What Happens to Folks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

carnutjw

G-Body Guru
Sep 17, 2017
This thread is all over the place, I've been imbibing, so great time to chime in.
I use Youtube to see how to do and NOT to do things. Pretty sure it's causing me to have more wrinkles due to the contortions of my face from the puzzlement I sometimes experience. Don't even get me started on Facebook groups-Whew!- "How much can I lower my car by letting air out of the tires?"- " Uhhh, I'm gonna guess two to five inches depending on tire sidewall height, but I wouldn't recommend it", or something just that stupid.
Here- just too many squirrels running around to focus on the original question. Funny, but definitely not focused. It's hard to say why people come and go, basically 1,000,001 reasons.

Reactions: 1 users

1983calais

Master Mechanic
Feb 26, 2015
Tiffin, OH
I haven’t posted in a couple years. I still visit the site once or twice a month. I work entirely too much.

Reactions: 1 user

84dragcutlass

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2009
North Vernon IN
I watched a guy on a Youtube video take the retaining nut off the top of a strut with no spring compressor. He seemed really confident until the thing went off like a bomb. Definitely the place to learn what not to do and since i started posting stuff on there that became extra true.

• Haha

Hurricane77

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2020
Ottawa, Canada
I've found forums in general to be less and less popular, which is a shame. A lot of groups moved to FB, which I find a real shame. Searching for info in a Facebook group is painful to say the least. Following a build thread? Impossible.

YouTube's okay IMO. Usually if looking for how something comes apart of goes together, YT can be great to get a better perspective. Unlike some forum photos where the frame of the picture is so bad you're not even sure what you're looking at. Or trying to remove a difficult piece. 1st photo is the piece in place, then some blah blah about, "Oh I twisted it like this and it came out" When they really fail to mention that they had to rotate the part into a alternate dimension to actually get it out. Video is great for that. I recall helping the son of a friend to replace the clutch in his Acura RSX. Would have required a ton of work to pull a bunch of topside stuff. Quick YT search and we see someone pull 4 bolts and drop the whole front K-member out. I never would have thought of doing that.

Some forums I've either moved on from that particular topic (like selling the car), or just kind of get bored with it. After a while you get tired of wading through 6 threads a week about which size wheels and tires fit.

I do quite prefer forums though. Searchable, organized, threaded, certainly easier to follow than other platforms. Shame they've decreased in popularity. I think in some cases though, forums used to be a labor of love for people dedicated to a particular topic. Often managed and paid for by someone out of their own pocket, maybe with the help of paid membership or something. Many have gone the way of Facebook with no out of pocket costs

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
This thread is all over the place, I've been imbibing, so great time to chime in.
I use Youtube to see how to do and NOT to do things. Pretty sure it's causing me to have more wrinkles due to the contortions of my face from the puzzlement I sometimes experience. Don't even get me started on Facebook groups-Whew!- "How much can I lower my car by letting air out of the tires?"- " Uhhh, I'm gonna guess two to five inches depending on tire sidewall height, but I wouldn't recommend it", or something just that stupid.
Here- just too many squirrels running around to focus on the original question. Funny, but definitely not focused. It's hard to say why people come and go, basically 1,000,001 reasons.
Definition of IMBIBE : to drink or to absorb. Not sure if you're absorbing the info here or two sheets to the wind.

I'm done stowing nuts for winter, so squirrel I am not.

;)

p.s. - thanks for the new vocabulary word - never expecting that on the G-body forum. Appreciate my horizon (vocabulary) being expanded.

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
Definition of IMBIBE : to drink or to absorb. Not sure if you're absorbing the info here or two sheets to the wind.

I'm done stowing nuts for winter, so squirrel I am not.

;)

p.s. - thanks for the new vocabulary word - never expecting that on the G-body forum. Appreciate my horizon (vocabulary) being expanded.
I wish learning it was like this...

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor