Whats wrong here (WTF Pypes?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldmansmonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 29, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Glad I saw this. I'll never do business with a company that doesn't stand behind their product.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I really liked their early A-body kit. It's a shame that a US/Local company has to get shittier as they get bigger. Try to get a refund, and go for the MBS pipes, I guess- maybe wait for Mr. Sony's review, first.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
My 3" kit did not display any of these issues with my 80s cool guy tailpipes. I did however have Pypes send me 2 new mufflers due to incomplete welds internally... they let me keep the originals set too. The number of folks scamming companies these days is high so I understand their reluctance to just do every possible thing for you. And to be fair this is a $400 stainless exhaust system, not a $1400 kit. The price point makes the profit margins smaller and you are going to give something up in the sale. I cut and welded nearly every inch of my Pypes exhaust to suit my needs. In retrospect $750 on Holley's new exhaust would have made more sense.

Reactions: 1 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
My 3" kit did not display any of these issues with my 80s cool guy tailpipes. I did however have Pypes send me 2 new mufflers due to incomplete welds internally... they let me keep the originals set too. The number of folks scamming companies these days is high so I understand their reluctance to just do every possible thing for you. And to be fair this is a $400 stainless exhaust system, not a $1400 kit. The price point makes the profit margins smaller and you are going to give something up in the sale. I cut and welded nearly every inch of my Pypes exhaust to suit my needs. In retrospect $750 on Holley's new exhaust would have made more sense.
On the flip side, it IS a nearly $500 system. Stock replacement parts on your run of the mill gbody are under $100 to go from intermediate pipe to muffler to tailpipe.... so it IS still a pricey system, and to many of their customers, $500 isn't chump change.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
On the flip side, it IS a nearly $500 system. Stock replacement parts on your run of the mill gbody are under $100 to go from intermediate pipe to muffler to tailpipe.... so it IS still a pricey system, and to many of their customers, $500 isn't chump change.

So then buy the $100 2.25" crush bent mild steel direct replacement system and keep the car stock. This is a hobby, not a right or privilege, and even entry-level high end parts are a discretionary expense at best. I appreciate wanting value for money - but there is a limit and one must manage a degree of reasonable expectations.

I get the pipes should be right. But they are close enough for the money. As mentioned the Holley kit is worlds better in engineering and production quality. For an extra $250 you will end up spending fighting with Pypes (figuratively and literally).

Do your own business case.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
So then buy the $100 2.25" crush bent mild steel direct replacement system and keep the car stock. This is a hobby, not a right or privilege, and even entry-level high end parts are a discretionary expense at best. I appreciate wanting value for money - but there is a limit and one must manage a degree of reasonable expectations.

I get the pipes should be right. But they are close enough for the money. As mentioned the Holley kit is worlds better in engineering and production quality. For an extra $250 you will end up spending fighting with Pypes (figuratively and literally).

Do your own business case.

I think thats where I'd need to respectfully disagree.

If we were talking sloppy, but effective, welds I'd agree. Or the difference between auto show model itroduction paint and factory production paint... or parts showing up with scratches in edp coating or box wear.

What we have here is two issues - one, the part just plain doesn't fit out of the box, a situation made worse when the company's own sample/stock part DOES fit. They wound up with a manufacturing defect plain and clear. That's kind of like saying your chevrolet is incapable of holding an alignment from the factory, and without custom fabrication work, you can't eliminate the severe vibration or get it to drive straight. But hey, you didn't buy a Mercedes so it's your fault, go fix it.

Aftermarket body parts at least come plastered everywhere with warnings they do not offer factory fit and finish and may require modification to align with factory panels. The pipes kit doesn't have all those warning in the advertising that I know of saying you may need to cut, weld, and effectively remake parts of the kit due to defective bends differing from the advertised product.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
The price point makes the profit margins smaller and you are going to give something up in the sale.
Doesn't cost extra to put the bends in the right place.

Also doesn't cost extra to make sure the production piece matches your company stock/sample piece.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Doesn't cost extra to put the bends in the right place.

Also doesn't cost extra to make sure the production piece matches your company stock/sample piece.

Who do you think is bending your budget built stainless exhaust system? A high-priced fabricator or this guy?

tweekers-be-like-idont-know-why-cant-finda-job-gl-28864716.png

Same level of quality goes into your Chevy. Higher production and personnel tolerances come at a price. Want better stuff? Buy better stuff. Cannot afford it? Work harder.

Caveat emptor.

Reactions: 1 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
"Unfortunately, I don't have an alternative for you. The only thing I can tell you is to have a shop flatten out the bend a little so it doesn't stick up so high. I bet it's off a degree or two."

he bets????....if the pipes are not bent at the correct angles then the computer program needs to be adjusted and the pipes can be easily measured. There is an alternative however, there are other companies who offer exhaust systems that are not out by a degree or 2

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Who do you think is bending your budget built stainless exhaust system? A high-priced fabricator or this guy?

tweekers-be-like-idont-know-why-cant-finda-job-gl-28864716.png

Same level of quality goes into your Chevy. Higher production and personnel tolerances come at a price. Want better stuff? Buy better stuff. Cannot afford it? Work harder.

Caveat emptor.

On something mass produced... I'd expect it to be run by computers/machines.

Meanwhile... you don't find fault with something advertised as "direct fit" and being anything but... just because of comparative price? Ok. Just making sure I understand your position. Doesn't make sense to me, but you're entitled to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor