What did you do to your non-G body project today? [2023]

For those of you who take the time to periodically peruse my ramblings, one of the recent recurring themes has been my adventures in the land of motorcycle wheel bearings. i do believe that I mentioned that the back wheel is finally complete and ready for it's tire to be mounted.

As matters happened to fall out, I do have a matching front rim, alloy, made in Japan back in the late 70's, but with no guts. That was not an issue because it is one of a pair. The principal difference is finish, one being left as a raw, as cast finish with only the spoke faces being machined and polished, and the other receiving a black finish and again having the spoke faces cut flat and polished.

So I pulled the internals out of the raw casting and set them on my bearing endplay measurement jig deck so that they could be loaded into the black unit. And because this model/style of rim uses a predetermined internal sleeve that sets the bearing endplay, and the length of this sleeve can vary from rim to rim, I elected to set up the bearing jig with a set of checking bearings so that I could do a quick tug check to see if any endplay was present. NOPE. Nary a thousandth. Wheel spun easily and quietly but nothing by way of useful tolerance.

But, along with everything else, I happen to have an evil mind and it occurred to me to consider whether the checking bearings were identical to the service bearings. So apart came the wheel and out came my 0-1 micrometer. The first thing I looked at was the source and the checkers were f*g units Made in Germany. I miked them out to .6522 and .6540 wide respectively.

The service or running bearings were Timken and Made in USA. They miked out to .6550 and .6545. The difference, while amounting to a mere .0023 in terms of variation in total width, still works out to enough that when the service bearings were stacked into position on the spindle and the same spacer added, I found appreciable endplay. Not much, only a few thousandths, on the order of .002 or so but that is as much as I want or need for this exercise.

The plan now is to set up the dial indicator and get an actual reading of what I have. Meantime the rim sits peacefully on the spindle of my bearing jig; its erstwhile partner has gone back to the garage/shop for storage.

The balance of the day got given over to domestic chores. The sidewalks got swept so that I could save and recycle the sand. Checked on the ice elimination progress out on the main door ramp and found the fence gate to be free and able to open. Gave some thought to dismounting the snow blower barrier that acts as a wall to keep snow from the front drive from getting tossed onto the sidewalk during blowr operation in the driver pit. Decided against it simply because there is still snow sitting in the location where it gets stored so no point in going through the exercise if there is no where to move it to.

Did do some serious re-arranging of a bunch of stuff to get enough room to lift the bike and move it out and away from the back of the Monte. Apart from getting room for the bike, this gives me room to slide under the car and move on with hanging the back pipes on the exhaust and tweaking the mufflers to sit flat. Hey, Lemons and Lemonade.

Nick

Reactions: Bonnewagon
Fortunately all my sh*t has been staying together because I've been busy with college classes, working my way to another degree to add to my resume. I guess that can be considered a project, using the last of my GI Bill for this one and it'll get me promoted at work. 🙂

Reactions: Bonnewagon
Received an out-of-the-blue call from my Insurance Broker on Tuesday. Seems that they wanted an updated appraisal on the the value of my HD Electraglide for insurance purposes. So I had the dealer all lined up to do the appraisal and get a message that they want an appraiser and here is a list to choose from. Meh.

Had the appraisor visit today. Spent about a half hour taking pictures and asking questions and generally verifying that he was looking at matched the paperwork. Gave him a list of the upgrades that the bike had been given, mostly for better braking and reliability.

And now I wait.

The plan is to use the waiting time to do the rear wheel swap and get that done. Along the way I still have to do a first start on the van and for that i still have to rework the PVC and tank vent system back to pre FI status.

Nick

Reactions: Texas82GP
I took the Grandpa Buick to get four new Walmart special tires today. It didn't fall off the lift so I guess I did a decent enough job welding up the jack points.
20230414_092621.jpg
Because my grandfather drives <2k miles a year exclusively in fair weather, there was no point in buying anything fancy because they'll probably dry rot long before they wear out. The Douglas was my first choice but they only had 3 in stock so I opted to go up one tier to the Goodyear Reliants.
20230414_110719.jpg
Afterward I brought it home and ran a can of Seafoam Top End Cleaner through it and per the instructions, drove it "spiritedly" for about 15 minutes.
20230414_113327.jpg

Then I let it cool off and changed the oil one more time to hopefully flush out any residual coolant or junk from the intake gaskets. That's my last non E-core AC Delco filter for this car.
20230414_121249.jpg

Nothing and Nothing. Friday was an unsked call in and Saturday was running errands and taking care of some me-support to-do's.

Today was a quick trip out to the shop to check inventory on 3/8ths anti-vibration internal tooth washers; had them, and same-same in 7/16ths; nope, need to visit the vendor.

The when for that all depends on how long this freezing rain crap decides to bless us with its presence. Stupid does not begin to describe how local drivers deal with icy roads. Me? I just stay home, got nothing that important or vital that I have to risk being T-boned by a sheeple doing stupid on a local street.

Nick

I walked around my projects cleaning up leaves from last fall and wondered how much the neighbors hate me.

Attachments

• PXL_20230409_170816229.jpg
    PXL_20230409_170816229.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_20220507_180305.jpg
    IMG_20220507_180305.jpg
    862.3 KB · Views: 59
  • PXL_20221119_200550990.jpg
    PXL_20221119_200550990.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 58
Reactions: melloelky
Build a smokehouse and start doing ribs and roasts and then recheck the reaction.🙂

Nick

Reactions: ck80
Nothing so far, spent the whole morning doing spreadsheet updates for this years taxes for my accountant to review. Unlike los Estados Unidos, we get 'til the end of month to remit our unfair share of the tax gouge demanded by the bureaucratic miscreants that infest the CRA; the CDN version of the USD IRS. And the bums are trying to go on strike for a 10%!!!!! raise!!!!

Nick

Nick

Last edited:

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor