What did you do to your non-G body project today? [2022]

Status
Not open for further replies.

79CutlassSupreme

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 21, 2014
Wichita, KS
I was messing about in the garage when the wife pulled her Lexus in to her stall the other day and smelled the distinctive smell of hot coolant coming from her car. The car was just in for service the Friday before and nothing was said about a coolant leak or needing to add any... so I was a tad perplexed. I asked her if the car had been acting up or getting hot, which was met with a shrug and "not that I've noticed". So I backed the car out of the stall to see if there was any evidence of a leak on the garage floor. A tiny drop of orangish red liquid was present.... well crap what now? These cars have the plastic splash panels everywhere on the top and bottom and after removing the one that covers the front area and looking down and all around the radiator I could see coolant around the top tank, which can really only mean one of two things.... either the fluid was topped off and some was spilled or more likely a crack in the plastic tank. There was also quite a bit of coolant pooled on the lower splash panels and soaked through the A/C condenser, it was everywhere. I then pulled the core support cross brace/radiator holder downer thing which revealed the horizontal crack across the front of the tank, seeping. Time for a new one.... the car does have about 200k on it now. Luckily these aren't too terrible to do. It's all put back together sans all the splash panels at this time, as I wanted to make sure I/we could see any leaks on the ground.... you know just in case I did something wrong.
IMG_3094.JPG
IMG_3098.JPG

Reactions: 2 users

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
pressure cook the chicken before tossing it into a bucket of screaming hot cooking lard
The idea there is to pressure cook the chicken to get all the good fat out. With that you make incredible chicken soup. Then you bread and deep fry the semi-cooked parts for awesome fried chicken. My Grandma and Wifey make it that way. 😍

Reactions: 1 users

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Today was cool and dry so perfect for cutting out rusty floor boards on my 1968 Firebird project. I have a replacement floor pan but I didn't need that much. The part under the driver seat is solid. The rust worms were in the usual spot, where the feet rest. I was able to get it out in one piece so I can copy it from the new panel. There are small holes here and there on other parts but nothing serious. Even the trunk is solid. This was the worst part. See my Frankenstien welding for the 4 speed shifter? It fits the factory console. The problem was that it is a Super T-10 which was never offered in 1968. So my buddy made me a custom shifter mount to fit the ST-10 while mounting the offset 1968 Hurst shifter. The factory console allows for no error so it had to be exact. This was originally an OHC 6 automatic car, now a 455/ ST-10. IMG_0540.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
The idea there is to pressure cook the chicken to get all the good fat out. With that you make incredible chicken soup. Then you bread and deep fry the semi-cooked parts for awesome fried chicken. My Grandma and Wifey make it that way. 😍
wouldn't know. I was raised in the military in Europe so we had all the good stuff like c'vap-cici, toad in the hole, beef rolauden, schnitzel, etc. Then I got married much later, eventually had a live-in MiL and got all the home-made mexican food, like tamales, enchiladas, caldo, fajitas, tacos, mexican rice, etc.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I was raised in the military in Europe
I am Slovac so Eastern European food is what we grew up on. Similar to German, much is the same. I found me a Hungarian wife that made all the same Hunky food that I love. The Pittsburgh guys know of what I speak!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I am Slovac so Eastern European food is what we grew up on. Similar to German, much is the same. I found me a Hungarian wife that made all the same Hunky food that I love. The Pittsburgh guys know of what I speak!
And you don't have to be a Hunky to enjoy it.

Reactions: 1 user

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Built a wall. It's beautiful, it's the best wall, people will be talking about it for years. It's so American.

Framed and insulated the last wall in the basement. For some reason it was never finished. Probably going to frame in a small closet in the room in the other side of the wall to the right and drywall this wall.

PXL_20221218_024111287.jpg

PXL_20221218_035621657.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Might want to leave some space between the insulation batts and that concrete wall for air to circulate. If it can breathe a little the chances of black mold tend to drop. Also seen where a layer of 10 mil heavy plastic sheeting was placed between the studs and the wall as a vapor barrier, same reason.

Nick

gdouaire

G-Body Guru
Aug 7, 2013
Québec City, Québec CANADA
20221129_122348.jpg

Replacing the secondary air pump on my 2003 Oldsmobile Aurora. It was making an awful noise at each startup. Its plastic casing was brittle and was falling apart just by looking at it.

Reactions: 1 user

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I cut out a section of the floor pan to fit what I needed. I kept a bit of overlap so welding will be strong. Butt welding is OK if you have access but this spot is difficult to get at all the edges cleanly. Either way gaps make for a problem with holes where water can get in if you don't use some seamsealer. With overlap you can schmear some into the overlap gap and it won't come out so easy. If I had the body on a rotisserie I could flip it over and do a double weld but this is not so bad as to demand that. Now I have to drag the MIG up from the basement and get it welded in. I have a stick welder I keep in the garage but I don't want to deal with slag. I want clean welds. IMG_0544.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor