What did you do to your non-G body project today? [2023]

Yeah, supposedly it drains them. But I think the 200A coming in won that battle.

It was explained to me that's a wives-tail dating back to when batteries were made out of wood.

The wood would soak in moisture out of the concrete and it would alter the chemistry in the battery.

But if it's not wood allegedly it doesn't matter.

• Agree
Reactions: DRIVEN and Rktpwrd
Confirms other rumors that new batteries don't get drained by concrete.

In other non-G news, I finally zapped that T56 back together that I scattered back in December.

PXL_20230213_041630530.MP.jpg

Now watch the current trans in the Camaro go immortal. According to Murphy's Law, as long as I have a spare, I should never have trans trouble right?

The issue with a battery on concrete is that any acid dripping down the sides accumulates under the battery and causes a path for a voltage drain. Take a multi-meter and probe the sides of a dirty battery and you will find several volts of leakage. Left like that for any length of time and the battery is dead as a doornail. If you keep the battery clean, dry, and wash with baking soda/water mixture now and then, no drain. I know because I store batteries on concrete all the time. But they are kept clean and charged. In other news my GYP power steering pump was leaking. I tracked the leak to the reservoir. Stupid NOPAR uses a separate reservoir with an O-ring between that and the pump. I pulled it apart and cleaned it up real good. But I had no O-rings that size except for some HNBR ones for AC use. I saw the high pressure line used an HNBR O-ring at the pump so I figured it should be good enough for the reservoir too. In fact I saw that where the reservoir seated in the pump there was a perfect cavity for another smaller O-ring, so I added one there. Yeah, I'm a belt-and-braces guy. It was only a small gravity leak and they fit OK. So far no leaks. Time will tell.

Power stop is who I used for rear brake shoes on my dually. They're semi-metallic bonded shoes, the only ones I could find like that. They have a GG coefficient of friction and are super aggressive, too aggressive for an empty truck. I've been very impressed with them and it's left a good taste in my mouth for the brand.

Today I decided to try cooking some car batteries to try and breathe some life back into them.

View attachment 215902

The procedure was just like using a stick welder, but that charger has a 200A setting so I used that. First up was a group 75 Interstate side post, initial reading was 12.3V and failed the load test miserably. Zapped it for 3 5 minute sessions and it reeked like rotten eggs as I did it, so not sure if I can use it or not. It's a 750CCA battery and showed 800CCA after the 3rd hit and held it. Next up was an Advance Auto Parts battery in my 1500. It randomly became weak, but would still always start my truck so lived with it until now. 10.4V initial and failed the load test worse than the 1st. Was showing near 1000 CCA after the first hit and just over after the second hit so I put it back in the truck. It's like new. The 3rd battery showed 3.7V and was still junk after 2 hits. I'll try mixing some Epsom salt in distilled water, top it off, and go from there to see if I can get that one back, it's sized for the Z06.
Glad to hear you had good experience with the Power Stops, I bought them a few years ago for the Blazer so looking forward to getting that on there soon

Reactions: Rktpwrd
Friday I got the second turbo and the headers for it, so decided to stay and put them on. Pulled the old rad to make room for everything, all went smooth until I was on my way home and heard some grinding. Went back and found that one of the pads was all the way gone while the other 3 were pretty well off, checked the caliper and slides and they were both OK so threw on some new pads for the moment to get by
20230210_172310.jpg
20230210_164227.jpg
20230210_190341.jpg
20230210_181209.jpg

Drywall, my nemesis.

Added a closet into the basement shop room because
#1 the adjacent mechanical room was unnecessarily large
#2 decided to finish the last 8ft wall in the mechanical room basement that wasn't finished and was there with studs and drywall out so it made sense to scope creep
#3 since we put egress windows in the lack of a closet was the only thing that was stopping this room from being an official bedroom for reseale value yo
#4 it's a good place to squirrel 🐿️ away more car and model projects from my wife lol

Fit the door
PXL_20230215_020509224.jpg

Drywall primered the area,
PXL_20230215_034853306.jpg

And stained the door and trim
PXL_20230215_034621039.jpg

Worked on my Olds over the weekend since it was warm weather.

I also gave it it's first by hand car wash, cleaned up actually really nice haha.

1. Since I bought the vehicle with a coolant leak, I decided to make a video, on applying RTV while I changed the thermostat, because apparently many don't understand, how doing it properly actually is not that hard 🙃😂😂😂

I had bought the Fel Pro one anyway, just in case but to prove my point, but I only did this because which ever people who owned this vehicle before me, did all this work on the engine, including sending units for the oil and coolant temp gauges.

But for some reason, they f^cked up applying the RTV, and doing the vacuum lines.

2. Which is something I also did. This carburetor despite already having an Autoline stamp- I guess needs another rebuild.

Because the distributor, was hooked up to ported for some reason, and after checking at idle, it seems like I was only getting full manifold at the choke pull off hose.

So a quick tee, and a small adjustment of the RPM screw for idle, WOW even with the engine knock, it's so nice sounding 😍🤣🤣🤣

3. I took the NGK spark plug wires, and replaced the AC Delco PACKARD (Idk what this) stuff 😤💪💪💪

Attachments

• 0E8EC9F7-776E-476A-A98D-3EA8335B2DD2.jpeg
    0E8EC9F7-776E-476A-A98D-3EA8335B2DD2.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 52
  • D08D18F1-25F1-4631-A2FF-DBC760B14A79.jpeg
    D08D18F1-25F1-4631-A2FF-DBC760B14A79.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 49
Reactions: mclellan83

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor