What did you do to your non-G body project today? [2022]

Status
Not open for further replies.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I picked up Lexi's Camaro last night after work. The ses light was off and it ran perfect! About half way home it lost oil pressure and started knocking. I got a ride to the store and bought 20/50 and a filter. To late the oil looks bronze metallic and there were a few pieces of metal in the brand new pan. I tried changing the oil and filter anyway and started it up. Good oil pressure but still a knock. If it was for me I'd run it until it lets go but it's for Lexi and I don't want it to leave her on the side of the road. Money is really tight so I'm not sure what to do at this point. I'm probably going to price out used motors today.

I've been told bad things come in 3s so between the truck the 78 cutlass and the Camaro am I done yet?
Sorry to hear that one, I thought you were on the upswing finally. I'm sure the mentality was F-it but any idea on why the oil pressure dumped? Can it be linked to the shop?
I hear things like that makes me wonder if someone flogged the hell out of it.
X2 especially because it was there SO long.

I wonder.... because it was busted from the start, how does the mileage onnth odometer compare? Figure what's on the title to what's on it now with an idea how much YOU drove it should tell something.

I had come here to post this nugget for Clutch because as SOON as I read the comment I pictured his dmax in the bay, cab in the air...

Screenshot_20220802-115449_Chrome.jpg

However, curses upon curses, it seems like the mention of the series II leaves him snakebit too.

Clutch - no promises, my leg is a mess, and my back isnt much better. But I want like heck and hades to get to New England asap assuming I can find the thread for the free 301 and that it's still there. What it means for you is that if LKQ in say savannah ga, *maybe* charleston sc has a warranteed 3800 with ultra low miles, shoot me a message and I'll see if there's ANY way I can get it up there for you, id guess they can forklift it into the back of the yukon xl. I wouldn't be able to do much inspecting on it, but. Maybe it opens doors for you.

Just not yet sure I can *physically* pull it off.

Reactions: 2 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
I hear things like that makes me wonder if someone flogged the hell out of it.

That's the equivalent of flogging a rwd Taurus. Then again, I see wrecked V6 Camaros at the junkyard.

Reactions: 1 user

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Nothing with a title
Assuming you never sold it and that you bought back any salvage if anything ever happened, maybe there's something that needs 'firewall repairs'

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
RE: Colin Furze's video on how to make a jet engine using a scrap yard turbo. Gotta be a followup to this somewhere as all there was on the bench at the end of the first video was an interesting bit of potential yard art.

Nick

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
RE: Colin Furze's video on how to make a jet engine using a scrap yard turbo. Gotta be a followup to this somewhere as all there was on the bench at the end of the first video was an interesting bit of potential yard art.

Nick
He did some planning and design videos. There are a few more people with similar videos that have some essential math and design calculations. Lack of info isn't the problem, having a goal is. The bbq idea has a purpose, maybe a jet turbine generator? Or camping boiler for a shower?

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
I'm light on pics, but rented a trench digger Sunday and laid out sprinkler heads in the back yard. Built a manifold just now and hope to mate it up to the other box in the ground tomorrow and leak check my work this far. I do still need to run the lines to the garden beds too, but this manifold gives me 2 stations for the back yard and 1 each for the garden beds I built earlier this year.

PXL_20220803_040801096.MP.jpg

It'll make more sense once it's in the ground. Top left is input from adjacent box, top right is where the old drain will thread in. Here's the yard all dugup before I laid out all the lines and sprinkler heads.

PXL_20220731_193518146.MP.jpg
PXL_20220731_193445094.MP.jpg
PXL_20220731_193439281.MP.jpg

This is now in direct competition with getting my Z06 back together. Today my billet 3-4 keys and springs arrived from G Force. They look nothing like the "billet" keys I'd previously ordered from thegearbox.org. Tick buys from them too. G Force on the left, TGB on the right.

PXL_20220803_032439920.MP.jpg

Take a close look at how the keys on the right are scratched just by assembling and disassembling the syncro. Now look at how the keys on the left might be used, but the tops are untouched. Here's how the keys on the right fail.

PXL_20220201_030110376.jpg

Garbage. So it seems I'll just get my keys from G Force in the future.

Reactions: 6 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
So far nothing local for a 3.8 series 2 1 in Poughkeepsie New York 1 in Western Pennsylvania 1 in Georgia all priced way high for motors over 100k still looking though. I've got to slow it down a bit and take things one at a time though. Obviously I need to do everything myself and can't trust a shop for anything if I want it done right. So Lexi is going to have to wait until my truck is back together for her Camaro to be fixed and hopefully something will come up in the meantime for a motor. Until then I figure I'll be like a car dealer and go with some "honey" and maybe a "can of mechanic" I know that sh*t doesn't fix anything but maybe it can buy me a month or something. Idk . I do know that the valve guides came for my heads and they were working on them yesterday. The Machinist stopped me by the front office and let me know that they were underway. Janet gave me a ride to work yesterday so I took the uplander home last night. Tonight I'm back on rusty Duramax cab.

Reactions: 2 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
So far nothing local for a 3.8 series 2 1 in Poughkeepsie New York 1 in Western Pennsylvania 1 in Georgia all priced way high for motors over 100k still looking though. I've got to slow it down a bit and take things one at a time though. Obviously I need to do everything myself and can't trust a shop for anything if I want it done right. So Lexi is going to have to wait until my truck is back together for her Camaro to be fixed and hopefully something will come up in the meantime for a motor. Until then I figure I'll be like a car dealer and go with some "honey" and maybe a "can of mechanic" I know that sh*t doesn't fix anything but maybe it can buy me a month or something. Idk . I do know that the valve guides came for my heads and they were working on them yesterday. The Machinist stopped me by the front office and let me know that they were underway. Janet gave me a ride to work yesterday so I took the uplander home last night. Tonight I'm back on rusty Duramax cab.

A fwd 3800 SII is the same as a RWD one despite what the exchange tells you. I have an L67 in my firebird which is obviously only a FWD option.

Swap the flywheel, oil pan & pickup, intake manifold, power steering pump, alt and AC compressor, & oil filter bracket and it's all the same otherwise. Essentially the long block is the same FWD or RWD.

The water pump & front cover are identical.

1659532737484.png

• Informative
Reactions: 5 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor