What did you do to your non-G Body project today [2024 edition]

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
Dude, black cars in de-icer country. Bold move.
The focus is my sacrificial offering to save as much as I can on my truck. My wife's Trax , she's not worried about it.

Besides, salt don't care about paint color!

Reactions: 2 users

Local Hero

G-Body Guru
Nov 24, 2016
Northcoast, Cleveland, Ohio
You didn't mention it but at some point someone did a full fade-away on the front fenders. On a stock 36, the front fender would have ended at the firewall. In the pictures you posted, the side shot shows the front fender running completely back and shrinking in height as it does so before it dead ends at the beginning of the rear fender.

That is a post war custom body treatment that takes a Lot of work to do and get right. Basically those sponsons had to be shaped from sheet metal and then a subframe attached to the body to hold and support them. If done during the era, then it's a lot of brazing or heavy solder work as they did not have Mig or Tig to call upon. The seam and supporting struts where the sponson and body metal met had to be tight and strong or the extra weight could crack the seam, even though the body work was probably lead.

Back in the fifties, before lawyers and liability became endemic, the little books would often post how-to articles and showed how things like that modification were done. They got into details, which doesn't often happen much anymore because of publisher fears that some no-load will try to do what the article is discussing, break or damage something, or do the work improperly and get injured or dead as a result, and up pops a lawsuit.

The sharing of knowledge was one of the reasons the car clubs came to be; if you didn't know how to do something on your car, someone else in the club might and the knowledge would get shared. Sort of what goes on here, only we do it mostly by remote control, otherwise known as the forums.

Nick
Correct on all points Nick!

Dad made the fadeaways in the early 2000s. He first mocked them up out of poster board to get a visual. Then he created wire frames out of round rod and bent the sheet metal over those frames to get the eventual shape. Dad learned how to sling lead back on the first few cars he owned in the late 40s and early 50s. Then he got out of bodywork and instead focused on the mechanical side and ran a Texaco Service Station for many, many years before closing it up, bringing all the equipment home to do side work and then went to work at UPS where he eventually worked his way back into the body shop repairing all the wrecked package trucks. While he eventually bought a mig welder which he used sporadically, his tool of choice was the oxy acetylene gas welding rig. He was a master at hammer welding.

As I work my way through this entire car getting it back together and soon back on the road, every day I find something new that I never knew which explains why he was working on this car for the last several decades.

Reactions: 2 users
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Since the trans cooler line incident on the Envoy, I'd ordered some compression union barb fittings.

PXL_20240128_213512839.jpg

Prior I'd had 2 clamps per, which I guess wasn't enough. I found out. I should have taken a better true after shot as I spritzed some crud cutter up in there and hit it with the pressure washer. Then washed the 1500, Envoy, and Z06 since they might actually stay clean for 3 days given the current forecast, but that could change in 5 minutes. . .

Reactions: 1 user

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
After working on the Monte a bit, we pulled this out to look it over and get a list
20240127_115121.jpg
20240127_114122.jpg
20240127_105619.jpg
for his buddy that is building it for his son to drive at 16....

Reactions: 6 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
heater hose blew on the k1500 again, that's it. I had enough and replaced the heater hoses, despite them looking and feeling good. Im guessing they;re at least 20 years old. It didn't overheat this time, only got to about 230ish, i was only a few blocks from home this time.
lesson be told, procrastinating will always bite you in the *ss.

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
You guys are having a CO winter down there? High of 61 today and 62 tomorrow here. :cool:
I know a few people in several different places that have had higher than normal temps in the last couple days. I'm ready for the 70s and 80s again.

Ugly1

Royal Smart Person
Oct 26, 2021
Lost in the woods of NH
Being the best way to cover all over the US. Need a couple of rear side doors for a 2003 ford supercab ( extended cab) they don’t make them. What states have on a better chance of super clean ones. I live in NH and metal mites are hungry little buggers!
I have about 2 weeks to do a vacation/ parts hunt and figured I could pick up some.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor