What did you do to your non-G body project today? [2023]

Nov 4, 2012
I just got 2. One with a warranty replacement battery for the Roadmaster and the other with a pair of wiper blades for my truck.
WTF?! I'm about to call and complain! I've spent like probably $1500 and I've got no magnets to show for it!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Any other regular RockAuto customers notice they've been slacking on magnets lately? My last 7 or 8 orders, all over $100, probably since January, have only gotten maybe 1 magnet.

I want my damn magnets.
The tune up order for Jr's car had the first one we have gotten in a long time. Might of been cause it was for him & not me. BTW they are still slacking offering the discount codes. Thanks to those who post them.

Reactions: 1 user

Zeus785

Greasemonkey
Apr 30, 2018
Started Disassembly and cleaning my replacement motor for my Tahoe. I am getting the hang of soda blasting.

1696876956986.png

1696876979798.png

1696876998534.png

1696877016543.png

1696877032286.png

Reactions: 2 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Adjusted the linkage on the transfer case to get 4hi back on the k1500. got in a pretty one sided argument with the gfs aunt and her friend about the actuator possibly being bad, but 4low worked fine, i just couldnt get 4 hi to engage. was a linkage problem, i was right. hehehe.

idk what happened, but one day the column linkage and transfer linkage were just out of whack. fixed both.

Few weeks ago I replaced transmission cooler lines and upper rad hose in an oreillys parking lot in a small town while i was visiting my girlfriend. the spliced together trans lines on the rubber had a giant gash on the underside that was about to let go and the rest of the rubber parts were so old and brittle they snapped like a wafer cookie. The rad hose was hiding a split behind the hose clamp. a green misty shower alerted me to it's presence while i was checking the newly installed cooler lines for leaks. On the subject of coolant leaks, today i replaced the lower rad hose hoping to cure a coolant drip, but no. The brand new 5 month old water pump is leaking. Yay. Chinese sh*t.
As for how the truck runs after the new heads, it runs pretty damn good, better than before infact. No more smoking at startup (duh, brand new machined heads i scored for $80 on marketplace), and seems to have a bit more pep than before. During trying to get the timing right for initial startup once i got the heads on to see if the bottom end was smoked from overheating so bad the engine shut itself off, it backfired so loud and hard it blew the muffler apart. Other than that, I drive it on weekends i make the trek out in the boonies where my gf lives because her driveway is a muddy hilly mess.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Finished a long haul up in the 496 yukon today. A trip by the numbers:

Days; 25
Miles: 3,902
States visited: 15
Concerts seen: 7
Gallons of gas: 258
Quarts of oil burned: 0.75
Cases of Polar soda: 8
Litres of Mead: 8
Bottles of Polish liquor: 16
Apples picked: 2 bushels, 3 pecks
Blacksmith visits: 22
Free T-shirts: 6 Massachusetts, 26 Chevrolet, 1 from Dokken Roadie.

I'm sure there's some more ridiculous numbers I could pull out if I look through receipts, or count parade beads, etc.

Takeaway: this rig got 15.15mpg overall including running through quite a bit of hills, not just flatland, and stop and go traffic as well. Was fairly empty on the trip up but had a bit over 2600# payload in the truck on the return.

There's some concert videos to be uploaded, I'll dumb the resolution down to fit for those more interested in hearing the bands than seeing video. I'll make an off-topic thread.

Included Fogerty/CCW, BTO, Dokken, Foghat, Dire Straits Legacy (former band touring members reunited), Jefferson Airplane/Starship, and a couple others, although, sometimes phone died which meant not much or any video.

But, should be more on the board a bit for a week or two, before things creep back up pulling me different directions....

Reactions: 4 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Finished a long haul up in the 496 yukon today. A trip by the numbers:

Days; 25
Miles: 3,902
States visited: 15
Concerts seen: 7
Gallons of gas: 258
Quarts of oil burned: 0.75
Cases of Polar soda: 8
Litres of Mead: 8
Bottles of Polish liquor: 16
Apples picked: 2 bushels, 3 pecks
Blacksmith visits: 22
Free T-shirts: 6 Massachusetts, 26 Chevrolet, 1 from Dokken Roadie.

I'm sure there's some more ridiculous numbers I could pull out if I look through receipts, or count parade beads, etc.

Takeaway: this rig got 15.15mpg overall including running through quite a bit of hills, not just flatland, and stop and go traffic as well. Was fairly empty on the trip up but had a bit over 2600# payload in the truck on the return.

There's some concert videos to be uploaded, I'll dumb the resolution down to fit for those more interested in hearing the bands than seeing video. I'll make an off-topic thread.

Included Fogerty/CCW, BTO, Dokken, Foghat, Dire Straits Legacy (former band touring members reunited), Jefferson Airplane/Starship, and a couple others, although, sometimes phone died which meant not much or any video.

But, should be more on the board a bit for a week or two, before things creep back up pulling me different directions....
I've come to the conclusion those GMT800 trucks are the pinnacle of GM trucks. I'm far more impressed with my brother's 2002 Sierra, which he bought new in late September, 2001, than I am with my GMT900, which I bought new in March, 2008. I'm unimpressed by the overpriced, under-engineered contemporary offerings from GM.

15 MPG out of a 496 pulling a vehicle pushing three tons, plus payload, is impressive. Glad to see y'all had a good trip and got home safe.

Reactions: 3 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I've come to the conclusion those GMT800 trucks are the pinnacle of GM trucks. I'm far more impressed with my brother's 2002 Sierra, which he bought new in late September, 2001, than I am with my GMT900, which I bought new in March, 2008. I'm unimpressed by the overpriced, under-engineered contemporary offerings from GM.

15 MPG out of a 496 pulling a vehicle pushing three tons, plus payload, is impressive. Glad to see y'all had a good trip and got home safe.
The *only* shortfall of a gmt800 like mine is twofold - rust, and rear frame/factory hitch design. They're a step backwards in that department. Rust is pretty well known. The rear frame/hitch issue can be offset by a quality unit like a drawtite. The factory design ended short, and, right at a energy absorption zone so what happens is with a heavy load the bumper and hitch bend downwards towards the ground and you're done, frame swap time, IF you tow heavy with a good bit of tongue weight.

But, the 4l85e and 496 were a nice combo. The 6.0s? Not so much.

I attribute the mileage to 2 things - first, running the Michelin LTX, they always do better even just by a bit. Second, is driving style. I always consistently get better mileage out of my vehicles than say my wife, or others. Preventing downshifting, building speed on the downgrades and bleeding off 5 or 7mph on steep hills, cost to decelerate when you can, using good filters and oil. Also, if the price is within 10% I buy ethanol free. Better for the truck, better power, better mileage, and, the boost in mpg offsets the cost of the real gas over the e10, again, if it's only 10% or less in money.

Usually I see 13-15mpg depending on if I'm towing or not, and that's about 20k miles of data at this point.

Reactions: 1 users
Nov 4, 2012
I've become convinced that GM genuinely has no idea what they are doing. They don't know who their market is, they don't know what their product focus should be, and Crayola probably spends more on engineering than the entirety of GM. They know people like trucks, but instead of making oh, I dunno, transmissions that don't starve themselves of fluid, or rocker panels that don't rust out in 5 years, they came up with a gimmicky tailgate that no one asked for and another sh*t interior that squeaks right off the showroom floor.

GMC has no reason to exist now that Chevy is basically all trucks and SUVs and equally luxurious. Or does Chevy still have cars? Does Chevy still make the Impala or Malibu? How would we know? They definitely don't run any commercials for them.

Buick has zero brand identity. They abandoned selling to the AARP crowd and have failed to sell to anyone else. Except China.

Cadillac... exists? Are they a performance brand now? Or a luxury brand? Both? Does anyone know?

BTW, if you're on Facebook, you need to follow GMT800s with threatening auras. It is to Facebook, what the GMT800 was to GM trucks.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
I have a line of people wanting to buy my 2001 Sierra 2500HD that I have no intention to sell and I've made it known. I have no interest in getting anything newer unless it's close to a 2013 Cummins, and that's if I needed a diesel.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor