What did you do to your non-G body project today? [2023]

DSCN3646.JPG

DSCN3649.JPG

So, in general agreement with the adage that one can never have enough projects, this is my, new to me, front fender for my FLH. The keen eyed will notice the non-factory included dimple in the upper curve about where the bottom triple would come into contact with a fender should the previous owner have bottomed out the front suspension trying to stop because some brainless gorm committed stupid on a grand scale.

DSCN3650.JPG

The new alloy front rim for my HD project. I have it sitting on a piece of 1/4 plywood by way of protecting the rim edges from getting dinged. It awaits a new tire.

DSCN3651.JPG

Just another picture of my Mark II Mod 2 wheel bearing endplay setting tool. In the background is my lathe for when I need to do some whitttling.

DSCN3653.JPG

Detail shot of the spindle on the setting tool. It's a good place to store some spacers of various lengths. The bearings are just there pro tem. They are used and need to be clean out and checked under a magnifying glass for any signs of scuffing or scarring.

DSCN3654.JPG

DSCN3658.JPG

Finally, a couple of shots of Plan B for creating a long enough brass drift that can be used to extract axles. Plan A was locate a 2 foot length of 3/4 round brass bar stock and use that. Uh-Uh, none to be had in this miserable excuse for a bastion of humanity.

So plan B was to snip a short piece, no more than an inch, off an existing drift punch and use that as the head for a custom length punch. After machining it down to undersize for unsurance against getting jammed, I gun drilled it blind to 5/16ths and then tapped the hole for 3/8ths NC threads. The second shot in the pair shows the section of 3/8ths thread rod that was then screwed into the brass tip until I bottomed out. The best candidate for a body would have been a section of 3/4 aluminum bar stock but that is about as rare as the brass. Thought about using steel tubing but that would not hold up to being smucked repeatedly with a hammer or other appropriate tool of not so gentle persuasion.

Finally paid a visit to E-Bay and actually found a vendor that had what I wanted in the length that I needed and was willing to sell it at a semi-civilized price. So plan A is back on the table.

This is all by way of filler; projects that can take up time and energy while I wait for the climate to warm up to an unreasonable facsimile of normal. The local weather-heads seem obsessed with the word S**w and can't appear to offer a forecast without including the possibility; to the point where the long range prognostication for the month is so totally depressing, being nothing more promising or positive than an ongoing mixture of wet, cold, and windy, lather rinse, repeat, ad nauseum.

You've seen the back wheel already. it is now back on the bench and getting a course of micro-fine sanding in preparation for being introduced to the buffing wheel. Aluminum can be given a fairly high sheen with some work; the problem is that it is porous to some degree and the only way to get that absolute level of shine perfection is if you start with an unused component, right out of the box or off the shelf.
Any amount of use, particularly for a rim or wheel, exposes it to the road scunge that comes off the asphalt and glues itself to the surface. In aluminum it can actually embed itself in the pores of the metal and will "bleed" out and contaminate the finish during the buff out. And then, of course, there is always the fun of wrestling with a 20 or so pound lump of aluminum while trying to introduce it to a rapidly spinning circle of cotton liberally saturated with buffing compound. My grinder motor hates me at this point. I should be using a 1/2 horse motor and it is only a 1/3. Priced them out and decided for what I was doing and how often, that the motor could just have to tought it out.

Nick

Reactions: 1 user
You had me at cluttered shop full of tools, equipment, and projects.

I am about done with the 1967-68 Firebird tilt steering column. I painted the top covers with wrinkle paint and shrink-wrapped the lower section. I also wrinkle-painted the Formula steering wheel to match. Then I scored a reproduction 1st gen Firebird center emblem for the horn button. A guy on FirstGenFirebird.org had a bunch made for his 1969 TA clone project. He sells them on Fleabay and I like it so much I ordered another just to have. All I am waiting for is the steering wheel nut retaining clip which is the same as our cars use. I used a 1967-72 Blazer upper tilt column shaft part and it is grooved for that clip. The entire time I was working on this I had an order placed with Firebird Cental for a re-built column. That was months ago and their supplier can't find a core to re-build. So I figured why not try and fix this one since they are so rare and valuable. And here it is:
IMG_0665.JPG
IMG_0666.JPG

Reactions: 3 users
Shop?!?!?! Bonnewagon. That's my basement!! The only way I could give you some idea of how thoroughly stuffed the garage/shop/?? is would be to climb up onto the mezzanine deck and shoot a few frames from there. And since I am not feeling all that adventurous or daring and the access ladder is buried behind a stack of 18 inch diameter spruce rounds, 4 in all, about five feet tall in total, I am not in any great hurry to go back up there. The mezzanine is my long term or cold storage; aka the place where things go to hibernate.. Examples, the spare sheet metal doors et al, for my S-10, The LS front fascia for an 85 MonteCarlo, Spare window glass, spare sheets of metal roofing, a couple of winter grade insulated tarps, a box full of exhaust bends, an intact spare dash shell for the Monte, and the list gets longer from there.

About the only way to get a sense of just how crammed the shop is would be to let one of those multi-prop drones loose and use it as a camera platform.

And Plan C for that drift punch just came on line because it turns out that my buddy had a stash of heavy wall brass tube that he scored about 50! years ago. He thinks it was steam tube that was salvaged from some shutter/72 hour/Friday-Sunday industrial renovation project at one of the mills or similar. The tube is an exact 750 meaning a bearing won't slide over it so i will have to set up the lathe to shave it about 25 thou to get some slide action going.

Nick

Last edited:
I am about done with the 1967-68 Firebird tilt steering column. I painted the top covers with wrinkle paint and shrink-wrapped the lower section. I also wrinkle-painted the Formula steering wheel to match. Then I scored a reproduction 1st gen Firebird center emblem for the horn button. A guy on FirstGenFirebird.org had a bunch made for his 1969 TA clone project. He sells them on Fleabay and I like it so much I ordered another just to have. All I am waiting for is the steering wheel nut retaining clip which is the same as our cars use. I used a 1967-72 Blazer upper tilt column shaft part and it is grooved for that clip. The entire time I was working on this I had an order placed with Firebird Cental for a re-built column. That was months ago and their supplier can't find a core to re-build. So I figured why not try and fix this one since they are so rare and valuable. And here it is: View attachment 220148View attachment 220149
Huh.

You know, you know, odds are I've got an original new one of those horn emblems around, unless they were popular to reproduce in the late 1980s. Back around 88 or 89 I bought a big assorted pile of new emblems, in my case it was to get the buick fender 'intercooled' emblem and the 'silverado' square horn emblem. And with it came around 2 dozen other things, one of which was the small roughly quarter or Susan Anthony sized bird you've got there. Never made the connection, and, wrapped the pile up in bubble wrap where it now sits..... well, who knows, somewhere in all my junk.

That's my basement!!
Yeah, mine too. Most people are afraid to go down there. But I get stuff done there so tough on them. I spent the last five years selling all my 2nd gen Firebird stuff so I could at least park a car in my garage. But the basement has boat, bicycle, fishing, car, house junk that my kids will probably send to the dump after I am gone.
odds are I've got an original new one of those horn emblems around,
If so you have a very rare and valuable item. That Formula steering wheel was used for the very first time on the 1969 Trans Am. The 'wings down' bird was used in 1967-68-69 only. The 'wings up' screaming chicken bird was used from 1970 on. So the only real Formula wheel with that 'wings down' bird could only be had on a 1969 Trans Am. And we know how few of those were made.

Reactions: 1 users
Had to get a windshield put in the wife's Santa Fe (which has to be replaced again cause I found a ripple in it after driving home in the rain). But before that I had to do a full search in the car cause a co-worker she has been giving rides to looks like she fell off the wagon & back on the rock. Found nothing. Her boss & HR person told her to quit giving rides to the co-worker.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Plan B and Plan C for the drift are on hold. Now waiting for the machinists grade brass bar from the vendor. The brass steam tube is, according to my lathe, HARD. It does not like any of the tool bits that I put up against it and skittered and gouged no matter how light the cut was. Be great if I was doing some kind of fancy design work for a lamp but that is not the end goal of this agenda.

Got this running in the background right now.

Nick

Actually, might not be. Santa Esmeralda is a U.S./French Disco group formed in the 1970s ...Members. included Leroy Gomez; and Nicolas Skorsky so they could have been part of the line up for an episode of Soul Train but their music had a definite latin/Spanish vibe to it so Brazil and Argentina aren't impossible either.

Nick

Last edited:

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor