What did you do to your non-G body project today? [2022]

Status
Not open for further replies.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
So a while back I posted about my MIA bearing endplay checking fixture/tool/jig/WTF it's called. At the time, the first one I had made had gone awol and had apparently been missing for some time although, because I had not been building or servicing any wheels, the absence had gone un-notiiced. In retrospect it could have gotten lost anytime prior to the turn of the millenium or the construction of my shop. Not sure what ever became of it. As you are about to see, one of them is just slightly too large to just turn sideways and vanish.

DSCN3550.JPG

DSCN3551.JPG

So these two shots are of my newly finished replacement bearing endplay checking fixture, Mark Two, I think I did post pictures a few pages ago of the plate sitting on the drill press table and clamped in position for the final bore to tolerance. The bit came in today. Took two weeks to get it and two minutes to complete the hole. The cut to length section of All Thread that I elected to use for my spindle was a 0-0 fit. How? Well, it turns out that 3/4" NC all thread is not 3/4 inch in major diameter; that is it is not ,750 on the micrometer dial. It is only .733. That, oddly enough, when I consulted my drilling card, turns out to be the same as 47/64 in the fractional world, and drill bits of that size are made and can be obtained, or ordered and obtained which is what I had to do. When I bored the hole to a final diameter of .733 and fitted the section of rod into it, they mated together perfectly. No flopsy/wobbly that would have to be dealt with to get the spindle to be straight in the hole.

The second shot clearly shows the bottom spindle nut. This is specially machined item, there are two, top and bottom, that are a combination of bearing spacer and nut and which shoulder up against the taper bearings when the wheel is loaded onto the spindle. The bottom one is permanent. It stays where it is. The spindle threads through it and the plate and comes to rest in a 3/4 NC 2H, aka Heavy Hex nut that is welded to to bottom. When a wrench is put to the spindle nut and it is snugged tight, it locks the spindle in place but still allows for it to be removed should a wheel with a wider hub have to be set in place and checked.

DSCN3553.JPG

Flipping the tool over to expose the bottom clearly shows the mounting tab/ear that gets put into the vise and secured in place. It is the same thickness as the plate, actually a short section of the plate that was cut off during the sizing process for just that purpose. It is centered from side to side and the joint edge was chamfered before it was welded in place. The chamfer gave me some seriously deep penetration in order to get the strongest mechanical connection possible. i do not want the plate to snap free while I am running a wheel. I do not need that picture beside any of my definitions of a bad thing.

Also visible is the belly nut that I also welded in place. I like the heavy hex nuts for this kind of exercise. I can set the welder for 1/4 plate and pour the heat to it and get the penetration that I need without deforming or melting the nut. The only precaution needed is to take a flap wheel or grinder to the faces to shave off the cad plating that they come with from the factory. While useful for rust inhibition, the stuff gives off fumes when hit with heat. Not pleasant and hard on the lungs.

DSCN3554.JPG

For the sake of showing what this tool is meant to do, I elected to load the wheel that I will be doing the bearing preload and endplay check on, onto the spindle and set the upper spindle nut into position to display how it all fits together. There is no torque on the nut, because there is not internal sleeve spacer put in place between the bearings. That spacer is one of the reasons for having this tool; to take the measurements needed to learn exactly how long the spacer needs to be and then take them to the lathe to whittle one.

DSCN3555.JPG

DSCN3556.JPG

DSCN3557.JPG

Finally, this is a three shot detail series showing how the upper spindle nut interacts with the bearing. In a real world test, the spacer mentioned above would be in place and the spindle nut run down to finger tight and then torqued to 55 foot/pounds; the same value used for the axle nut when the wheel is shod with a tire and put in service. The presence of the torque is necessary to get the correct value or reading once a dial indicator is set up and zeroed. Endplay is measured in thousandths and can be set tight enough that .010 is considered sloppy by some builders. HD offers a range for the spec they provide; something to do with variations in the casting and machining of the wheels. This particular unit is date coded 1974 according to the digit suffix on the part number although it could be younger. The part numbers tend to stay constant until an upgrade or change in application is introduced. More than a couple of them around that are not going to get discussed. That is a topic for a bunch of us greybeards while digging through greasy and rusty piles of bike parts at a swap meet.

So anyway, the tool itself is complete and ready for service. You might have noted the holes at the tab end of the plate. They were there to begin with but I think I am going to make a leash or tether for this one to keep it from wandering off like its predecessor. Murphy's Law says that now I have made it, the old one will finally show up.:LOL:

Nick

Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Replaced the tensioner, idler, belt and all the hoses on my niece's 2013 Impala. What a fight! Sean and I were on it all day but it's done and it's done right. The hoses seemed to be a little swollen so it was time. The car has just under 99k miles on it. It's in very nice shape so it was well worth doing. I hate working on those front wheel drive cars. I'm glad it's done. It should put quite a bit of reliability back into the car.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Me and my gf randomly came across my friend as we were driving back from a baby shower, and decided to go to his favorite little fishing spot behind an old power plant type area. He got too overconfident/drunk and beached his 4x4 gmt 800 on a muddy hill. After an hour of dickin around in the dark, we went to Mr. Beach's house and tried to get his 4x4 square body to awaken from its 7 month hibernation. Unfortunately, the th350 finally sh*t the bed, so we drove 45 minutes to my house at 1am to grab my truck, throw the seat back in it (was replacing the floor pans), and drive 45 minutes back to yank him off of his hubris. We then called it a night.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Also, i claim message #8,888.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Purchased a lot of machinist measuring tools from a friend of my FIL who is retiring.

Pulled what I already owned out and compared to what I bought.

I got some stuff I wanted like inside and depth mics but now have 3 full sets of outside mics :/
PXL_20221203_183408541.jpg

Reactions: 6 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Took my Camaro to the track yesterday and on the last session of the day on a 2-3 upshift found the rev limiter. Threw the car in neutral and no weird sounds, so tried throwing 4th gear and found a noisy neutral. FML. I coasted a good 1/2 mile+ back to my trailer's ramp door, put the shifter in 1st, and it stayed put. Found 3 able bodies and shoved it the rest of the way in. Today I unloaded it and found 1st and reverse functional, albeit difficult to get into. As I pulled up to the lift, I held the brake, put the car in 4th, and let out the clutch. Eventually it made the same sound, so I killed it, yanked the trans, and removed an unremarkable clutch. Looks a little more worn than when I had it out back in the Spring, but nothing catastrophic. Trans fluid came out good, smelled not used up, popped the cover off the diff and that all came out brown and not used up, no immediately visible metal in either. The only logical thing I can think of is to nab a new dual friction clutch disc for $150, put it back together, and repeat the experiment to see what happens. At the onset, I thought whatever I did was gonna be super obvious. Such does not appear to be the case.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
Did you reset the computer so it doesn't overcharge the new battery? New cars are programed to increase the recharge voltage over time as the battery ages. But this means that when a new battery is installed you need to reset the computer so it doesn't fry the new battery.
Generally, you can just leave the battery unplugged for about 5 minutes to reset the adaptive learning. You can also use a scan tool to force a reset, but not everyone has a smart enough tool to have that function.

Funny enough, I help make the battery sensors for a lot of GM vehicles so I know more about them than I could ever want to.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Generally, you can just leave the battery unplugged for about 5 minutes to reset the adaptive learning. You can also use a scan tool to force a reset, but not everyone has a smart enough tool to have that function.

Funny enough, I help make the battery sensors for a lot of GM vehicles so I know more about them than I could ever want to.
The battery was out for a few hours while we struggled to find a replacement locally. Everything seems normal. This adaptive learning/charging was a new one on me. My scan tool is probably smart enough to have the function to force the reset. I'm still learning to use it. Thank you both for the input.

Reactions: 2 users
Nov 4, 2012
Me and my gf randomly came across my friend as we were driving back from a baby shower, and decided to go to his favorite little fishing spot behind an old power plant type area. He got too overconfident/drunk and beached his 4x4 gmt 800 on a muddy hill. After an hour of dickin around in the dark, we went to Mr. Beach's house and tried to get his 4x4 square body to awaken from its 7 month hibernation. Unfortunately, the th350 finally sh*t the bed, so we drove 45 minutes to my house at 1am to grab my truck, throw the seat back in it (was replacing the floor pans), and drive 45 minutes back to yank him off of his hubris. We then called it a night.

My impression of what Iowa is like is wild.

• Haha

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Took my Camaro to the track yesterday and on the last session of the day on a 2-3 upshift found the rev limiter. Threw the car in neutral and no weird sounds, so tried throwing 4th gear and found a noisy neutral. FML. I coasted a good 1/2 mile+ back to my trailer's ramp door, put the shifter in 1st, and it stayed put. Found 3 able bodies and shoved it the rest of the way in. Today I unloaded it and found 1st and reverse functional, albeit difficult to get into. As I pulled up to the lift, I held the brake, put the car in 4th, and let out the clutch. Eventually it made the same sound, so I killed it, yanked the trans, and removed an unremarkable clutch. Looks a little more worn than when I had it out back in the Spring, but nothing catastrophic. Trans fluid came out good, smelled not used up, popped the cover off the diff and that all came out brown and not used up, no immediately visible metal in either. The only logical thing I can think of is to nab a new dual friction clutch disc for $150, put it back together, and repeat the experiment to see what happens. At the onset, I thought whatever I did was gonna be super obvious. Such does not appear to be the case.
Makes me lean towards the T56. I smoked my old LS7 Clutch but when it was cooled down the car had all 7 and moved fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor