What did you do to your non-G body project today? [2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wrapped up the 63 Falcon. Still needs some love,but t runs. The temp and volt gauges seem to be roached. It backfires through the carb if the idle gets low,so I think it needs some timing.
I don't know how he drove it here. The throttle cable sheath wasn't even secure. It was completely useless at the pedal.. The floats were way high, as was the throttle plate. I'm inching up on it. The old man ain't gonna know how to act! We'll get there..
IMG_20210528_214449_713.jpg
IMG_20210528_214449_745.jpg
IMG_20210528_214449_777.jpg
IMG_20210528_214449_808.jpg
20210527_170912.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20210528_214449_847.jpg
    IMG_20210528_214449_847.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 85
  • 20210528_213845.jpg
    20210528_213845.jpg
    654.2 KB · Views: 73
  • 20210528_213835.jpg
    20210528_213835.jpg
    719.1 KB · Views: 68
  • Haha
Reactions: Texas82GP
Is it raining there?

BTW - wiring looks good under the hood. 👍

Why did you fry his gauges for him?
Har-har! This thing defined "basket case" and "desperately needs help"!
Yeah, it's gonna be a wet 48. Going to the dentist's tomorrow to work on the T/A.

Last night I dropped $800 in entry fees for the OK race and a cheater practice session for next weekend. After my issues last weekend I chickened out and found myself here tonight.

PXL_20210529_041601179.jpg

I checked the passenger head with a straight edge. I couldn't get a .003" feeler under it. Seems that perhaps the one radiator cap gets hot and let's go as I initially suspected? 1 session was not enough to instill confidence with the other cap, but 2 good head gaskets will do. These heads aren't going back on. Though within spec I want them legit decked and the seals on both are all over the place. Here I'd been blaming my first time garage hone job, but the seals indicate otherwise. It'll be nice to fire it up and not watch a bigass blue cloud want on by. Or maybe I'll miss it? It sure was entertaining to fire up the Red Dragon and fill someone else's cabin with half burnt Valvoline SAE40 VR1 'Murica dino oil. I intend to be back up and running tomorrow.

Last night I dropped $800 in entry fees for the OK race and a cheater practice session for next weekend. After my issues last weekend I chickened out and found myself here tonight.

View attachment 176490

I checked the passenger head with a straight edge. I couldn't get a .003" feeler under it. Seems that perhaps the one radiator cap gets hot and let's go as I initially suspected? 1 session was not enough to instill confidence with the other cap, but 2 good head gaskets will do. These heads aren't going back on. Though within spec I want them legit decked and the seals on both are all over the place. Here I'd been blaming my first time garage hone job, but the seals indicate otherwise. It'll be nice to fire it up and not watch a bigass blue cloud want on by. Or maybe I'll miss it? It sure was entertaining to fire up the Red Dragon and fill someone else's cabin with half burnt Valvoline SAE40 VR1 'Murica dino oil. I intend to be back up and running tomorrow.
Just add a cap full to each tank at fillup and it'll be like old times!

Reactions: Texas82GP
You underestimate the amount of smoke it was rolling. It would have concerned a lesser man than I.
Sounds like my old firebird. Has about enough smoke to simulate a yard brushfire.

I'd really like to know what went bad inside, but, not enough to do anything with it yet. Car is sitting on blocks and stands about 3 feet in the air for the past couple years, and on gravel in the yard before that since... mid 2000s anyways.

Sounds like my old firebird. Has about enough smoke to simulate a yard brushfire.

I'd really like to know what went bad inside, but, not enough to do anything with it yet. Car is sitting on blocks and stands about 3 feet in the air for the past couple years, and on gravel in the yard before that since... mid 2000s anyways.

My Crown Victoria pounded the umbrella seals and it would leave a cloud leaving a stop light. I remember one time in particular a BMW had rolled up behind me, so I gave it some extra lovin' to maximize the cloud. I'm sure he was impressed.

My Crown Victoria pounded the umbrella seals and it would leave a cloud leaving a stop light. I remember one time in particular a BMW had rolled up behind me, so I gave it some extra lovin' to maximize the cloud. I'm sure he was impressed.
The last substantive trip the firebird made without being towed was back in law school when I'd been dating my wife for probably a year or so.

We were driving from Atlanta out to stone Mountain for the 4th of July. On the highway traffic was stopped due to how off ramps and streetlights were at the time. It looked foggy, and yet the sun was out. For whatever reason my wife unrolled the window and exclaimed in disgust how something was burning, and was that why the traffic was so bad?

I explained to her that, no, not really, it's our car. She turned around and twisted, watching where all the smoke came from.

It wasn't running great, at a stop you had to double pedal it (as an automatic) to keep enough vacuum to feed the brakes and such... but it also gave one heck of a pile of smoke.

After that it drove on road just a couple times a year or two apart each, and most sat. Once to a storage unit when I didn't have a garage. Then a second time about a half mile away. Last time it moved rear brakes were non functional. By then it would've been.... who knows.. 2004? 2005? Kept it around, regrettably sold a z28 and the Mercedes I'd gotten during school in the process. The bird has survived as the wife likes it, car we first started dating in. It'll turn over, just no real interest anymore in getting it running with such a sick engine that's only a 305. Probably pick up a 400 and pair of engine mounts from a 2nd gen and convert it to poncho power - I've got the hard parts like a correct numbers carb for a bandit t/a to feed its needs.

One of these days I'll do something to it. Interior still looks new.

New fuel filter is installed on the '88, also removed the small part of the fuel line that was rusted, and replaced it with 3/8ths hose.

Seems to be holding nice and good.
A8499E99-FF3E-48DE-B3B2-5FD5C4F7E091.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor