What did you do to your non-G body project today? [2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dug my snowblower out of the back of the garage and got it ready for a new season. The last couple of years I'd been having a really hard time starting it and getting it to run smoothly. I've changed the spark plug several times, changed the oil, cleaned out the carb and lines, and it still wasn't right. I kind of figured that the coil was weak (bad?) and causing all of the problems. It's a 1995 MTD brand bought at Sam's Club in late 1995 by a relative who gave it to me about 7 years ago. It's got an 8hp Tecumseh motor. I took it apart and removed the coil. Tried to find a parts place that would have one with no luck. Then, I remembered I saved the motor from my old lawnmower I replaced 10 years ago. The chassis had rotted but the motor was mint, so I saved it. Dug it out and saw that it was made by Tecumseh. I removed the coil but it wouldn't fit the snowblower. The end points were shaped differently because the flywheel was a different diameter. Solution- grind the points down with a bench grinding wheel to fit the new flywheel. I installed it and it started right up on the first pull, even with the old gas in the tank! I ran it for 20 minutes. It ran strong. Put in some new gas and now I'm ready for the upcoming winter season.

Been busting butt of house projects the last few weekends.

Correcting some of the errors/neglected items of the previous owners. Not that they were rough, just the whole elderly people not doing a ton and leaving things be.

Patched some wall anchor and other holes, cracks and divots in the walls and painted the kitchen walls and ceiling. White cabinets, trim, walls and appliances made my dry heave every time I walked in the kitchen.

Replaced every light switch and outlet in the house. They were almost all ivory which I'm not a fan of and either loose enough plugs didn't stay in, painted over, dirty, crooked, mismatched ect. About 40 outlets and 25 switches later that's done.

Next up fix the rot and crap drywall in the basement closet. There was some water damage in it from what I assume was bad gutters and no sump pump 10 years ago. The previous owners put a sump in and got new gutters and we missed that rot in the inspection so guess l gotta do some dead tree carcass work this weekend.

Next up after that is get 220v in the garage!

Attachments

• IMG_20191117_121407.jpg
    IMG_20191117_121407.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 128
  • IMG_20191118_210121.jpg
    IMG_20191118_210121.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 129
  • IMG_20191118_210057_01.jpg
    IMG_20191118_210057_01.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 138
  • IMG_20191110_150117.jpg
    IMG_20191110_150117.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 136
  • IMG_20191118_205654_01.jpg
    IMG_20191118_205654_01.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 119
Spent most of the day dealing with a chicken injury... Somehow one of my chickens (now known as "Lame Lucy") broke it's leg. She was limping but seemed fine otherwise so I didn't want to put her down, but I didn't know what the hell to do. So got online and saw a video on how to splint a broken chicken leg- something I never thought I'd need to do, lol. She has to stay in a crate for a week or so but hopefully she'll heal up and be back to normal. I can't believe some of the sh*t I get myself into.

View attachment 128469View attachment 128470

so now your a chick doctor....time to put up a shingle...

Went chaperoning my kid's geology field trip today. It's funny how the universe works. On the way home from the school, I saw one of my buddy, Eddie Shelton's plumbing trucks going the other way. As Bill Ingvall said "Here's your sign..". I get home, wait for the wife because we were text arguing over who was taking the kid to 4h, she gets home, and tells the kid to take some stuff downstairs. "Daddy, the laundry room is all wet. " What?!?! I go downstairs and hear a hissing sound. It figures; the last piece of copper pipe between the well pump check valve and the bladder tank is pissing like a Russian race horse. Shut off the well pump, open faucets, get the wet/dry vac, and clean it up. I conferred with the neighbor to ensure I was handling the situation correctly, and he agreed. Cut the pipe, got the offensive section out, consult the stash, and I've got pipe and a 90 but no adapter bushings. It was 5:40; the local guy with the i-got-damned-near-anything-you-need hardware store/nursery 5 minutes down the street closes at 6. He had both bushings for a whopping $1.25. Glue is drying; say a prayer for me.
20191120_161647.jpg
20191120_161643.jpg

Went chaperoning my kid's geology field trip today. It's funny how the universe works. On the way home from the school, I saw one of my buddy, Eddie Shelton's plumbing trucks going the other way. As Bill Ingvall said "Here's your sign..". I get home, wait for the wife because we were text arguing over who was taking the kid to 4h, she gets home, and tells the kid to take some stuff downstairs. "Daddy, the laundry room is all wet. " What?!?! I go downstairs and hear a hissing sound. It figures; the last piece of copper pipe between the well pump check valve and the bladder tank is pissing like a Russian race horse. Shut off the well pump, open faucets, get the wet/dry vac, and clean it up. I conferred with the neighbor to ensure I was handling the situation correctly, and he agreed. Cut the pipe, got the offensive section out, consult the stash, and I've got pipe and a 90 but no adapter bushings. It was 5:40; the local guy with the i-got-damned-near-anything-you-need hardware store/nursery 5 minutes down the street closes at 6. He had both bushings for a whopping $1.25. Glue is drying; say a prayer for me.
View attachment 128832View attachment 128833

After dealing with similar issues as this, I've learnt the value of well placed shut-off valves and unions!

Worked on my free lawn mower. I tore it down, cleaned it up, replaced the broken and missing parts, painted a couple parts, sharpened the blade, had to fix one stripped out thread with a helicoil, but now it starts, runs and mows the way it is supposed to. I'd like to clean it a little more but mechanically it's 100%.

IMG_20191119_171238180-2137x1603.jpg
IMG_20191121_163105046-2137x1603.jpg
IMG_20191123_155941618-2137x1603.jpg
IMG_20191123_161730107-2137x1603.jpg
IMG_20191123_171938511-2137x1603.jpg

Check out the condition of the piston and rings-

IMG_20191121_134309940-2137x1603.jpg

Today sucked for me. Walked out the backdoor to throw some trash into the garbage can, saw a hawk had just killed my pet rooster under a house bush. Of course before I could grab a weapon the SOB took off and disappeared. My rooster's name was Reny and I buried him out in the woods. RIP Reny. Three years ago he just showed up in my backyard one day and never left.

• Sad
Reactions: Clutch and TURNA
Worked on the log splitter... tire had gone flat and come off the bead, tried squeezing it with a ratchet strap, didn't work, set it by the woodstove in the house for a bit to soften up the rubber; that did the trick. A bunch of bolts had broken off the wings that keep logs from falling off the sides and they were all twisted. I had bought grade 8 bolts to replace them years ago to do this, and now that's done.
Any plumbers in the house? I'm on my 3rd attempt at fixing my plumbing problem from Wednesday night. CPVC bushings into brass threads- b*tch keeps dripping. GRRRRR

20191123_140039.jpg

Are you sure it's not seeping through the brass?

Looks KINDA flaky in some spots.

• Haha
Reactions: fleming442
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor