What did you do to your non-G body project today? [2023]

Pic of ammo box with two (of the projected four burners) being used for mockup of height of hot air heating tube.

Attachments

• 20230129_130829.jpg
    20230129_130829.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 55
  • 20230129_130836.jpg
    20230129_130836.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 52
Slapped a new bearing and seal into the right rear corner of the Camaro last night. Seal was 2 seasons old, but this is the side I'd snapped an axle shaft on.

PXL_20230128_221234114.MP.jpg

Yeah, not liking that. Here it was when I broke the thing.

IMG_20201009_085005.jpg

Have you ever watched your wheel pass you, hit the tire wall, then launch into outer space? Because I have. Thankfully I had a friend willing to shag the thing a good 1/4 mile from said wall, which was another solid 1/8 mile from pit.

IMG_20201009_140659.jpg

IMG_20201009_105022.jpg

IMG_20201009_095413.jpg

I managed this on the exit curb of Turn 1 on the first green lap of the day. Thought I went in too hot, lifted, said F it send the thing, rode the exit curb until I didn't, then had to tripod the thing to a stop to keep from grinding the passenger rear shock mount into the ground any more than possible. That was more of a task than I would have guessed, as it turns out in that scenario there's only 1 front tire on the ground. Here was the initial fix.

PXL_20210308_050748820.jpg

Well, this plus a smear of black silicone to cover the JB Weld and seal housing. Both were still sticking when I yanked this seal yesterday. I biffed the new seal in a little deeper than flush yesterday too. If it doesn't seal maybe I try a repair bearing next? The seal seats deeper than the axle tubes damage even when seated flush. With that done I stuffed it into the trailer, easier said than done. We got a solid 1.5" of snow overnight and the temps never left the teens, so that meant I got to drive this pig on slicks down the road to my trailer. That aspect turned out really well. Getting up the ramp took a bit more finesse but I got my way. Tied it down and it's at the hangar. Next I had to clean up the garage and give the wiff her parking spot back, but first I had to take a whack at the spare Camaro trans I could finally reach again. I got the main shaft back together again with new billet chromoly 1-4 keys and a not split 3rd syncro ring. Looking good here.

PXL_20230130_025346299.MP.jpg

But not so much here.

PXL_20230130_025538848.MP.jpg

That fail was a one and done slam bang 2-3 upshift. I replaced that with June's 3rd gear ring and 4th with the same. 4th gave me about .015" more wear gap meaning the syncros I'd replaced this past summer out of sheer paranoia we're still gtg all along. So I'm out less than $40 for the 1-2 billet keys I didn't have on hand, nothing for the extra set of 3-4 keys I chose to have on hand prior, nothin for the 3-4 syncro keys I already paid for in June, nothing for the extra carbon reverse syncro I've had since 2019, nothing for the shift fork pads I had on hand. . . slam dunk of a trans repair if I don't say so myself. Just need to get a new input seal to move forward from here.

Have you ever watched your wheel pass you, hit the tire wall, then launch into outer space? Because I have. Thankfully I had a friend willing to shag the thing a good 1/4 mile from said wall, which was another solid 1/8 mile from pit.
Would you believe sort of yes?

Except the car was my 1985 Riviera T-Type with the hot air turbo mounted between the engine and firewall, it was going 80mph on I90 in New York just after the Albany off shoot, the tire in question was the front driver side that broke 3 of 5 wheel studs and bent the other 2 as the wheel then came off, it bounced in the air at eye level as we passed it (driving to a corporate meeting in NJ from MA) while I was in the far left lane and had to make my way to the RH shoulder, and, the new trainee in the passenger seat looked like he peed his pants.

Oddly enough, car and tire ended up within a hundred or so feet of eachother.

About 5 hours at a diesel mechanic station later as they had to machine out the axle for 5 new oversized studs based on what was available later we drive to NJ, and, a day later on the way home on the i87 Northway just north of the 287 interchange I heard a telltale ping and pulled into the rest area... down one lug nut again already. Had to park the car, hang out till 130am waiting for someone to come with a chase car to watch for me and warn if things got worse before a wheel came off and limped it home at 35mph.

Reactions: xcookpac
Brought the 99 to the shop for a pick up tube o-ring replacement. Took about 8 hours, and left me wishing all I needed in PA was a 2wd truck.
View attachment 215066
The factory o-ring was less circular and more tubular than it should’ve been.
View attachment 215067
Once it was out, it looked like half of it was in contact with the pump for quite a while, long enough to stain the o-ring with oil coloring.
Around the end of November, the oil pressure at cold idle dropped to low to mid 20s from a constant 40 and the engine started running for several seconds in colder weather with 0 oil pressure, and only reached 40 when warm.

8 hours, a bunch of cleaning, cursing, and the occasional drop of oil in the eye, it went together and I saw this on the dash less than 4 seconds after starting it:
View attachment 215068
50 psi. In an engine that *may* have 300k on it.
I’m overjoyed, too bad the rest of the truck is so bad, I’ll need to replace it this year.
Good idea getting the motor ready to swap into the G body when the truck goes away

Would you believe sort of yes?

Except the car was my 1985 Riviera T-Type with the hot air turbo mounted between the engine and firewall, it was going 80mph on I90 in New York just after the Albany off shoot, the tire in question was the front driver side that broke 3 of 5 wheel studs and bent the other 2 as the wheel then came off, it bounced in the air at eye level as we passed it (driving to a corporate meeting in NJ from MA) while I was in the far left lane and had to make my way to the RH shoulder, and, the new trainee in the passenger seat looked like he peed his pants.

Oddly enough, car and tire ended up within a hundred or so feet of eachother.

About 5 hours at a diesel mechanic station later as they had to machine out the axle for 5 new oversized studs based on what was available later we drive to NJ, and, a day later on the way home on the i87 Northway just north of the 287 interchange I heard a telltale ping and pulled into the rest area... down one lug nut again already. Had to park the car, hang out till 130am waiting for someone to come with a chase car to watch for me and warn if things got worse before a wheel came off and limped it home at 35mph.

I'd say that's worse than it happening on a race track. I waited all of 2 minutes tops for a tow truck.

Brought the 99 to the shop for a pick up tube o-ring replacement. Took about 8 hours, and left me wishing all I needed in PA was a 2wd truck.
View attachment 215066
The factory o-ring was less circular and more tubular than it should’ve been.
View attachment 215067
Once it was out, it looked like half of it was in contact with the pump for quite a while, long enough to stain the o-ring with oil coloring.
Around the end of November, the oil pressure at cold idle dropped to low to mid 20s from a constant 40 and the engine started running for several seconds in colder weather with 0 oil pressure, and only reached 40 when warm.

8 hours, a bunch of cleaning, cursing, and the occasional drop of oil in the eye, it went together and I saw this on the dash less than 4 seconds after starting it:
View attachment 215068
50 psi. In an engine that *may* have 300k on it.
I’m overjoyed, too bad the rest of the truck is so bad, I’ll need to replace it this year.
I did the O-Ring in my 2001 Sierra 2500HD when I did the oil pan gasket a while back. 200k mile 6.0l that is almost 60psi cold and 50psi hot.

The new GM replacement one is the Red one from what I've seen, where did you get the black one?

I'd say that's worse than it happening on a race track. I waited all of 2 minutes tops for a tow truck.
At the time it started as disbelief, then became comical for a bit.... the waiting at the service station while they did what sounded like a medium term repair was weird, the place had the contracts to tow/impound all the DOT trucking violators so I heard a lot about a "boston Buffalo express" who apparently suck at logs and played fast and loose with rules....

When we did get to NJ we got complementary drink tickets for the bar which was nice. Then it became a funny story about driving and seeing a tire out the window that then went bouncing by.....

I guess too much horsepower for that poor fwd drivetrain.

I did the O-Ring in my 2001 Sierra 2500HD when I did the oil pan gasket a while back. 200k mile 6.0l that is almost 60psi cold and 50psi hot.

The new GM replacement one is the Red one from what I've seen, where did you get the black one?
It’s a Fel-Pro replacement, just whatever the local O’Riley’s had.

No parts, one delivery; 1/8 hex shank drill bits for my DeWalt. Nothing that can be attached to something else to make it look like I have made a little progress.

No heat. Temps get up to 0 F for about as long as a coffee break and then head for pointsr much colder. Spring long range supposed to be colder than normal, about like last year.

No budget. Supply chain with nothing in it =frustration, but prices, even on line are hideous to stupid for rust glued together by paint.

BOTHER!!!!!

Jim

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor