upgrade 1.JPG
    carb upgrade 1.JPG
    254.8 KB · Views: 42
  • carb upgrade 10.JPG
    carb upgrade 10.JPG
    236.8 KB · Views: 46
  • carb upgrade 9.JPG
    carb upgrade 9.JPG
    192.8 KB · Views: 44
  • carb upgrade 8.JPG
    carb upgrade 8.JPG
    234 KB · Views: 50
  • carb upgrade 7.JPG
    carb upgrade 7.JPG
    182.7 KB · Views: 43
  • carb upgrade 6.JPG
    carb upgrade 6.JPG
    194.8 KB · Views: 44
  • carb upgrade 5.JPG
    carb upgrade 5.JPG
    217.7 KB · Views: 40
  • carb upgrade 4.JPG
    carb upgrade 4.JPG
    223.7 KB · Views: 46
  • carb upgrade 3.JPG
    carb upgrade 3.JPG
    204.2 KB · Views: 46
  • carb upgrade 2.JPG
    carb upgrade 2.JPG
    231 KB · Views: 45
Reactions: 6 users

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
Washed it and cleaned it up. Have a car rally this weekend in Cairo. Always a fun event

Reactions: 4 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Did some fiddly stuff, went to a car meet with my brother last night. I also reinstalled the passenger kick panel after 7 years, replaced drivers center taillight bulb, and installed a spare ornament i had. Then cobbled together a throttle/cruise bracket to work with the v6 cruise bracket. Living 45 miles from work really makes a guys foot tired after a while, especially when you gotta flatfoot forklifts all day. I took a 455 bracket (small one) and just placed it infront of the v6 one. i originally cut out some of the v6 cruise bracket to clear the 455 bracket, but that 455 unit set the cable back to far, so i cut the 455 bracket up and rewelded it into a better shape. Fits, clears everything. Gotta get a few check valves and a vacuum reservoir and stuff to see if the cruise still works.
279709137_5169957599763374_908775099873541527_n.jpg
car1.jpg
car2.jpg
car3.jpg
car4.jpg

Reactions: 9 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Finally, I think? I managed to close up and dress down all the holes, rips, and assorted other damage that was part and parcel of the driver's door on my Monte. Just about ready for its new skin but; I am looking for a picture or two of how the upper re-enforcing strip at the back upper edge of the door where the window goes through looks like when it's intact. Not totally sure here but looking like a previous owner or repairbody cut away part of the strip where it bends around to be tacked to the back wall that supports the lock mechanism--held in place by those three screws. If it is gone, then I have to recreate it and having something to refer to almost always helps.

Reactions: 2 users

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Just upgraded my new holley "classic" 650cfm vacsec 4150... i had all the parts already on hand for another project, not the 770SA carburator.

The throttle body/metering blocks and bowls are made from aluminum, the entire carb feels really light, the 770SA weighs a ton for having cast parts, figure i wasnt going to use the new carb for a spell due not being able to have a vac fitting available for the PCV valve. Fortunately, the 650C uses the very same throttle plate the 770SA uses, everything is exactly the same, the layout, the gasket, the ports, the same green pump cam, return springs, and even the same size throttle blades(#172), its just the diameter of the venturies in the main body that dictates the CFM between these two, there shouldnt be any issue, so i swapped the bases.

In addition to switching throttle plates, replaced the metal rear bowl float with a nitrophyl notched float, added rear jet extensions, converted the vacuum secondary pod to a quick change spring kit, i'll be keeping the as installed 6.5hg power valve, the 67(front), the 73(rear) jets and the silver(plain) vacsec spring as a baseline to see how the ZZ4 likes it, then i'll tune from there, also notice how the vacsec lower housing uses a small hole instead of a check ball to meter the vacuum and the metering blocks also came with vent whistles.
Curious..... What's the reasoning on replacing the rear bowl float w/a Nitrophyl float?

Reactions: 1 user

Caballero1981

Apprentice
Jun 20, 2016
I replaced my cars turn signal actuator pivot thing. I was leaving work one day then my turn signal lever just went completely loose. Some how the thing broke in half :wtf:. I was able to get a replacement on eBay for $35.00 and put it in though. The hardest part was getting the high beam actuator lined up and in the right place as everything went back together

Attachments

• 4C071061-05D2-4264-BFDA-43541516C194.jpeg
    4C071061-05D2-4264-BFDA-43541516C194.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 55
Reactions: 3 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Got my Hella's in today & test fitted them in the spare headlight buckets to see if I would of needed to open the backs up but I don't have to. Just like the high beams the High/low beam fits nice even with the rubber boots in place. I even compaired my adapter harness compaired to the Hella set & mine is better looking with more rigid blade terminals. A plus is mine has the correct color wires.

Reactions: 2 users

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas
Curious..... What's the reasoning on replacing the rear bowl float w/a Nitrophyl float?
Holley only makes the notched floats in nitrophyl when using jet extentions.... most holley carburators come with a regular nitrophyl anyway in the secondary side only.

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Holley only makes the notched floats in nitrophyl when using jet extentions.... most holley carburators come with a regular nitrophyl anyway in the secondary side only.
Ahh...... That makes sense. Thanks for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor