What Is The First Car You Were Obsessed With?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
they really were cool little cars, I liked them because I thought they might've been volvo's affordable answer to the aston-martins and jags of the day... IDK if it holds the top record anymore, but that one at the time I had seen it, was the mileage world record holder...

I've kept an eye out the last several years for a decently priced 122 amazon around here.... always kinda dug them, and thought they'd be great for a quad 4 or small v-6 conversion... saw a video a few years ago, where a guy set a v-8 in one, and said that had gobs of power, but handled like a cement mixer....

the 122 is great for camping, it holds lots of 24's in the huge trunk.....:friday:

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Nov 4, 2012
can't believe that you didn't like the "BlaspHemi"....I loved the tongue-in-cheek name they gave it!

I like what they started out with, but I guess I was expecting a different end result. The name is perfect, it couldn't be more fitting.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I would say for me it has always been a 1973 Grand Am since I had one when I was younger but ended up having to sell it.
Since the design was a one year only car with the nose and rear tail panel and tail lights being different from the 74'. and 75' and with only a 3 year run total of this style replacement parts for these are pretty much non existent, so I have accepted the fact that I will most likely never own another.
images.jpg
images (1).jpg

Reactions: 5 users
I've always loved the Shelby Cobras, and also the newer Series1
I was lucky enough to visit the Shelby museum several years ago. I have several diecast cars of this car, my favorite.
22.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I've always loved the Shelby Cobras, and also the newer Series1
I was lucky enough to visit the Shelby museum several years ago. I have several diecast cars of this car, my favorite.
View attachment 81039

There are a few other cars I have always been fascinated with: the F40, early 911 RSs, and AC Cobras - specifically the Super Snake(s). Twin supercharged 427 death traps.

We actually have an FIA Cobra at work now that we need to repair the hood. If I remember, I'll post up a pic or two. It's a glass car with a 427, about 600hp skateboard.

Reactions: 2 users

ItsnotaGN

G-Body Guru
May 28, 2016
Colorado
Where I grew up on Long Island, there was a red P1800, it's the one where the owner has logged 3+ million miles on it. In the 80's it supposedly had 1 million miles. Occasionally we would see it in town parked next to a diner in Patchouge LINY.

wonderboy24

Royal Smart Person
Jul 10, 2012
Davenport, Iowa
dont have a pic of it. my cousin had a 68 GTO with 400 with 4 speed. the first stick i ever drove that thing would get up and go.always wanted one. someday i will have one.

• Optimistic
Reactions: 1 user

RustRocket

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2014
Las Vegas, Nevada
I remember being into cars since I could remember. I was born in Portland in '97, so my Dad was a big lowrider guy. His first car was a '75 Impala 4-door hardtop, dark green with green guts and a black top, it was backyard-lowered in '92 at his friend's parent's house. Interestingly, that friend now lives in what was his parents house, and just a couple years ago while digging up the back yard he found the tow bar from the Impala, more than 20 years later.
Anyway, my Dad later had a '79 Sedan DeVille that he paid $300 for, also lowered with wire wheels.
Seen here in this pic with my older brother around 2002(?) Man, digital cameras sucked back then.
caddy.jpg

Even our old '93 Astro what lowered 5" in the back, 4" in the front
oldastro.jpg

Anyway, I remember being really into Jeeps when I was quite young. The Wagoneer caught my attention, as did the YJ Wrangler, partially because there's a ton of them up there, and partially because watching Jurassic Park was a weekly occurrence at our house.
Fast forward to beyond 2005 when we moved here to Nevada. I think I truly became obsessed with cars again when I was in 7th/8th grade, which was the same time my brother got his license, and my dad bought his Roadmaster. Dad bought a 220k mile, '94 F150 with the 351 and AOD-something auto trans, peg leg 9-inch out back. He paid $900 and let my brother drive it. Sumbitch would lay patch for a city block and get 4.5mpg the entire time. Best mileage we could get out of it was 7. It was a bitchin truck while it lasted, but my brother locked it up in a mud puddle. He went through a few more cars but by my Sophomore year, he had his '94 Z28 and his '81 Caprice. Sure, the Camaro got wrecked but it was fun while it lasted.
But that '81 Caprice got me really into racing and especially sleepers.
caprice.jpg

She looked like hell, but being an ex-diesel car, it stretched head bolts and was an all-around pain in the *ss, so the previous owner did what anyone would. Throw a '76 J-Head 455 in it with some decking, milling, port and polish, an itty bitty cam, and a '74 Poncho TH400. It has a 2.29 peg-leg, but for some reason this car would just hook up and move out. It only ever lost on the street twice(we were dumb, I know), to a 2013 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution, and much later to a *Brand new* 2014 Mustang with the 3.7 V6. Some kid who's parents bought him a nice car and thinks he's the bomb with his V6. We lost to the Mustang by 6 inches. He was looking over at us the entire time, looking like he'd seen a ghost. Now what's funny, is at this time the Caprice was running on 6 cylinders. That car was way faster than the body could handle, and way faster than anyone had thought. That car, along with lowriders, and my Dad's taste in big 4-door V8's made me obsessed with the entire Malaise era. Sure, I like most every car from every era, but 77-90 is so attainable, and although what they lack in power they make up for in charm.

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
The first car I pined over was a 1977 Trans Am. I saw Smokey and the Bandit as a kid and wanted one bad.

My first car was a 1970 Nova SS. I still have a soft spot for that body style.

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor