What Did You Do To Your G-Body Today? [2022]

Status
Not open for further replies.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Your comments about the IAC and them sending you a new motor got me to wondering because I have been dealing with IAC issues with my FI TECH unit since I put the VAN back on the road this spring. I'd finally discovered that the TPS sensor was inactive because the idle screw had not been set at the factory. That also explained why the accelerator pedal was so heavy and hard to depress. Once I got the throttle plates off being totally closed, the IAC finally started to respond. However that led to other issues, mainly that I would put in changes and send them to the ECU and it would accept them but nothing seemed to happen. Turns out that under the PRO Tuning Program there is a subroutine called "Learning". If I enter that, there are toggles for the TPS and IAC and Fuel that can be switched on to cause those sub-programs to "Learn". Essentially changing the default setting in each from "0" to "1" actuates the learning process. The change is sent to the ECU and it records the change and accepts it. What is happening now is that my IAC is dropping down to idle a lot faster than it used to and I can shut the unit off without diesel or run on. The only thing about them that I have noted is that the learning process only continues while the engine is running, If I park the unit and shut it down, all the learning switches automatically revert back to "0" or off. The only solution so far is to revisit those switches during warm up and pop them back to the learn position.

The other positive note to relate is that my 700R4 is a 4spd but fourth has not been getting any shift time due to most of my driving being traffic light stop and go. Managed to get some running room this AM/PM and T-mission slid into 4th slick as you please. RPM's drop, like having to slow down for snails, and you feel the downshift and the tach needle pops up ever so slightly. Tells me that I did manage to get the TV cable tensioned just right. That was one of last year's ongoing sagas.

Point here is that IAC TPS have to be able to tell the ECU what they are doing. That means that somewhere in the tuning set ups there ought to be some type of dedicated subroutine that takes the input from the Throttle Position sensor and the Idle Acc Control and sends them back to the ECU. it will likely possess some kind of default settings that will allow the car to start but after that you have to adjust or modify them by changing the on screen values or using a lap top to scan the maps and modify them by changing their values in order to get the motor to respond as ti should.

A local supplier offers refurbished lap tops for under 3 bills and one is on the agenda for me. Using the hand held and plugging in values at random is all well and good but i want to see the maps and discover for myself what my changes have done collectively; not just have to deal with them piecemeal.

Nick

Reactions: 1 user

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Your comments about the IAC and them sending you a new motor got me to wondering because I have been dealing with IAC issues with my FI TECH unit since I put the VAN back on the road this spring. I'd finally discovered that the TPS sensor was inactive because the idle screw had not been set at the factory. That also explained why the accelerator pedal was so heavy and hard to depress. Once I got the throttle plates off being totally closed, the IAC finally started to respond. However that led to other issues, mainly that I would put in changes and send them to the ECU and it would accept them but nothing seemed to happen. Turns out that under the PRO Tuning Program there is a subroutine called "Learning". If I enter that, there are toggles for the TPS and IAC and Fuel that can be switched on to cause those sub-programs to "Learn". Essentially changing the default setting in each from "0" to "1" actuates the learning process. The change is sent to the ECU and it records the change and accepts it. What is happening now is that my IAC is dropping down to idle a lot faster than it used to and I can shut the unit off without diesel or run on. The only thing about them that I have noted is that the learning process only continues while the engine is running, If I park the unit and shut it down, all the learning switches automatically revert back to "0" or off. The only solution so far is to revisit those switches during warm up and pop them back to the learn position.

The other positive note to relate is that my 700R4 is a 4spd but fourth has not been getting any shift time due to most of my driving being traffic light stop and go. Managed to get some running room this AM/PM and T-mission slid into 4th slick as you please. RPM's drop, like having to slow down for snails, and you feel the downshift and the tach needle pops up ever so slightly. Tells me that I did manage to get the TV cable tensioned just right. That was one of last year's ongoing sagas.

Point here is that IAC TPS have to be able to tell the ECU what they are doing. That means that somewhere in the tuning set ups there ought to be some type of dedicated subroutine that takes the input from the Throttle Position sensor and the Idle Acc Control and sends them back to the ECU. it will likely possess some kind of default settings that will allow the car to start but after that you have to adjust or modify them by changing the on screen values or using a lap top to scan the maps and modify them by changing their values in order to get the motor to respond as ti should.

A local supplier offers refurbished lap tops for under 3 bills and one is on the agenda for me. Using the hand held and plugging in values at random is all well and good but i want to see the maps and discover for myself what my changes have done collectively; not just have to deal with them piecemeal.

Nick
Yeah I was going back and forth with them on the TPS as well, they were thinking something might have been sticking open or closed with the high idle. But ultimately I really think it is the unit, it is a pretty strong motor but never really has any get up and go.
I don't understand why they'd make a customer wait until October with a non-functioning car.

Time for you to make noise about the kit and support being POS. See if they can't pull the parts you need from a box on the shelf waiting to be sold for $. No excuse for any of that.

I will say your a more patient man than I. After all these month of being unable to use the car I'm serious, a manual carb would be headed back on there with an old fashioned gm hei.
I had thought about that but then it leads to more because of the in tank fuel pump and other changes it would need to go back to carb. A buddy messaged me last night that he has a IAC motor brand new sitting around, debating on giving it a try today just to see if I can make it. But called Holley again last night when I got the verdict the IAC wont be in until Monday to tell them they needed to make it right, the guy I talked to this time agreed with me and said its likely the IAC isn't going to fix the issue. He went back to vacuum leaks or RF interference which I got annoyed and just got off with him

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Yeah I was going back and forth with them on the TPS as well, they were thinking something might have been sticking open or closed with the high idle. But ultimately I really think it is the unit, it is a pretty strong motor but never really has any get up and go.

I had thought about that but then it leads to more because of the in tank fuel pump and other changes it would need to go back to carb. A buddy messaged me last night that he has a IAC motor brand new sitting around, debating on giving it a try today just to see if I can make it. But called Holley again last night when I got the verdict the IAC wont be in until Monday to tell them they needed to make it right, the guy I talked to this time agreed with me and said its likely the IAC isn't going to fix the issue. He went back to vacuum leaks or RF interference which I got annoyed and just got off with him
Seeing this experience has convinced me against getting a Sniper or even doing business with Holley.

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Seeing this experience has convinced me against getting a Sniper or even doing business with Holley.
To be fair to them I have the worst luck you can have for the most part, I am a walking Murphy's law

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
To be fair to them I have the worst luck you can have for the most part, I am a walking Murphy's law
They don't make their stuff here. They charge a very pretty penny for it, and now don't want to stand behind it. No thanks. I've recently seen poor quality on their LS swap oil pan, an incorrectly bent tailpipe in their exhaust system and a swap kit with the wrong motor mounts. It doesn't look to me like your's is an isolated incident. Everyone is going to have some percentage of defective product. I get it. It's how you mitigate that, that makes the difference. For what they charge for those Snipers, they should have shipped you a unit by now. 👎

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
They don't make their stuff here. They charge a very pretty penny for it, and now don't want to stand behind it. No thanks. I've recently seen poor quality on their LS swap oil pan, an incorrectly bent tailpipe in their exhaust system and a swap kit with the wrong motor mounts. It doesn't look to me like your's is an isolated incident. Everyone is going to have some percentage of defective product. I get it. It's how you mitigate that, that makes the difference. For what they charge for those Snipers, they should have shipped you a unit by now. 👎
I Guess Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

• Haha

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Can vouch for the oil pan, the damn oil filter threaded piece stripped in the aluminum with barely any snot on it, had to heli-coil it. I already had it in the car so yea that was a process...🙄

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 users

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Can vouch for the oil pan, the damn oil filter threaded piece stripped in the aluminum with barely any snot on it, had to heli-coil it. I already had it in the car so yea that was a process...🙄
Saw on Facebook last night that Amazon has a knock off for 200 bucks cheaper, wonder if they have the same issues?

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Saw on Facebook last night that Amazon has a knock off for 200 bucks cheaper, wonder if they have the same issues?
Don't know, I wasn't happy about how I had to fix mine.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I had thought about that but then it leads to more because of the in tank fuel pump and other changes it would need to go back to carb.
Not so much.

The in tank fuel pump you just put a pressure reg at the carb, they're cheap.

Carb and distributor swap, non-ccc, just get it driving and enjoy it. You can even leave that worthless Sniper junk in place until you want to mess with it over the winter, or, uninstall and sell to some other poor sucker.

I guess their claims of better fuel mileage are sorta true. I bet you've used a gallon of gas in the car in 6 months.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor