What Happens to Folks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wayoutthere007

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 2, 2022
there's so many forums. i found this one recently. i've been on montecarloss since 07 or so. it's gotten pretty quiet over there lately though.
nastyz28 was fun - learned a lot about vortec heads there (i installed 062's on my roller 350). i see turbobuick is back up - which is good i guess. only spent time there learning about the 200-4r and converters. this site seems to be fairly active which is nice.
i think it's also less people have g-bodys and want to work on them. idk. i'm old so i love them as the 80's was a great time for me and my friends.

Reactions: 7 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
I'm still here yes I went dormant for a while but I've got a wife and 2 daughters and life gets in the way of hobbies sometimes. I still talk to one member that vanished from here he had his reasons different than most he won't be back and he's got 2 g-bodies now but he had a difference of opinion and he's gone. Then I'm sure there's those that sell there G and move on personally I like it here and I've met 3 members in person got along with all of them haven't seen anything from them on here in quite some time but that's not to say there gone maybe I just haven't seen there posts. One was in my and had a beautiful Malibu and a cutlass one had an 83 Hurst Olds in old bridge NJ and of course one had a green pig lol I get on here when I can and I contribute what I can rarely do I have time to actually look around because life gets in the way.
Btw this thing really went off the rails a couple pages back! LoL

Reactions: 4 users

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
Forums are for the hardcore, fakebook/social media for the drama. BTW stop with U-tube's of people working on cars, if I wanted to watch people do sh*t wrong I'd go back to work.

• Haha
  • Agree
Reactions: 6 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Forums are for the hardcore, fakebook/social media for the drama. BTW stop with U-tube's of people working on cars, if I wanted to watch people do sh*t wrong I'd go back to work.
Damn straight - guns, cool cars and gumption (whatever TF that is), FB is for kids with a cell phone!!!! FYI - I'm still using a bag phone.

There is some good stuff on YouTube, but there is far more garbage and people adding content that are nitwits (like me haha).

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

wayoutthere007

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 2, 2022

I think like anything on the internet take everything with a grain of salt. Lots of misinformation out there, but, there's also a lot of good stuff. One YouTube video I watched was doing a clutch in a Camry without pulling the engine. He just moved the left side knuckle off to the side and the trans can move to the left enough to do a clutch, pressure plate, and flywheel. Saved me a ton of time as the "official way" is to remove the engine.

Trouble is, most people don't know enough to understand the misinformation. And I believe that all social media is cancer. Zero good comes out of it. If only people understood it's design is simply for data mining and marketing purposes they'd leave it and let it die.

Reactions: 2 users

JohnIL

Greasemonkey
Sep 9, 2020
Central Illinois
I've been watching this thread to see the reasons people come and go from the forum. For me, forum participation changes with my focus. You all have been an amazing resource as my son and I work on our '83 El Camino project. When I lose focus on the El Camino, I tend to disappear for a while.

In the past, I've been active on the International Full Size Jeep Association forum and the Yesterdays Tractors forum. Both forums are great resources and great communities. But, we sold our '88 Jeep Grand Wagoneer a few years ago. That left me with very little day-to-day interest in full size Jeeps. It was a fun project, but I've moved on. Our family has several antique tractors, but when I'm not working on them everyday, I lose interest in the tractor forum.

When I'm actively focused on a topic, I try to give back, if I can help others. When my focus shifts to a different kind of project, I fall off the radar. I'm just thankful that there are forums available with experts who are willing to help out when a casual wrench turner like me gets in over my head.

From my experience, there tends to be a small dedicated group of experts on each forum that makes the community tick. Without those experts, the forum wouldn't last. The difference with this forum are the build threads. Of course, there are build threads on other forums, but I've never seen so much amazing work and useful information shared on individual builds. This is what prompted me to start my own build thread. I've learned so much from everyone else' builds and I hope our build can help out the next guy.

• Agree
Reactions: 8 users

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
From my experience, there tends to be a small dedicated group of experts on each forum that makes the community tick. Without those experts, the forum wouldn't last. The difference with this forum are the build threads. Of course, there are build threads on other forums, but I've never seen so much amazing work and useful information shared on individual builds. This is what prompted me to start my own build thread. I've learned so much from everyone else' builds and I hope our build can help out the next guy.
THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ AMEN brother-I could not have said it better!

Reactions: 2 users

gbodytoys

G-Body Guru
May 1, 2014
Detroit, MI
Damn straight - guns, cool cars and gumption (whatever TF that is), FB is for kids with a cell phone!!!! FYI - I'm still using a bag phone.

There is some good stuff on YouTube, but there is far more garbage and people adding content that are nitwits (like me haha).

Actually, Tiktok, snapchat, and perhaps instagram are for kids with a cellphone. Facebook's demographic is the oldest of all social media. There's data out there if you'd like to know (if you choose to believe the data).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor