What Is The First Car You Were Obsessed With?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BELLELJ1981

Greasemonkey
Jul 7, 2012
5.7 liter Diesel in Greenville Nc
1977 Buick Regal, Red with white vinyl interior. Unfortunately my dad was all ford so I ended up with the 1977 Ford Thunderbird 400M (Modified 351) 4 barrel. Would get up and go. I could not talk him into it.

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
I was 12 in 1977 so it was the 1977 911 Turbo Carrera.

For most kids in 1977 is was a Black Trans Am, but I knew '77 trans am couldn't run 13 second 1/4's or go 160 mph.

I never did buy one because they were always too expensive. Now they are just stupid expensive.

FastCraig

Master Mechanic
Sep 11, 2017
Huntington, WV
1971 Hemi Cuda. The owner lived halfway between my friends house and mine. It was a 1/4 mile race car. He bought it new, took everything out that didn't need to be in it to race and wrapped it up and stored it. It had 3 or 4 intakes, carbs, heads, auto and manual trans including a Lenco. I helped him wrench, clean it, polish it just about anything to be able to go along on the test runs with him in the country. It was simply the baddest, loudest car I had ever been around. In 1977 (I was 17) he was having a baby and was selling the car and all the stuff for $2400.00, special price for me, and he would "detune" it so I could drive it on the street. The bank wouldn't give me a loan without a cosigner so I begged my dad. He knew the car so he declined and probably saved my life. I ended up getting a Green 70 Road Runner off a friend who had too many tickets.

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
My first car obsession surrounded my first car - a 1st gen Ford Probe

I have had 3, and liked them all.

A 91 GL with a 2.2 4 cyl - First car, wrecked like a dumb *ss.
A 91 LX with the Yamaha 3.0 - Second car, all options available in that car, should have kept, would go north of 130mph with speed limiter wire cut.
An 89 GT with a turbo 2.2 and 5 speed - Same as pictured below, had lower top speed than V6 due to gearing but would get to 125mph in a big hurry, died when a lady with a "Can I see your manager?" haircut pulled out in front of me. Left a perfect imprint of the Goodyear logo in the front bumper.
30818250002_large.jpg

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
My Dad has a buddy who just finished an LS2/T56 '58 and I think it's green like that one. It is the 3rd or 4th LS/6speed 58-59-60 he has built.
If I could afford to pull off building one I'd be putting in an W motor in it. But a 6 speed works.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
da05bf6ad937bf6e249806e339a0fa52--dukes-of-hazard--dodge-charger.jpg

The General Lee was the very first car I was obessed over. I had tons of diecast models (before people stopped selling them because 20 something white kids getting mad at a show form the 80s) and watched the episodes religiously.

The first car that got me to like g bodies was my dad's old 81 GP. He bought it 3 years before I was born, and sadly the only memories I have of it are when my dad sold it to my uncle and they were tearing it apart. Uncle eventually put in a SBC (my dad took the '71 350 olds out of it it had when he bought it) and a TH350. Sold the car, and said he saw it broke down on the side of the highway. The gas gauge never worked (car used to be a diesel), so they think that's why it was stranded.
grandprix.jpg
grandprix2.jpg
grandprix3.jpg

I first saw a GN in 2009 in the 4th Fast & Furious movie, and wanted one. I was 11. Fast forward to 2014, I got my Regal. Hell, it was basically a GN. Minus the turbo. :p And here we are today.

Reactions: 2 users

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
I will build a '55 Chevy gasser one day. It's toward the top of my list of must-build cars. This picture is what turned me on to Tri-5s-

View attachment 81005

I wasn't crazy about the final result of this specific car, but the idea of an original, rust free body with cool patina and radius-cut wheel arches on a racing chassis with a modern Hemi powerplant makes me smile. It will happen one day.

can't believe that you didn't like the "BlaspHemi"....I loved the tongue-in-cheek name they gave it!

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
thank you for the link, that is a great story and it shows what can be done with those old cars with no computers and minimal electronics to make them last......
they really were cool little cars, I liked them because I thought they might've been volvo's affordable answer to the aston-martins and jags of the day... IDK if it holds the top record anymore, but that one at the time I had seen it, was the mileage world record holder...

I've kept an eye out the last several years for a decently priced 122 amazon around here.... always kinda dug them, and thought they'd be great for a quad 4 or small v-6 conversion... saw a video a few years ago, where a guy set a v-8 in one, and said that had gobs of power, but handled like a cement mixer....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor